Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with new cue please

hi all,
    I was hoping some of you could help me with a dilemma I'm having. I have a really nice Garry Taylor hand spliced cue (cue doctor) but I just don't seem to play at my best. out of interest the other day I tried my sons cue which is a cheap mass produced pretty unknown cue but it instantly felt heaps better and I could barely miss a pot? the only obvious difference other than the quality is the weights, mine is approximately 18 oz and my sons is almost 19 oz, could this alone make that much difference?
    anyway this has led to my so far agonising search for a new cue which is becoming quite frustrating, I only have around £150 to spend and although there seems to be lots on offer online, I cant find anywhere where I could go and try a few different cues out? I live in Basildon Essex and other than the cue doctor where I bought my current cue from there doesn't appear to be any other shops around?
    any advice you could give me would be gratefully received, I know its a fairly low budget but that's what I have to work with
    if you could recommend any make of cue and or any shops/snooker clubs that sell reasonable cues that would be of great help.
    sorry for the long winded post, and thank you in advance for your help.
    regards
    nick

You could always get a bit more weight into yours...

Comment

i suspect it is all in the mind.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

hi Karlos thanks for your reply, I have already asked Garry Taylor if he could add the extra weight but he's reluctant to do it as he fears it may crack the butt trying to remove the brass fitting for the extension?

Comment

hi ADR147 I wish it was all in the mind but unfortunately not.
          I used to play a hell of lot years ago and have only recently got back into it after about 15 years (probably my sons interest). I used to play with Stuart Bingham and Brian Salmon to mention a couple of people, although I was never at their level I played off -21 so I guess I was ok (not so good now lol). the only reason for mentioning it was to show I have a rough idea around a cue / table so I know something isn't quite right. I've had Joe Lazarus who teaches take a look at my stance and cuing action to eliminate that but apart from some fine tuning that seems to be fairly ok so apart from the cue I'm lost? I know age and eye sight plays a big part but its more to do with the feel through the cue and the contact with the cue ball, somehow it just doesn't feel connected? when I used my sons it felt more like an extension to my arm, that's the only way I can really describe it??????

thanks for your comment though.

Comment

How does he feel about your cue, does he not fancy a swap?
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Could be the extra weight, could be the balance or stiffness of the shaft or even butt diameter, so many things it could be, maybe you just need to get used to how your cue plays and adapt to it or you could spend a fortune chasing the 'one' and never find it. Good luck

Comment

Originally Posted by Nickhudson1 View Post
                hi ADR147 I wish it was all in the mind but unfortunately not.
                I used to play a hell of lot years ago and have only recently got back into it after about 15 years (probably my sons interest). I used to play with Stuart Bingham and Brian Salmon to mention a couple of people, although I was never at their level I played off -21 so I guess I was ok (not so good now lol). the only reason for mentioning it was to show I have a rough idea around a cue / table so I know something isn't quite right. I've had Joe Lazarus who teaches take a look at my stance and cuing action to eliminate that but apart from some fine tuning that seems to be fairly ok so apart from the cue I'm lost? I know age and eye sight plays a big part but its more to do with the feel through the cue and the contact with the cue ball, somehow it just doesn't feel connected? when I used my sons it felt more like an extension to my arm, that's the only way I can really describe it??????

thanks for your comment though.

Nick,

I don't believe for one moment that any of it is in the mind. I'm sure it's a physical thing and that you can feel the cue is not doing what you ask of it, whereas on trying your son's cue, it gives you more of what you ask instantly. A player playing off a handicap of -21 knows how to play and strike the ball, and so, would likely be able to tell that the cue is either behaving well or not.

The probelm you have is this....

Weight alone is most definitely not going to be the reason this cue does what it does compared to yours.

A combination of a number of things can, and will, affect the way a cue plays. Without trying them first hand, it's impossible for anyone to give you pointers on where to look with regard to adjusting your own cue to bring about improvements to it. People will place value on all aspects of a cue's specs, but in reality, it may be one, or all of them that cause an issue. More often than not with a problem cue, it's a combination, although it's not always easy to pinpoint what.

If you have played well and consistently with yuor cue in the past, then the thing that wil have changed is you, not the cue. Having said that, that is not to say that the cue is perfect or even good, it may well not be. The thing with trying other cues is that at times, we will come across those which just seem to do what we ask of them with ease, firing the ball as accurately as we would like, responsive and powerful with a good comfortable feel in your hands. These are the sort of trustworthy and reliable cues that players should hold onto and carry on using. The trick is finding one that feels like that.

If your budget is limited, I'd try a few used cues as locally as you can. What you don't like you don't buy, simple.
                apart from that, buying without trying may lead to disappointment or absolute joy, you cannot tell.

Comment

Thanks Dave I fear you could be right, I may just try another reasonably priced cue with a different weight & balance just to see if that makes a difference, as you say I don't want to be chasing "the one" if it is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have to say I hadnt considered the balance and I think you could be on to something there, thanks for your help I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Thanks Trevs1, I've never really played anywhere near my best with this cue so I'll definitely try another, as you say it's extremely difficult to put your finger on exactly where the problem lies, I'm fairly confident it's a weight / balance issue but as Dave above has suggested it could also be down to how much flex there is in the shaft. I'll try what you have suggested and see if I can find any decent condition used cues to try out, although I've looked and can't really find Nothing currently. Thanks for your help Trev1, I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Take a look at this package, good cue, great accessories and the right price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/57-Handma...item258a4fea5c

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
                        Take a look at this package, good cue, great accessories and the right price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/57-Handma...item258a4fea5c
                        each cue has its own price, blinky,,, There is No such thing as : The right price !! Btw, is not my intention to offend your cue here !!!!

Comment

i played for No.1 for Manly Leagues club for 8 years and won 95% of all my matches. Too many players think buying a cue for 60 or $100+ UK pound is going to improve their game, not so, either you can play or you can't, no cue whatever the price is going to help you.

Comment

Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
                            i played for No.1 for Manly Leagues club for 8 years and won 95% of all my matches. Too many players think buying a cue for 60 or $100+ UK pound is going to improve their game, not so, either you can play or you can't, no cue whatever the price is going to help you.
                            i agree, so what do you think is a good cue and what cue do you recommend bliky?

Comment

John Parris Ultimate no.974, all the rest are poop

Comment

Working...
                              X