No announcement yet.

Could i be a snooker coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my mind your best hope would be juniors, not much money at the start, but if you are lucky enough to get a couple with talent that rise through the ranks( even just locally) you might get others interested, but I agree with what's been said , it will be tough and I don't see where your pricing will sit.
    Having your table at home in private could be a plus, as some may want to be coached away from the hustle and bustle and prying eyes of others at a club.
    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 19 December 2014, 03:32 PM.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Here's the way I look at it. I am from Nuneaton. I play in the two local leagues (Nuneaton and Hinckley).

I have won every competition each league has to offer and am very well known. I am fairly articulate and witty. I'm reliable and get on with most people.

I have my own snooker table, run my own business so I can tailor my hours around my life.

If I were to become a snooker coach... I don't see how I would be able to make ends meet. There is simply not the demand for snooker coaching in the UK and without a marquee name from being a top professional before, or engrossed in a governing body coaching program how could you attract enough business?

That's me. 30 years old, internet savvy and for an amateur, I'd go as far as to say I'm a pretty heavy scorer in snooker terms. I like to think I know my stuff.

How would someone of a similar age, with no standing in the game at all, presumably without their own facility to entertain students, with an admitted remedial understanding in the game, even presume to be able to make a living as a snooker coach?

It's a near impossibility.

But... near impossible is not impossible.

This post started off like a dating website profile

Comment

... But I have a really really tiny penis x

Comment

looks like someone just posted on the wrong forum, too many windows open at once...

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            ... But I have a really really tiny penis x

But you have your own snooker table ................... I'm in ! haha

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              A football coach/manager doesn't teach the skills of the game, Mourinho couldn't take Ronnie to one side and teach him how to swerve a free kick around a defensive wall, he could teach him how to dive to gain that free kick though as all Chelsea's players seem very adapt at that part of the game

A football coach/manager takes players who already have the skills he needs and moulds them into a team utilising tactics if neccessary.

A snooker coach is supposed to be able to teach someone who has never picked up a cue before how to play the game, a snooker coach should be able to study a decent player and pick up any faults he believes he has.

A snooker coach cannot teach the mental aspects of concentration and bottle needed to play at the top level; he can tell a player to concentrate and keep cool under pressure and trust in ones ability but really that is down to the individual or that individual can go to a sports psychologist or psychiatrist like Steve Peters.

If you can knock in a 50 break then you should be able to knock in another 50 to make it a hundred and then you have the ability to be a snooker coach but only if you are able to break down the motor skills needed and get those skills across to another person.
              Fair point about football coaches, not the best comparison, however can you same the same with the likes of David Leadbetter or Sean Foley? They teach golfers (from beginner to world class players) how the hit the ball with the golf club. They teach swing fundamentals (similar to snooker in the fact its about stance, timing, aiming etc). They are both world class coaches who have never played the game to any decent standard. It doesn't stop them being world class coaches.

Comment

Both Sean Foley and David Leadbetter are Scratch golfers... Leadbetter was a professional. They both play to an exceptional standard.

this chap is the equivalent of an 18 handicapper...

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  If you want the knowledge don't go to the WPBSA short course, spend the money and get certified by Nic Barrow as a Master Coach. It will take you 5-6 days in Milton Keynes.

As has been mentioned, Del Hill is another good option and Terry Griffiths Matchroom if he's still doing it now that Wayne is in Hong Kong.

Terry
                  This does worry me a little..."go on a 5 day course and become a 'Master Coach' " As for the previous mentioned football "managers" they are not coaches so totally N/A. I have seen some good coaches who have worked with the best in the game and I have seen some bad ones who totally messed my game up!! The above statement is probably the root cause for the bad ones...By the way I think Nic barrow Is a good coach but then again he is a good player too...For me personally you need to have experienced playing the game under extreme pressure to understand everything can go wrong with a usually sound cue action. If you havent played at top amateur standard at the very leased you would not be getting my hard earned cash.

Comment

I think the best idea would be to put some ads up somewhere and do it in your spare time, just to see if you like it, you may well hate it. I wouldn't listen to the people saying you aren't a good enough player, because they are wrong, coaching isn't about you, it's about the student. "do as I say, not as I do" and "those that can do, those that can't teach" are two very important phrases here.

Comment

Could i be a snooker coach?

I built up some good experience just giving some tips and advice to beginners in my club who seemed to be struggling. starting up a junior club on a weekend would also help you i feel. This way you would be gaining coaching knowledge and also get known as a coach. As your highest break is not over 100 you will get kicked down and made fun of by better players but ignore them as enthusiasm for the game and your knowledge of the basics can really help youngsters and beginners. As your game and your coaching develops you can look at taking better students. If you do a course i would suggest the easb or isbf course.
                      coaching is not just for the pros
                      www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by crawfty1985 View Post
                        Fair point about football coaches, not the best comparison, however can you same the same with the likes of David Leadbetter or Sean Foley? They teach golfers (from beginner to world class players) how the hit the ball with the golf club. They teach swing fundamentals (similar to snooker in the fact its about stance, timing, aiming etc). They are both world class coaches who have never played the game to any decent standard. It doesn't stop them being world class coaches.
                        Pro golfers like pro snooker players are all about the same standard in practise. What lets some down is their concentration and confidence in their own ability and a real need and will to win when playing tournaments. That's probably the only difference between Leadbetter and Woods and the reason why Leadbetter took up coaching. Those who can, do, those who can't, coach.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                          This does worry me a little..."go on a 5 day course and become a 'Master Coach' " As for the previous mentioned football "managers" they are not coaches so totally N/A. I have seen some good coaches who have worked with the best in the game and I have seen some bad ones who totally messed my game up!! The above statement is probably the root cause for the bad ones...By the way I think Nic barrow Is a good coach but then again he is a good player too...For me personally you need to have experienced playing the game under extreme pressure to understand everything can go wrong with a usually sound cue action. If you havent played at top amateur standard at the very leased you would not be getting my hard earned cash.
                          A harsh comment. Nic always does a preliminary evaluation and test before he takes on a student and he has turned down candidates for Master Coach before and he also has teacher and Coach levels for those who are less knowledgeable. Originally the training was 9 days but then Nic cut out some of that NLP training and some of the how to run a coaching business training. It is an intensive 8 hours per day but a student has to have some basics and being a referee helps too.

By the way, the WPBSA coach training is less that 3 days and with no experience required, although it helps. Another comment, Frank Callan is regarded as one of the best snooker coaches who ever lived and yet in his book it says he only ever won his county championship and that was when he was quite young. I have no doubt he was a good player but wasn't international or top amateur standard but without a doubt he knew his stuff and from what I've read had a good ability to help both amateur and pro students (Mountjoy as an example).

Terry
                          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 20 December 2014, 01:41 PM.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

that about sums it up, I've been lucky to have seen some top golf coaches and one in particular is Pete Cowen who is regarded as one of the best coaches in the world even at 60+ I'm sure tiger would love to have his swing but has been said desire to win is a separate thing. people on this forum often refer to top snooker players when discussing technical matters and use them to prove or disprove a point but the simple matter is they might not be the pinnacle of the stroke nor the game but just have a strong desire to compete

Comment

I agree with the one comment by pottr though. There are very few who can make even a basic living at coaching snooker and even in the UK and China, never mind here in Canada. Even when snooker was popular in the 80's there were very few making any kind of a living. Even Frank Callan had his own outside business and he was regarded as the best by everyone.

Although I guess Frank did make a bit of money from his book. FCSnooker is still in business.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                I agree with the one comment by pottr though. There are very few who can make even a basic living at coaching snooker and even in the UK and China, never mind here in Canada. Even when snooker was popular in the 80's there were very few making any kind of a living. Even Frank Callan had his own outside business and he was regarded as the best by everyone.

Although I guess Frank did make a bit of money from his book. FCSnooker is still in business.

Terry
                                Was Frank any good? Did he play as a pro? Can't seem to find any info on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X