Elbow tucked in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Yeah I certainly won't disagree with your comments as I think you're spot on.

I sometimes get to the pause and then it's like cutting an elastic band. I struggle with the slow start and then accelerate finishing with the hand on the chest.

I'm back on Thursday for the afternoon so I'll try a little warm up and see how I get on in the practice session. I'm continually working on things, maybe you could lend me your arm.......
    which one?
    i think if you just do the slow back swing and stay with the shot 'from beginning to end' these pauses will come, as you find your own tempo to every ball you play
    Last edited by j6uk; 30 September 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      which one?
      i think if you just do the slow back swing and stay with the shot 'from beginning to end' these pauses will come, as you find your own tempo to every ball you play
      Sorry, the second pause, then struggle with acceleration.

Out of interest, what are your eyes looking at on your 1st pause in the video prior to pulling the cue back?
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Sorry, the second pause, then struggle with acceleration.

Out of interest, what are your eyes looking at on your 1st pause in the video prior to pulling the cue back?
        as im droping straight down i look at the ob, then flick the eyes to cb as i settle, ob an feather, front pause an watch the cue come back straight as i flick back to ob, let it go

Comment

im not playing much these days but i feel the work iv been doing with tuca while cooking a brew has really put me on another cueing level

Comment

as im droping straight down i look at the ob, then flick the eyes to cb as i settle, ob an feather, front pause an watch the cue come back straight as i flick back to ob, let it go
            Sighting sounds good to me and no shocks thank God..

Yeah, the Tuca looks good and I think would help me as don't live that close to the club.

I'll keep an eye for it's progress.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

i think i know where your at with your game, i can see the frustation you must feel at times from the difference in your cue action in those two lineup videos. in the one that you felt all over the place you were kinda pecking at the white an maybe not letting your cue go from the elbow as much as you were in the 111 line out break
              apart from you moving on to the lineup i recmended, a few things you might like to try.
              -slow the back swing down. then when your ready to go stay with the cue all the way though to the chest. close the back of the hand on shot completion. stay with the shot till the ob reaches its target hit or miss
              -try getting a bit lower to the table with your cue, jack down a little
              j6uk

Played my second league match last night and trounced the guy who was 2nd in the stats last year so thanks for all the advice.

Tried staying down on the shot (hopefully better but couldn't see, will check a video on Sunday). Final Pause seemed to come naturally prior to pushing through and stroked some nice balls in under pressure.

Whether I achieved the whole routine you discussed is questionable but the rhythm was certainly better so I'll keep working on this for a while.

Thanks again for the tips (never thought about the elbow and apparently it was still turned inwards!

Comment

j6uk

Played my second league match last night and trounced the guy who was 2nd in the stats last year so thanks for all the advice.

Tried staying down on the shot (hopefully better but couldn't see, will check a video on Sunday). Final Pause seemed to come naturally prior to pushing through and stroked some nice balls in under pressure.

Whether I achieved the whole routine you discussed is questionable but the rhythm was certainly better so I'll keep working on this for a while.

Thanks again for the tips (never thought about the elbow and apparently it was still turned inwards!
                thats good to hear, im sure if you stay with every single shot you play we'll see a growth spurt from you in the coming few months..
                look forwards to your next video

Comment

Did some line up this morning with working on staying down on the shot and trying to groove that rhythm in.

Played a mate for 2 frames at the end and knocked a nice little 61 in there where the balls were terrible so there's definitely something helping.

Lost rhythm toward the end but that's what the practice is for!

Potted a fair few long straight shots so clearly the elbow doesn't affect them, it must be the staying doen on the shot and getting the cue through the ball.

Comment

Something that helped me was to turn my head towards my elbow at various stages of cueing to see what was going on back there. Granted it could look a little odd so I tended to do it when the snooker room was quiet. I started doing it after seeing a pro do it and it was a big eye opener at seeing how far my elbow and wrist were sticking out when I had always thought they were straigt. Using mirrors and windows can help but turning your head 90 degrees when down on the shot gives the best view.

After a while I would realise my elbow was sticking out without looking and I played better with it slightly inwards on the follow through like the way John Higgins strikes. Slightly outwards was wrecking my consistency though so the function of the elbow cannot be underestimated.
                    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                      Something that helped me was to turn my head towards my elbow at various stages of cueing to see what was going on back there. Granted it could look a little odd so I tended to do it when the snooker room was quiet. I started doing it after seeing a pro do it and it was a big eye opener at seeing how far my elbow and wrist were sticking out when I had always thought they were straigt. Using mirrors and windows can help but turning your head 90 degrees when down on the shot gives the best view.

After a while I would realise my elbow was sticking out without looking and I played better with it slightly inwards on the follow through like the way John Higgins strikes. Slightly outwards was wrecking my consistency though so the function of the elbow cannot be underestimated.
                      It's funny you say that as I found myself doing this yesterday. Playing again tomorrow so we'll see how the progress goes.

Comment

Been missing long straight shots recently and got mate to take a look and noticed the following (I'm right handed):

Right elbow bent inwards toward body.

Stance
                        Left elbow bent and bridge length fine.
                        Right hand/left hand/ right foot/chest/dominant eye on line.
                        Loose grip.
                        Pause front and back.
                        Boxers stance.

When I bring left foot to square stance it helps as when I twist the right elbow slightly tucks in.

Looked on internet but can't find any real tips that help me to check my elbows in a good position. I'm of to practice today and will try a square stance but don't want to tinker too much without a check as I don't want to end up with another issue!

Does anyone have a drill or check for the elbow?
                        you can check your cueing if you like by running the cue ball up and down the spots, cue from brown through black, once you are doing this consistently try placing red balls on either side of the black spot allowing .5 inch or so on either side and repeat exercise, once again when you are consistently running up and down the spots without hitting the reds add red balls either side of pink spot and repeat after that add reds to either side of blue spot. when you are doing this consistently you will be cueing straight through the ball. I find that concentrating on my results helps more with my mechanics than thinking about my stance, elbow etc, not to say that isn't important but I know how I want my stance etc and this is what helped me see if I was putting it all together. worked for me hope it helps, cheers

Comment

yeah staying with it means your trusting the elbow to bring the cue back an deliver it in a straight line to complete the shot while down, hence staying with it. an treating every shot the same be it over the the hole or a mad long one.. this way youll feel the whole shot, be you off balance, miss alignment or cueing across the white. everything else is timing

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips, am still trying to get used to staying down and grind in a new rhythm with pauses.

Lost 6-2 today to a guy that has been in the last 16 of the English Amateurs at some point so no mug and still plays really well. Struggled in every frame with trusting everything but it'll take time so try and get more line up time in to find my pace etc.

Played well enough but certainly got punished in 4 black ball games and 2 pink balls.

It's strange, I can usually knock the cue ball up and down the spots all day long but long straight ones giving me some grief.

As I said, when I looked at the video lately I still moved up slightly so i'm sure this is still happening but I keep at it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah I certainly won't disagree with your comments as I think you're spot on.

I sometimes get to the pause and then it's like cutting an elastic band. I struggle with the slow start and then accelerate finishing with the hand on the chest.

I'm back on Thursday for the afternoon so I'll try a little warm up and see how I get on in the practice session. I'm continually working on things, maybe you could lend me your arm.......
                              That's exactly what I've been feeling. But last practice session I suddenly feel that acceleration, but just a few shorts...and gone...

Comment

Working...
                              X