No announcement yet.

Screwing Back : I'm ending up with no back spin when I hit the object ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same problem here mate. I find the further the distance the more power the longer the back swing I need. It gets to the point where I have to drop the elbow to keep the cue parallel and on delivery I forget to bring the elbow back up which in turn raises the tip. Hence the stun shot. Working on it. Watch Barry Hawkins. He always drops the elbow slightly but the brings it back up to see what I mean.

Comment

You don't need to keep the cue parallel to the table on the pull back, look at Mark Selby, Stuart Bingham and Ronnie O'Sullivan to name a few.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        You don't need to keep the cue parallel to the table on the pull back, look at Mark Selby, Stuart Bingham and Ronnie O'Sullivan to name a few.
        If the cue had to be parallel on screw back then you would never be able to achieve it when playing across the table on a pool table. Obviously whether parallel or inclined affects the shot to some degree.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          Maybe keeping the cue parallel was the wrong way to put it. Keeping it in one plane may be a more accurate description

Comment

Don't worry about parallel or any of that... The screw shot is simple, don't overthink it.

loose grip, hit the bottom, follow through as smooth and as far as you can... voila

Comment

There are tons of strings on here regarding how to screw back and we all keep answering it. Tomwalker has one of the correct items, concentrate on accelerating through the cueball and then holding the cue at the end of the delivery for 1-2 seconds. Also try to hit the object ball with the tip. In addition most players who can't screw back I find are not hitting the cueball low enough as I have them address the cueball for a screw shot and then show them by putting my cue underneath their ferrule. Players are afraid of mis-cueing so I advise getting a spare piece of cloth and put it behind the cueball when practicing this. Then try screw shots and keep chalking before every stroke and also keep lowering the tip after each stroke.

DON'T FORGET YOU MUST LOWER THE BRIDGE NOT RAISE THE BUTT TO GET CONSISTENT SCREW EFFECTS.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

level cue, follow through, acceleration is all bollocks and has nothing to do with increasing torque on the cue ball, you are not hitting the cue ball low enough, end of. People all talk a load of regurgitated pap on here they heard from some bloke in the club who heard it from some bloke in the club, all long standing myths perpetuated by self styled experts and "coaches" none of which have ever examined the actual physics.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                  level cue, follow through, acceleration is all bollocks and has nothing to do with increasing torque on the cue ball, you are not hitting the cue ball low enough, end of. People all talk a load of regurgitated pap on here they heard from some bloke in the club who heard it from some bloke in the club, all long standing myths perpetuated by self styled experts and "coaches" none of which have ever examined the actual physics.
                  Helpful post.

You're right about not hitting the ball low enough, but all the "regurgitated pap" is to help the guy actually hit the ball low enough.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                    acceleration is a part of physics . Not to mention timing as well ? ( More speed (better timing) creates more spin.
                    I honestly do'nt know why you think otherwise .
                    But , it's your opinion bud . It's oky with me anyway .

And your grip ? which is imo the key to your cue power .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                      acceleration is a part of physics . Not to mention timing as well ? ( More speed (better timing) creates more spin.
                      I honestly do'nt know why you think otherwise .
                      But , it's your opinion bud . It's oky with me anyway .

And your grip ? which is imo the key to your cue power .

Mate, it isn't opinion, it's fact. The cue ball doesn't give a toss what hits it, what the bridge hand does, what the grip is like, what the follow through does...All it cares about is the moment of impact - before and after makes no difference whatsoever.

As for acceleration, it is the lack of deceleration that is important.

Comment

Screwing Back : I'm ending up with no back spin when I hit the object ball

Agree... lack of deceleration is what matters

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                          Mate, it isn't opinion, it's fact. The cue ball doesn't give a toss what hits it, what the bridge hand does, what the grip is like, what the follow through does...All it cares about is the moment of impact - before and after makes no difference whatsoever.

As for acceleration, it is the lack of deceleration that is important.
                          Depends what you mean by follow through, though.
                          buy a 67" cue and Following the CB with the tip from one side of the table to the other side of it ? No. in this case , you're right .

The CB does give a toss which direction the tip moves at the time of contact . it's a matter of effect , it's a matter of physics ( your favorite part ).
                          Ever heard OF : you gonna have to Load the CB up ?? :snooker:

As for grip , No , i can'nt agree with that part . All decent players are able to close the grip in a consistent way and keep it firm .
                          It's the key to the Cue power . ( imo ).

And yes , deceleration is important.

Comment

why is deceleration important - If you decelerate through the cueball its a bad thing---I don't get the views of this forum sometimes.

Grip and timing are important - accelerating smoothly through the ball is important -
                            Last edited by Byrom; 12 August 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

It seems very funny to me that all the good coaches recommend accelerating through and beyond the cueball for some reason and in all 3 videos posted here that is exactly what's happening. Some of you feel it is not important to the cueball but did you ever think it may be important to the technique to finish the deep screw shot with a ton of follow-through and acceleration because otherwise the body would be jerking all over the place.

I want those on here who say accelerating through the cueball is not important to try a deep screw shot and then stopping the cue 1" after the initial contact with the cueball and see how much screw and accuracy they get. Have the balls at least 2ft apart. Stopping the cue that short would lead to a lot of problems but accelerating the cue (and please note every one of these players is using a very long backswing in order to accelerate the cue to the maximum possible speed).

longer backswing = higher acceleration (cue has more room to pick up speed) = more power and that works for all shots not just deep screw.
                              Last edited by Terry Davidson; 12 August 2017, 12:01 PM.
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                                why is deceleration important - If you decelerate through the cueball its a bad thing---I don't get the views of this forum sometimes.

Grip and timing are important - accelerating smoothly through the ball is important -
                                I think you (and Ramon) misread - HMBS and Pottr say that "the lack of deceleration" is important
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X