Sorry guys another dominate eye post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    The price when I looked it up was 394 + 45 shipping and I would pay another 20% duty and taxes so altogether around 520quid. For me that is over $1,000 and that's much too expensive for me to handle with the amount of coaching business I get.

Also, although starting out with a green to its own pocket is great as you always start with the easy shot to confirm everything. Once you have that (which should be pretty quick as its an open pocket and just over 2ft pot) move onto something that gives you a bit more of a challenge to confirm the CAT and your eyes are working correctly. Try a 1/2-ball black off the spot to a top pocket and a 3/4-pink to the middle.

That will be a better test to see if you are aligning the CAT correctly.
    Hi Terry

I think the price has been reduced a little - I paid 314 GBP sent as F&F

Your last comment is the trouble with the idea I had - It is not easy to align the device - it has cloth on the base to protect the table, so it grips, and you can't make very small changes - plus my cue was too butt heavy for it to stay in place with the strong magnets

BUT having said all this - I did have a very good practise session - One lineup I made a 90 !!!!

I'm going to persevere and maybe do a review at some time.

I do think we need some more technology to help struggling players like most of us - Nic has his heart (and wallet) in the RGHT place I'm sure - he seems pretty innovative which I admire

I always thought a telescopic, spring loaded cue with a release button would allow a player to exactly see where they were aiming

I've used those builder's laser beams, but again without much luck - setting everything up is just too much hass

Comment

Jesus boys! What are you all doing??? Paying god knows how much for a 'device' that will somehow transform your game is complete and utter foolishness. I bet Nic is rubbing his hands while smurking at the lot of you...
      Peoples approach can differ greatly in terms of how they approach the table...at what point they fix on the shot line...which part they focus on...what they switch to and where...none of this can be assisted by some gizmo some bloke knocks out in a workshop or factory! I sometimes wonder if this Forum is also a portal to an alternate universe (the come down version).
      So if you intend to get better, go out there and develop your game yourself. By all means seek coaches advice if you feel that this is necessary, but you need to be putting the work in yourself and not holding out for some killer gadget to give you some sort of edge over others games. the only device that works is a CUE!
      I'm seriously considering deleting my profile as i feel that i have outgrown this...
      The Forum could be sooo much better and structured well for people who seek good advice or are new to the game. Instead of having to sift through dribble about 'the best chalk?' or 'pocket sizes' etc etc...
      adios!!!!!!!!!!
      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

The easiest way to find out which eye to put the cue under is to draw a line on the ground to simulate the shot line*. Stand naturally with your back foot on the line. You want your head to be in a position that seems centered over the line. Now imagine a line coming up from the ground directly to your face.

Where does it end up? For me, it's slightly favoring the right side of my chin, but not directly under my right eye.

*You can use painter's tape, and the line on tiled flooring works well too. Pretty much any straight line on the ground on which you can step.

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
          Jesus boys! What are you all doing??? Paying god knows how much for a 'device' that will somehow transform your game is complete and utter foolishness. I bet Nic is rubbing his hands while smurking at the lot of you...
          Peoples approach can differ greatly in terms of how they approach the table...at what point they fix on the shot line...which part they focus on...what they switch to and where...none of this can be assisted by some gizmo some bloke knocks out in a workshop or factory! I sometimes wonder if this Forum is also a portal to an alternate universe (the come down version).
          So if you intend to get better, go out there and develop your game yourself. By all means seek coaches advice if you feel that this is necessary, but you need to be putting the work in yourself and not holding out for some killer gadget to give you some sort of edge over others games. the only device that works is a CUE!
          I'm seriously considering deleting my profile as i feel that i have outgrown this...
          The Forum could be sooo much better and structured well for people who seek good advice or are new to the game. Instead of having to sift through dribble about 'the best chalk?' or 'pocket sizes' etc etc...
          adios!!!!!!!!!!
          .... shame - no chance of a second date then

in jest

Comment

....could be sooo much better and structured well for people who seek good advice .... Instead of having to sift through dribble..
            I think you have just summed up the Internet.

Comment

I agree that the game is all about where your visual attention is directed to and at what time. This is the only way of getting your eyes in the right place (and I don't mean one on either side of your nose) when you are feathering and when you release the cue.

And if your eyes are not in the right place, then the wrong part of the brain takes over and tries to 'grab the steering wheel' as it were. This results in the physical cueing errors that everyone is familiar with (snatching, steering, quitting on the shot etc etc).

But while good eye placement is key, actually knowing where your vision centre is (ie which eye is dominant and by how much) is totally useless. Two reasons: first you should never be trying to consciously control where your eyes are in relation to the cue (or shot line?); this is quite the wrong control mechanism to employ. Secondly, within almost all the threads on eye dominance is a hidden assumption that a person's eye dominance is fixed. This is quite wrong - it can shift as objects move across the visual field.

Comment

Some folks pick things up more instinctively than others, while some require a bit of guidance along the way. Whatever works for you. The fact is, most high end performers at any sport aren't thinking at all when they execute. How we all get to that level, given the chance to practise the required hours of course, will naturally vary between individuals. I believe the key to that is mindful practise rather than gadgets. I suspect a lot of so-called 'practise' time is actually very unstructured and therefore relatively low value. And whatever gadget you buy, there are no short cuts.

Comment

Originally Posted by Siz View Post
                  I agree that the game is all about where your visual attention is directed to and at what time. This is the only way of getting your eyes in the right place (and I don't mean one on either side of your nose) when you are feathering and when you release the cue.

And if your eyes are not in the right place, then the wrong part of the brain takes over and tries to 'grab the steering wheel' as it were. This results in the physical cueing errors that everyone is familiar with (snatching, steering, quitting on the shot etc etc).

But while good eye placement is key, actually knowing where your vision centre is (ie which eye is dominant and by how much) is totally useless. Two reasons: first you should never be trying to consciously control where your eyes are in relation to the cue (or shot line?); this is quite the wrong control mechanism to employ. Secondly, within almost all the threads on eye dominance is a hidden assumption that a person's eye dominance is fixed. This is quite wrong - it can shift as objects move across the visual field.
                  Then why do all the top players always have the cue in the same spot on their chin?

Comment

Originally Posted by jdub View Post
                    Then why do all the top players always have the cue in the same spot on their chin?
                    Because they have grooved their set-up over the years and through tons of practice. I doubt very much their set-up has anything to do with their dominant eye but rather it's the set-up they've found which gives them more accuracy and feels comfortable.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Not sure I understand your point?

Comment

Look at Terry's avatar and draw a vertical line directly up from the cue to a point between his eyes. That's his vision centre, and it looks to me to disect just inside of his left eye, with his right eye outside the line.
                        His head is not absolutely square on, you can see his left ear but not his right, so it's this head position that gets the cue on the line of aim as seen by his vision centre.

Now do the same for all the top players and you'll see how they differ even though they too have the cue on their chin.

Comment

Hi all,

I'm new to the group so apologies if this has been discussed before.

Hello,

I've tried doing the eye dominance test by making a hole with my hands and trying to focus on a point on the wall, then closing each eye to see with which one I can still see the point on the wall. The problem is that I see two of everything transparently that I am not focusing on, eg. when I hold up my index fingers, one in front of the other, whichever I am not focusing on becomes double and transparent.

Does this make my vision ambiocular and is there anything I can do to correct it?

Many thanks for any info.

Comment

It's not important at all to your snooker... Just get the cue out, hit some balls around and let your brain sort it out for you.

There is no spoon

Comment

place a piece a chalk on the cushion, step back and point your finger at it with both eyes open. now close one eye at a time, the one where your finger is still pointing at the chalk is your dominant eye.

Comment

Thanks, but I think it's a wee bit more complicated than that. I just spoke to an online optometrist and she said I have physiological diplopia. It doesn't affect my daily life but it does affect my snooker.

Comment

Working...
                                X