Snooker Simulation game - VP4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Simulation game - VP4

Please excuse me if this is a bit off the topic here, not sure if anyone here plays the Virtual Pool series, but I think it's the best simulation game for pool/snooker out there. Have been playing Virtual Pool 3 for over ten years previously, and a few years ago Virtual Pool 4 was released and I bought it right away.

Recently, I've been playing the online version of Virtual Pool 4, there are some really good snooker player there, and I do see my real game improves after playing the simulation game extensively, only if I can cue as straight as I can in the game

The online game costs US$10 per year, and for me personally, it's a great way to kill some time when I can't go to the local pool hall, playing real people online is a great way to kill some time for snooker

Here is the URL if anyone is interested, you can play a 6-ball pool with the free version, for snooker, you have to buy the membership ($10):

http://vponline.celeris.com/vp4offprod/

If you do get up there, look for me, "Thunder66", let me know you are from this board here

Have fun!

- Thunder

Yep, VP4 is absolutely the best pool/snooker simulation out there! The default table for (online)snooker plays really slow, but they are tweaking table settings as we speak.
    And you can always make a custom table: table speed, rail speed, skid and rail grab.
    So far my best break is high 70's, but in real life I'm below 50's. Don't really know if it has helped my game RL, in VP4 you can keep breaks going with long pots not so in RL.
    Might have played you already, "rambler78" from Finland.

Anyway, highly recommended!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by sivulaj View Post
      Yep, VP4 is absolutely the best pool/snooker simulation out there! The default table for (online)snooker plays really slow, but they are tweaking table settings as we speak.
      And you can always make a custom table: table speed, rail speed, skid and rail grab.
      So far my best break is high 70's, but in real life I'm below 50's. Don't really know if it has helped my game RL, in VP4 you can keep breaks going with long pots not so in RL.
      Might have played you already, "rambler78" from Finland.

Anyway, highly recommended!!!!
      We might have played, but if you can do high 70 break, you are probably around 2000+ rating? I'm only 1700 now, don't stand much a chance against you

- Thunder

Comment

Here's a video of VP4 snooker in action:

Comment

Played mostly offline, so I'm still 1800+ ranking. Really struggling to make those 50+ breaks, so I'm decent but not one of the big boys.
          In that video Mal first played with tournament pockets, witch are too difficult IMO. Has anyone made a century using tournament pockets EVER, that's in hundreds of frames played?
          Tourney pockets look good to the eye but play far too unforgivingly.

Using the normal "buckets" it's hard enough, but long potting is a little too easy taking the edge of safety play.
          Celeris should make long potting harder but the answer isn't decreasing the size of the pockets. Don't really have a clue how to "fix" long potting.

Comment

Originally Posted by sivulaj View Post
            Played mostly offline, so I'm still 1800+ ranking. Really struggling to make those 50+ breaks, so I'm decent but not one of the big boys.
            In that video Mal first played with tournament pockets, witch are too difficult IMO. Has anyone made a century using tournament pockets EVER, that's in hundreds of frames played?
            Tourney pockets look good to the eye but play far too unforgivingly.

Using the normal "buckets" it's hard enough, but long potting is a little too easy taking the edge of safety play.
            Celeris should make long potting harder but the answer isn't decreasing the size of the pockets. Don't really have a clue how to "fix" long potting.
            The problem is everyone can cue dead straight

I think one possible "fix" is to change the current cueing action of the mouse, like some golfing game, in order to cue straight, you have to move the mouse vertically straight up in one line, and deviation to left or right will cause "cueing to left or right".

But that's going to make the game too hard, haha. Plus people have been used to this cueing action of VP series for over 20 yrs already, I'm sure lots people will not like it if changed.

Comment

Celeris could just make it optional to use the cue deviation, and make it so that it affects long potting more than your basic blacks of it's spot etc.
              Just like they should make room lighting a user based setting, just hate when perfectly good opponents are playing in a ****ty light room like Monte Carlo.
              Prefer Hard Times, most realistic lighting IMO. Well nice that snooker side of the game is getting an update, hopefully a good one.

Comment

Tried the snooker game and didn't like it so i just play 8 ball pool instead
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                  Tried the snooker game and didn't like it so i just play 8 ball pool instead
                  What didn't you like about it? Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X