New cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue

Good afternoon peeps,just a quick question,does a new cue help with confidence?As I seem to struggle getting past a 20 break,I really don't know why.but I'm curios if I purchased a better cue if it would help.any comments would be grateful

No, a new cue won't help at all as you are not at the stage where you will really know what you want in a cue and you will likely be wasting your money.

You haven't said where you are but if in the UK there should be a decent coach within driving distance and I suggest you go to him for maybe 3-5 lessons of 2hrs apiece. It should cost somewhere between 50-100GBP per 2 hours, more likely around 60GBP though. If you can't get to a coach then try researching coaching on youtube.com as there's lots on there. You can start by using 'Nic Barrow, snooker' and that will get you a ton of coaching videos and there are a lot more coaches with video on youtube.

Then you need to practice and then practice some more and if you have any motivation at all you should be able to get to the 50-break stage within a year or so but it takes dedication. Once you get to the 50-break stage then I would recommend you get a custom cue or at least a new and better cue as then you will know what you like (it might turn out to be the cue you presently have and all it needed was a little work and a new tip and/or ferrule).
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I disagree here - shocker -

I think buying a new cue does inspire you to practice and that drives improvement also it does help you with certain shots if you have a good solid cue if the one you are using is a duffer so yes I think it will improve you and maybe encourage you to seek out a coach and do all that stuff later.

Buying a really expensive cue and a good name is not like spending money anyway as if you don't like it and you buy the right cue you often get your money back - so its like saving up - therefore I think there is nothing to loose really and everything to gain

Comment

Agree with above but it all depends which cue and what stage your game is it, if you're a club payer with an average 30-40 break then a new cue will give you improved confidence but you still need to get back to the drawing board to find out why you're only hitting these breaks, same with a decent player except the drawing board.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jacksdad View Post
          Good afternoon peeps,just a quick question,does a new cue help with confidence?As I seem to struggle getting past a 20 break,I really don't know why.but I'm curios if I purchased a better cue if it would help.any comments would be grateful
          If you're using a ÂŁ10 Riley cue with a centre joint that clunks every shot, then yeah, a decent cue will help you impart more spin and stun on the ball to get it to the right place and position. If you've already got a decent cue, then buying something for ÂŁ200+ won't help a lot. And a top range cue (ÂŁ500) will make no diff at all. To get the most out of a top cue, you have to be a top player IMO. In fact an expensive cue like a Parris could actually make you worse. You'd be better off spending money on some coaching lessons to iron out basic faults. Where are you, I'm sure folk here can recommend a local coach.

Comment

I don't think a cue makes you better or worse....you might feel better for a bit, it might take you a while to get used to it, but ultimately it's all about the cue action and practice. I say this as someone with a new cue, who is having trouble getting the backspin I want (okay with top, side, and soft stun and screw...but deep screw is problematic and out of control).

I've been through four or five cues in forty years. Ultimately the standard always settles around where my general standard is. It's you. It's not the cue. Having said that, some cues just feel better, and suit you a bit more, and it takes away a possible layer of mental distraction.

Comment

A new cue, especially if it's quite different from you old cue also takes time to get used to and knowing how to play it. So it can add additional stress to your game and make your confidence worse. But then if it's a sweet cue, it can give you more enjoyment which can only be a good thing.

Comment

Thank you all for the tips,most appreciated.i have a cheap cue at the moment,it was around 25 quid at the time.i was going to spend around 50 quid,purely because it's the only pleasure I have,once a week for 4 hours I'm not the husband or daddy,I'm just playing snooker with my brother in law,who says the same as me.its a release and I personally believe it helps to beat stress.but I will keep you posted when I do purchase a better cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jacksdad View Post
                  Thank you all for the tips,most appreciated.i have a cheap cue at the moment,it was around 25 quid at the time.i was going to spend around 50 quid,purely because it's the only pleasure I have,once a week for 4 hours I'm not the husband or daddy,I'm just playing snooker with my brother in law,who says the same as me.its a release and I personally believe it helps to beat stress.but I will keep you posted when I do purchase a better cue.
                  Spend a hundred quid and get something special mate; 4hrs each week deserves that amount minimum. You're gonna struggle to get anything much better than what you have for 50 quid. Look out for O'min cues on ebay sold by Welsh Pool, check out Cue Crafts website (and see if there is a stockist near you to try one), both great cues and great value.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    I disagree here - shocker -

I think buying a new cue does inspire you to practice and that drives improvement also it does help you with certain shots if you have a good solid cue if the one you are using is a duffer so yes I think it will improve you and maybe encourage you to seek out a coach and do all that stuff later.

Buying a really expensive cue and a good name is not like spending money anyway as if you don't like it and you buy the right cue you often get your money back - so its like saving up - therefore I think there is nothing to loose really and everything to gain
                    yep... in total agreement here.

a new cue can motivate a player.
                    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Working...
                    X