No announcement yet.

The befits of cue weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the advantages of having a lighter cue??

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      I can get just as much power on a 19oz as I can a 16oz or whatever the weight. Weight doesn't come into it it's all about your cue action.
      Agree with this ,, good post !!
      A player does'nt need a hvy cue to get more CB respons !!
      J6 plays with a 17 OZ cue in that vid !! Imo , he gets more than enough CB respons !!

Comment

Of crs , what I said above , was already mantioned by others !! So my post was unnecessary !
        Sorry guys !! I just talk too much !!

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
          What are the advantages of having a lighter cue??
          apart from the touch an feel of the cue itself the single thing that sticks out for me is cue action. if you know what it takes to push a 15oz cue through straight on most shots then youve layed the foundations of a solid technique
          saying that i know good players who wouldnt touch a light cue if you payed them
          Last edited by j6uk; 30 July 2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Lot to be said about starting out with a lighter cue - I did 17.5 0z but progressed upwards to a slightly heavier one just cos they came that way and felt it improved my long game and improved accuracy but I felt I had better timing with a lighter cue and it felt better in the balls so a bit of a trade off.

If you start out with a lighter cue I think you learn to feel and time the shot better probably than if you where to start out with a 19 - 20 oz monster.

I tend to over hit certain shots on a slower table especially with a really light cue - as it frees up my arm to feather and time it - for me a nice weight now is around 18 oz - Though I can go 5 oz up or 5 down depending on a few things - lot of variables involved like the balance point and the length of cue - tip size - tip choice - taper of cue - wood used in making cue - throw of said cue and of course your pref of 1 pc or 2 pc.

In conclusion - good point made by J6 I never really thought about but probably is a good idea therefore to start out with a lighter cue when learning the game and developing your cue action maybe - before moving up in weight to find the ideal or staying where you are - what do you think guys?
            Last edited by Byrom; 30 July 2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

By that logic a beginner should use a light cue and practice cueing, then once mastered can move onto a heavier cue with fewer problems

Comment

I've found out recently I seem to prefer a lighter cue (around 17.5oz) when I had been using cues at 18.3oz for quite awhile now. It might be because this lighter cue has a laminated shaft/titanium ferrule.

I believe Jimmy White used quite a heavy cue (20oz?) when in his prime and didn't Steve Davis experiment with a cue he called 'the beast' at 23oz or something but I believe he's gone back to his original (modified) cue these days. Perhaps just an experiment for Steve after all which he ended up rejecting.

I agree with most of the comments on here. Cue action and shaft flex are more important that weight. The trick is to pick a shaft flex which goes well with your cue action which I think for most players with a good action would be a medium-stiff shaft flex with weight a secondary factor. Too whippy will cost you long pots that are hit hard and too stiff will mean the player will have to adjust his compensation for throw when in the balls and using side.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

What is the B point Terry ? Cus a cue of 17.5 OZ with 17 inches BP . Feels about the same as a 18.3 OZ cue with 18.5 inches BP . Imo !!!
                  Anyway , for me , 18.2 OZ with 17.75 / 18 inches BP is just about the right !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                    What is the B point Terry ? Cus a cue of 17.5 OZ with 17 inches BP . Feels about the same as a 18.3 OZ cue with 18.5 inches BP . Imo !!!
                    Anyway , for me , 18.2 OZ with 17.75 / 18 inches BP is just about the right !!
                    Actually the BP is at 18.25" and that's why I seem to like this cue I guess. My former MW playing cue is 18.3oz with a balance of around 17" I believe
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Actually the BP is at 18.25" and that's why I seem to like this cue I guess. My former MW playing cue is 18.3oz with a balance of around 17" I believe
                      Oh, okey !!
                      Well , in that case Your cue is a bit lighter in weight compared to mine !! we have the same taste because I also love to play with forward balanc !!
                      Thanks for the replay !!

Comment

hmmmm.jpg

I thought the John Parris video was great but thought I would attach this bit as I wondered what the black line was. It wasn't thick enough to be any wood; lead tape?

There also looked to be some lead around the dowel plug?
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by marc.lockley@ntlworld.com View Post
                          [ATTACH]18027[/ATTACH]

I thought the John Parris video was great but thought I would attach this bit as I wondered what the black line was. It wasn't thick enough to be any wood; lead tape?

There also looked to be some lead around the dowel plug?
                          Good question !! I also wonder what that is ??
                          I Hope J6 Or one of the other cue makers'll shows up here and give us sum answers !!!

Comment

I saw the dowel and automatically assumed he had a weight in there but either side of the dowel looked like lead strips wedged in as I couldn't see any other splicing that colour.

I wondered if he'd put some tape to weight it and then spliced over but wouldn't have thought that to be the case?
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Yeah , good point !! That could be !!
                              To be honest ,, is the first time I see Sumthing like this !!

Comment

Maybe it covers up the made in ------? bit

Comment

Working...
                                X