It is in the Grip after all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    we both know its not really the solution, but if you want the buzz of getting a new toy by all means get a longer cue.
    whats the length of your cue now and how long will be the new one?
    I so wanted to get the new toy but nothing good was available up to my specifications within my budget. So I have given my own cue for alteration and now when it comes back it will be 60 inches long rather than 58 inches which it was before.

Yes I know that however the longer cue would actually enable me in placing it closer to the CB as well as keeping my grip arm vertical on the butt in a relaxed manner, previously when I wanted to keep my cueing arm vertical at address I did not have enough cue and my little finger or last two fingers tended to get off the butt... So this will give me some comfort in keeping the tip closer to the CB as well as having my cueing arm at vertical at address and still have an inch or less behind it.
    "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Sidd:

When we chatted last I thought you had agreed not to lengthen your cue. Remember adding 2 inches to your cue will change the shaft flex and make it a little more whippier and it might even feel like a totally new cue and you may not be able to get on with it. I still think 58" is plenty of length for your height.

One other thing on the grip. When you posted your videos I said at the time your biggest problem was you changed the bend in the wrist as you delivered the cue. Try keeping the back of your palm on the butt of the cue at address and keeping it there during the entire delivery (of course it must come off the cue near the end of a longer backswing).

The golden rule is 'DO NOT CHANGE THE CONFIGURATION OF THE GRIP HAND DURING THE DELIVERY' and this statement is directed primarily at the wrist joint which should not alter at all during the delivery and indeed during the backswing too.

If you cannot easily set up the video again then get one of your mates to look at the bend in your wrist joint from behind at the address position and then deliver a power shot and leave the cue extended and have you mate see if the wrist joint angle is the same. If it is not then you still have that problem and you cannot bend the wrist joint without taking the butt of the cue off-line. Try it and see if you do not believe that

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Sidd:

When we chatted last I thought you had agreed not to lengthen your cue. Remember adding 2 inches to your cue will change the shaft flex and make it a little more whippier and it might even feel like a totally new cue and you may not be able to get on with it. I still think 58" is plenty of length for your height.

One other thing on the grip. When you posted your videos I said at the time your biggest problem was you changed the bend in the wrist as you delivered the cue. Try keeping the back of your palm on the butt of the cue at address and keeping it there during the entire delivery (of course it must come off the cue near the end of a longer backswing).

The golden rule is 'DO NOT CHANGE THE CONFIGURATION OF THE GRIP HAND DURING THE DELIVERY' and this statement is directed primarily at the wrist joint which should not alter at all during the delivery and indeed during the backswing too.

If you cannot easily set up the video again then get one of your mates to look at the bend in your wrist joint from behind at the address position and then deliver a power shot and leave the cue extended and have you mate see if the wrist joint angle is the same. If it is not then you still have that problem and you cannot bend the wrist joint without taking the butt of the cue off-line. Try it and see if you do not believe that

Terry
        Dear Terry, I had to go for it eventually. I could not rest my mind thinking that these two inches might be of good benefit and then unless I had done that I might not have been at ease... Now at least I wont ever be able to blame the length of my cue anymore

Your concern is genuine. My cuemaker had the same opinion and that is why he did not touch the shaft, he added extra wood to the top of the butt from the brass joint. Cut it out a few inches from top and made another new piece with two inches more and then fitted it on top of the butt and drilled my original brass joint there. He made sure that the weight wont change much and also that the feel of the cue and its balance point is not disturbed... I hope I dont really feel like holding a new cue all together.

58" is not bad but Terry whenever i went to address position and tried to keep my grip arm vertical I had to hold the cue from the very end and if I wanted a full vertical position then that meant having to hold where my last two fingers went off the cutt completely at address and that was not my natural style and hence felt uncomfy. Let us see now how these two inches can prove of benefit which is what I am expecting of em.

Yes I am determined on the following coach, inasmuch as the grip is concerned, and that would be final:

1. I will use the second finger grip as final thing.
        2. I will try to keep the palm touching the butt at address.

And yes I will now also try not to change this throughout the stroke- setting the backswing change aside.

Here is the deal terry. I will hopefully get my cue tomorrow. I will start practicing with it at the club for a few days and then I will capture and post my video next week. I think i will be able ot do that without a problem hopefully. That way my new setup and technique can be seen and analysed.... Will surely do that next weekend and not this one.

Comment

i see the sid and terry show is back on air

Comment

i see the sid and terry show is back on air
            Why dont you sit back, relax and enjoy

Is it a mere coincidence that it rhymes with the tom and jerry show which is what my little kid still makes me watch with him almost on a daily basis... And then he tries to be tom the next day and breaks all the cups and plates and when I ask him what are you doing ... he says... Baba, I am being tom right now

Did you ask for this? please check with your local cable operator LOL

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
              Did you ask for this? please check with your local cable operator LOL
              no!
              i know its gonna be a repeat, but i don't mind. hope i wont need subtitles this time
              Last edited by j6uk; 20 February 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

no!
                i know its gonna be a repeat, but i don't mind. hope i wont need subtitles this time
                Hahahahhahaaaaa.... you DEVIL
                Good one this...

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                  I have been tinkering and making adjustments to my grip on and off for quite some time to an extent that I had started to think I was way beyond target and was wasting time and energy. But something happened. Grip related or maybe something else, but well, something did happen.

I read Steve Davis's article on the grip where he stated that if you are struggling with putting unwanted side on the white and missing easy pots, maybe the back fingers are the problem makers and as they come back on the cue during delivery they mess up with the path of the cue, so you might want to experiment and try the Alex higgins grip. I had that in mind and thought of giving it a try. Secondly, he advocated that since the actual muscle used to drive the cue is the forearm rather than the grip hand, why to use the grip hand? Use the forearm to drive the cue with little or no pressure from the grip hand in a way that the grip only is used to have the cue rest in it while the arm does the action.

And then I watched Dell hill's coaching clips on youtube before going to the club in which he explained the drive and also two interesting things:

1. The back of the palm should be touching the cue at address.

I went straight to the club and held the cue in the second finger however what I added with it was to have my palm touching the cue at address which when I did my cue went to the last finger pads of the back fingers and my grip sort of cocked out from the back a bit- do not know this for sure but it sure felt like that... and something miraculous happened. Something that I had not experienced before. I started driving the cue effortlessly and my potting accuracy went to a record high for me in years. I was playing and I did not feel as if I was hitting the CB at all and it just felt like hitting thin air or something made of light plastic and also then my cue (19 oz) felt in my hands as if it has lost weight like it felt really light... My control, potting, positioning everything went up high like never ever before. I cant forget that feeling.

The next day I went in determined to keep that on and play just like that no matter what and... I played miserably.. missing everything on the table easy pots long pots everything... I kept playing like that and kept thinking where I was wrong... Yes one thing was for sure ... that feel... that feel was not there anymore... the feel that made me think I was hitting a light object and not the CB...

that was really a big turn down and my mates who had sen me yesterday could not believe it at all... I still have to have a grip that I can learn to keep constantly on every day that I play. I still do not know what is it that plays with me n me mind. But there is something... my guess... 85% its the grip.
                  wow i hope you have fixed ur game by now
                  this is exactly what i experienced recently
                  i watched my address position and i saw the palm isnt touching the cue at all
                  i watched few pros videos and i can see them touching the palm of thier hand on cueball

Comment

Tried a new grip today , at least for me . Held the cue with middle two fingers 3rd & 4th in the address position and initiated delivery with the third finger and on follow thru , brought the last finger in a wrap around finish . Seems to work well for me at this early stage and will play a little longer to understand the nuances . Reading thru the forum , I see that the initial grip is similar to what O'Sullivan employs , but he transfers the cue to the upper part of the thumb/ forefinger at end of his delivery pause and back to the last three did its at end of stroke , keeping his forefinger off .

I remember an article in which Steve Davis tried the Highins grip , to good effect . Could somebody please expand on the same , I cannot find the mentioned article .

In the opening post mentions : 1. The back of the palm should be touching the cue at address. .... Is this to cock the wrist in an attempt to lock It ?

Still trying to find my way , this here forum is a great source of learning .

More cue power to you all .

Comment

Sorry for the typos , can't seem to find the edit button .

Comment

Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
                        Sorry for the typos , can't seem to find the edit button .
                        you may need over 10 posts to get the edit function
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                          This should tell you immediately that the improvement was nothing to do with your new grip, that what was happening was having only one thought in your mind, your new grip, was making you stop thinking about everything like you usually do, and doing the basics consistantly and therefore potting well.
                          You went in the next day with a little anxiety in your mind as to whether the new grip would work again, putting pressure on yourself and when you missed that first easy pot then all the old thoughts returned.

I stated this a couple of years ago that constant tinkering will produce this effect now and again, playing just as well or badly with different techniques will introduce anxiety and therefore negativity into your thought process.
                          When a new technique works for just a short time all that's happening is what Terry states as having one swing thought in your mind to fix on that negates all the other thoughts that can invade your mind and gives you a better chance of simply playing on a subconscious level.

100% is the mind Sidd, you can do it as you have proved many times with many differing techniques. Your new cue should be the catalyst for relaxing and simply playing with no reason at all to tinker any longer.
                          Find the line of aim, put the cue on it, look at the object ball at the moment of the strike to keep the cue on line, those are the basics and must be adhered to.
                          Rehashing an old thread but bang on comments really agree and can relate to my own play.

Comment

Day two and the new grip still works , so may be suiting me . Watched ROS again and the transfer from the two finger grip to the thumb and forefinger at the end of the swing m is only for power shots and when on a longer back stoke , possibly to keep the cue parallel , transitioning back to the two finger grip on delivery not so easy .

Comment

Hi All,

I was going to post a thread on this but have found some of the answers that I was after in your responses. Thanks!

Recently I have been recording some of my practice sessions to see where my faults may be. I have noticed that on some shots (not all), I too twist my wrist on delivery which is something I never noticed myself doing.

I tried to upload a video for opinions / critique but it wouldn't load via my mobile - Maybe because it exceeded the allowance as it is 7 minutes (line-up)? I then tried to do it via my PC, but Apple videos uploaded to Microsoft computers seem to port across upside down!... Not very helpful.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the data / time limit would be on a video made from an iphone 7?

Comment

It might be easier to upload to youtube and share the link

Comment

Working...
                                X