2018 Northern Ireland Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was another very enjoyable evening of snooker for me. :smile:

Well played to Judd Trump, he played strongly all week and stood up to the pressure very well tonight. The match kind of followed a similar pattern to some of the previous finals between these two, with Trump getting in first a lot of the time and just failing to get over the line in frames, but he got stronger in the latter part of the match and never really missed anything easy. I think O'Sullivan only scored 5 points in the last three frames, which shows how well Trump did to keep him away from the table. That said, O'Sullivan did have a couple of chances from distance, but they just weren't going in tonight. I think the commentators were hugely overstating how high the standard was, unlike the players themselves who I thought both gave a very fair and honest assessment of the match. but it was still a very interesting match to watch. :smile:

This may not be one of the bigger tournaments on the calendar, but it's still nice to see Trump winning a trophy again, he is too good to be producing those mediocre results. Hopefully this will inspire him to play a big part in some of the major events that are coming up. I'm sure O'Sullivan will be up for them as well. :smile:

And finally, I have to give huge credit to Eurosport for their coverage this week. I know I've criticised them a lot in the past for how they treat viewers on the continent, but this week we too got to enjoy the studio analysis which was nice. Hopefully it won't be the last time. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      And finally, I have to give huge credit to Eurosport for their coverage this week. I know I've criticised them a lot in the past for how they treat viewers on the continent, but this week we too got to enjoy the studio analysis which was nice. Hopefully it won't be the last time. :smile:
      The main problem I have with Eurosport is the non HD channel has really poor picture quality, even compared to other non HD channels.
      It was only today between the day and evening sessions that I realized I have QuestHD. It made it so much more enjoyable to watch.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
        It was only today between the day and evening sessions that I realized I have QuestHD. It made it so much more enjoyable to watch.
        That's where I watch it cos my Sky pack doesn't include Eurosport. Main problem with Quest is no evening coverage until the semis.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
          I tend to look at the lights reflection on the ball as it shows slight movement more clearly and their reflection wobbled.
          Yeah that was a real tough one to see. It looked like it just shaved it but certainly a problem for a referee and could make a break a match when it's not called right; not easy though.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• That's a shame, I thought that Quest doesn't show all of the competitions that Eurosport does, or is it just that they don't show evening coverage until semis?

Comment

• Congrats to Judd, played well and deserved the win. Still, if I was Judd, I would get rid of that movement on every shot. But it seems to be getting even worse as time goes on.

And well, Ronnie never really got his game going today. Some sparkles here and there but also some poor shots that cost him literally frames. Could've won like 9-5 if it wasnt for them. I also feel like he has found some new battling qualities during these last two tournaments. Especially today when he wasnt playing that good but still came close to winning.

So to sum up, at least someone is able to beat Ronnies B game

Can't wait for the UK now!

Comment

• Well seeing as it was the Alex Higgins Trophy couldn't have had a better final between two entertaining players in the same vein as the great man himself. I was starting to worry a bit about Judd after seeing him in the Champion Of Champions so pleased to see him step up here, and hope to see him do well in the UK, Masters & Worlds now.
                Enjoyed the coverage as well and banter with Jimmy in the studio etc , great stuff.

Comment

• It's good to see Fouldsy and Jimmy appearing to be more friendly these days, Neil is a good serious pundit and it used to seem that naughty boys Jimmy And Ronnie used to rib him a bit and it could feel a bit "awkward" sometimes, but more recently the team with Andy Goldstien seem to have gelled well now and work better together making the most of their differing personalities.

It was great to hear Jimmy and Neal talking about the old days,when they were kids playing at the Neasdon club, great memories and stories about starting out.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                    It's good to see Fouldsy and Jimmy appearing to be more friendly these days, Neil is a good serious pundit and it used to seem that naughty boys Jimmy And Ronnie used to rib him a bit and it could feel a bit "awkward" sometimes, but more recently the team with Andy Goldstien seem to have gelled well now and work better together making the most of their differing personalities.

It was great to hear Jimmy and Neal talking about the old days,when they were kids playing at the Neasdon club, great memories and stories about starting out.
                    Agreed. I've said before I look forward to their tomfoolery on the practice table more than the matches sometimes. I just wish Neal would play a few shots but he's adamant he won't
                    Last edited by Billy; 19 November 2018, 02:05 AM.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                      That's a shame, I thought that Quest doesn't show all of the competitions that Eurosport does, or is it just that they don't show evening coverage until semis?
                      Both are true. Some of the tournaments are shown on Eurosport, but not Quest. But when Quest show coverage too, there's never any evening coverage until the semis.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                        That's where I watch it cos my Sky pack doesn't include Eurosport. Main problem with Quest is no evening coverage until the semis.
                        Ring Sky and ask to review - get the price down for one, because you're on an old package - they've rearranged them all so eurosport is now part of the basic entertainment bundle.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Guitarnolife View Post
                          Congrats to Judd, played well and deserved the win. Still, if I was Judd, I would get rid of that movement on every shot. But it seems to be getting even worse as time goes on.

And well, Ronnie never really got his game going today. Some sparkles here and there but also some poor shots that cost him literally frames. Could've won like 9-5 if it wasnt for them. I also feel like he has found some new battling qualities during these last two tournaments. Especially today when he wasnt playing that good but still came close to winning.

So to sum up, at least someone is able to beat Ronnies B game

Can't wait for the UK now!
                          agree, Selby, Ronnie, Judd to watch out for in the UK ! Ronnie was just playing his B game for a few matches, he needs to step up to win a few more trophies, else he can enjoy the game and the spectators and fans like he keeps mentioning in his interviews. His B game is still impressive though!

Comment

• I think this was for once a very nice tournament of the Home Nations Series, especially after so many of the favorites went out early. Well deserved title for Trump, who was playing well all week.

Comment

• Great tournament and final. I usually don't get too involved in the home nation series, but this one had some real quality. The best 2 from the week were in the final, and both played some great attacking snooker. Overall, Judd probably deserved it for his high quality and consistency through the rounds, as well as his top notch safety, particularly in the second session when the long pots weren't going in for either player. Looking forward to the UK, especially with players like Trump, Selby, O'Sullivan, Robertson and Allen all finding some good form.

Comment

• That wild bash i think at 7 each was the turning point, think it was the thin clip that trump went for and ended up leaving the white safe or snookered

Comment

Working...
                                X