Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pocket is always bigger than the ball...

The only thing that should dictate pace is position.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
      I'm always on to my mate about pocket weight as he is always over hitting his shots and either misses or loses position. Think pocket weight for a beginner means just drop it in with no thought of position, the way I think of it now is playing the pot to get position at the pace that keeps accuracy higher and getting position as well.
      I think "I want the cue ball to go there" then play the pot hard enough for the cue ball to be where I want it to be, simples.
      Don't see anything wrong with less able players rolling them in though to give themselves the best chance of a pot.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        The pocket is always bigger than the ball...

The only thing that should dictate pace is position.
        So much easier on a well maintained quick table. Can just stroke the ball around.

Comment

• I've got a couple of bogey shots:

1. Potting the black to get onto the yellow when you're high on the black (cue ball same side as the green). Got no problem potting the black but I can never get onto the yellow perfectly using the side cushion, I can't seem to visualise what line the cue ball needs to take.

2. Potting a red and using the cushion to send the white across the table to get high on the blue. The pro's seem to play it as a bread and butter shot, but to me there's a small margin for error, I either cannon the blue or go in-off!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Looter View Post
            I've got a couple of bogey shots:

1. Potting the black to get onto the yellow when you're high on the black (cue ball same side as the green). Got no problem potting the black but I can never get onto the yellow perfectly using the side cushion, I can't seem to visualise what line the cue ball needs to take.

2. Potting a red and using the cushion to send the white across the table to get high on the blue. The pro's seem to play it as a bread and butter shot, but to me there's a small margin for error, I either cannon the blue or go in-off!
            Here you go looter, take a look at this video. High on black to yellow.

https://youtu.be/Z7qO6ecMTPQ
            Last edited by markz; 11 December 2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
              Here you go looter, take a look at this video. High on black to yellow.

https://youtu.be/Z7qO6ecMTPQ
              Thanks going to be a massive help, thanks for that!

Comment

• Particular type of shot

Every now again I struggle with simple pinks into the corners... Usually when I'm lazy with my stance

I know it happens... I know how to stop it and alas it occasionally creeps in

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  Every now again I struggle with simple pinks into the corners... Usually when I'm lazy with my stance

I know it happens... I know how to stop it and alas it occasionally creeps in
                  That's what concentration is all about, sadly my concentration is about zero most of the time and only kicks in for about five minutes when it does.

Comment

• Going to post a video later today, that I made following the 'judd trump pink with pace escapade'. Only this one uses three cushions and still gets on the black. Cueball iis in between pink and black.
                    Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                    https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

• I have no idea what shot you mean? link?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        jmo:

As you can see from the long and detailed response from nrage is the reason most coaches would recommend a beginning player just learning how to play should not use any side at all and also remember side spin is a consideration on any shot ONLY when the cueball will hit a cushion. It has virtually no effect (outside of aiming differently) on a straight pot where no cushion is involved.

Terry
                        Again, for beginners, if I may. When needed, the extra movement off center you can get when striking the ball with tons of side can be helpful on occasion.

Comment

• delete duplicate post
                          Last edited by Rebound59; 22 December 2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            jmo:

As you can see from the long and detailed response from nrage is the reason most coaches would recommend a beginning player just learning how to play should not use any side at all and also remember side spin is a consideration on any shot ONLY when the cueball will hit a cushion. It has virtually no effect (outside of aiming differently) on a straight pot where no cushion is involved.

Terry
                            Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                            Wow can't believe my thread is still going strong 3 and a half years later!! Thanks to Terry for continuing the good work. How's everyone doing?
                            Thanks for the great thread. I'm new here and still need to do an introduction post, but I joined for this thread.

My issue is when playing the black from the high side, pick the distance, on the yellow side of the table, I hit the far jaw of the corner pocket almost all the time. I know that when I play with bottom and running side, I have an easier time making it, but when just trying to stun off the cushion, even though I am aware I need to compensate, I still hit the jaw. Any advice other than "practice practice practice"?
                            Last edited by Rebound59; 22 December 2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• You're sighting it wrong obviously. If you pot it with running side but miss it plain ball to the far jaw then the side is pushing in and you're hitting it thicker to pot it.

Try placing a ball next to the black, as if lining up an unmissable plant. Stand behind the cue ball and that's your plain ball potting angle. You clearly see it as thinner than it actually is.
                              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

• As I'm a pretty bad player there are many shots I've trouble with.
                                But the most difficult shots for me are when the cueball is close to a cushion. Nearly always miss them.

Comment

Working...
                                X