Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    Actually I disagree (don't shoot me but ) - I think hitting perfect centre ball every time is hard to do consistently and probably quite a few good players even pro players do hit just to the left or right of centre ball - I cue all over the white - whatever is needed - some players that cue just to the right or left of centre might not be aware they are doing it too. Not everyone plays the same way - what matters is hitting where you are aiming - if it helps it helps. I do know players that do this - so I think he has a point. New ideas are always welcome at snooker - let him earn a few quid doing the thing he loves I say without discrediting his ideas totally out of hand because he does know some stuff that can help players.
    Yes your are right not many players can hit the centre of the white consistently ...I tend to hit to the left on power shots I still pot the ball but the side ruins the cue ball position...I think your brain adjusts
    I have tried playing with so called helping side..it works but the timing of the cue ball is more important ...it’s good to try new ideas

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Chrisg...EVERYONE twists into the shot as the hips move towards the bridge side of the body when you bend the forward leg. This happens when standing behind the shot however and allows the head to get on the line of aim. Another fact that is a little problematic for Roy is likely 99.99% of players place the straight-leg foot on the line of aim however, to give you your due there are always statistical outlayers like yourself who find what you call 'text book' to not be for them even though every other player in the world uses it and improves with it.

Tell Ronnie to 'twist into the shot' and see what happens as dropping your head straight down on the chosen line of aim makes a lot of common sense to me and Roy's twisting into the shot from the left as he gets into the address posituion is a definite non-starter for me.
      Terry, this is exactly my point. The "textbook" approach does not work for everyone, because, everyone "sees" the shot differently. I am not for one minute saying the textbook approach is wrong, what I am just saying is it is not for me as I don't feel comfortable on the shot with it...Hence, you can't just write it off because it is not what everyone else is doing.

Actually, if you watch Barry Stark's latest video, in it, he talks about the grip and how to hold it, but then, after, says, to paraphrase, at the end of the day, I don't really care how you hold the cue, as long as it gets delivered in a straight line and you get through the ball.

So, at the end of the day, who cares how you stand or what method you use, as long as you pot the balls and win frames!
      Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
        So, at the end of the day, who cares how you stand or what method you use, as long as you pot the balls and win frames!
        It's how you get the cue on the line of aim that matters most and you need to place your feet in the right position to do that. In the recent Champion Of Champions McManus pointed out that Luca Brecel's left foot was actually behind his right foot when down in his stance, so you could say over square, and I must say I've never seen that before. I have a mate who plays with a square stance with both legs straight so no twisting into the shot for him as he simply puts his left foot to the side and bends down from the waist, elbow sticking out and cue right under his chest.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
          It's how you get the cue on the line of aim that matters most and you need to place your feet in the right position to do that. In the recent Champion Of Champions McManus pointed out that Luca Brecel's left foot was actually behind his right foot when down in his stance, so you could say over square, and I must say I've never seen that before. I have a mate who plays with a square stance with both legs straight so no twisting into the shot for him as he simply puts his left foot to the side and bends down from the waist, elbow sticking out and cue right under his chest.
          75% of the shot is done on approach. Exactly my point - is that not everyone has the "textbook" stance. You do what feels right for you. Luca clearly feels comfortable playing that way and who is to argue as he pots off the lampshades!

Comment

• Hello Alabadi, did you see your coach as you said you were? I am very interested in the reply you got. All the best Roy.

Comment

• A question for Snooker Secrets...

Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
              Hello Alabadi, did you see your coach as you said you were? I am very interested in the reply you got. All the best Roy.
              Hi Roy, or whoever....

I have one question for you re your technique. When you talk about putting the cue on the hip on the table rail etc, how does this work if you don't put the cue on the rail when you;re standing behind the shot?

If you watch TV a lot of the players "slide" into the shot by sliding their bridge hand down the cue when they walk into the shot.

I really like your technique, but I don't want to put my cue on the rail all the time etc. Perhaps you should have created a bit in the video which explains this...

Can you just explain this?

All the best.

Comment

• To judge potting angles a good while back I used BOB and then on to angular lines to drop my cue on to that line going from CB to OB.

However, now I just see the shot and drop down and pots go in on a high %. I have no idea how I look on a shot stance wise or any wise for that matter. I am and intend playing the game as naturally as I can. All this text book stuff hinders my game and over a long period of playing the robotic actions will break down and I know I will be found out.

Pot doesn't go in??, normally movement on the shot..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Hi Chrisg, nice to hear from you, that is a good question, the reason I explain placing the cue on the rail is really for the uneducated players that do not get there cue in line through cb to point at which they are aiming, it is just a easy way to do it, but you are right when you become a cueman you do slide your cue along your bridge as you approach the table, you also where there is room slide your bridge hand towards cb to the required distance, by doing this the unseen occurance happens. By doing this it brings your feet into the correct position and balance required without you having to think about them. All the best,Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
                    Hi Chrisg, nice to hear from you, that is a good question, the reason I explain placing the cue on the rail is really for the uneducated players that do not get there cue in line through cb to point at which they are aiming, it is just a easy way to do it, but you are right when you become a cueman you do slide your cue along your bridge as you approach the table, you also where there is room slide your bridge hand towards cb to the required distance, by doing this the unseen occurance happens. By doing this it brings your feet into the correct position and balance required without you having to think about them. All the best,Roy of Snooker Secrets.
                    So do I then for example when not having the cue on the rail place my right foot outside the CB at a slight angle and then twist into the shot? I can use the sliding of the bridge whilst doing this when walking into the shot?

Forgive me if I miss understood your reply -

BTW - I agree with you that everyone has different vision points as I've just got glasses and am going to have to adapt again to a completely different way of seeing the balls!

Comment

• You don't understand snooker one little bit.

Comment

• Have I misunderstood this latest posting? Is alrocco saying the hands are placed first and then that guides the feet to the proper spot?

'by doing this the unseen occurance happens. By doing this it brings your feet into the correct position and balance required without you having to think about them.'

I always thought the feet get placed in position first and then the player drops down straight into the address position. I agree with this as it makes total sense rather than having the hands guide the feet without having to think about then.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Perhaps you should try stepping into the shot with your cue in its line through cb to point of aim, you will ALWAYS be perfectly balanced, and able to play your shot without any movement whatsoever. Your feet find there natural balance. All the best Roy.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
                            Perhaps you should try stepping into the shot with your cue in its line through cb to point of aim, you will ALWAYS be perfectly balanced, and able to play your shot without any movement whatsoever. Your feet find there natural balance. All the best Roy.
                            knowledge. good post.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              Have I misunderstood this latest posting? Is alrocco saying the hands are placed first and then that guides the feet to the proper spot?

'by doing this the unseen occurance happens. By doing this it brings your feet into the correct position and balance required without you having to think about them.'

I always thought the feet get placed in position first and then the player drops down straight into the address position. I agree with this as it makes total sense rather than having the hands guide the feet without having to think about then.
                              Definitely focus on the cue rather then feet.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                                Definitely focus on the cue rather then feet.
                                So you're saying that you place the cue online first and then move the feet into position, but how do you put the cue online first? I didn't advocate concentrating on the feet first however in my experience most players place the straight leg foot on the line of aim and everything flows from there. In your argument the cue is placed on the line of aim first and then the feet automatically take up the correct line along with the chest and grip. To me the feet represent the foundation of the proper stance.
                                Terry Davidson
                                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                                X