No announcement yet.

My first ever snooker coaching session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i went once a couple of years ago. however its a 5 hour drive to Edinburgh. so i would have to stay overnight like i did last time i went as i don't fancy driving for 10 hours plus

Comment

Jim Donnelly coached me to put the back pause in to my game and it helped me massively.

I disagree that it's not for everyone & ronnie as an example doesnt work as he does have a back pause it's just fast like everything else about his game, the back pause is simple physics as the stop in backward momentum will offer more control of the cue going forward rather than your brain having 2 things to think about:

which is bring it back straight, put it through straight
      vs
      just put the cue through straight and smooth

99 x out of 100 your going to be more accurate with the pause, it's worth the effort it may muck up your game for a month or 2, it did with me but Jim got me from a 30-40 break player to making 80s and 90s and threatening my first ton i recommend the pause to anyone looking to improve their game. Seek out a coach to help you implement it maybe it isn't for everyone folk like Jimmy White, Mark Allen, Peter Ebdon, Alex Higgins all spring to mind when you think of great players not having a pause but at least 2 of them possibly 3 or immense natural talents that not 1 of us could probably claim 1% of their natural flair for the game.

Consistency also favours the players who have the textbook cue action with the rear pause, Davis was unreal in his hey day. Technically I think he's the most accomplished player the game ever had, all round he had everything and I doubt anyone but a Hendry or John Higgins could stand toe to toe with him in his heydey and funnily enough they both had the textbook rear pause.

Comment

My rear pause use to be blatant but its more of a subtle one now, bit like Osullivan,s. The rear pause does help detach a poor final back swing but as I say a lot insist its not for them, such as a Murphy one for example.
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post

I disagree that it's not for everyone
          I don't think it is for everyone, I know two local players who have had max's neither of which have a rear pause. Sometimes if it isn't broke don't fix it.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Sounds like it was a great coaching session.

I remember the first one I had and when you see the improvement in your own game that's when this game becomes addictive!

I've had coaching for a year and a half now. The good thing about the coach i have is he lets me find out all the stuff from what is going on online and then I have a lesson with him and he dispenses all the bull from the quality.

He never writes off anything until he's seen it in action and then if it needs correcting he will correct.

A lot of snooker technique is being the taught the basics, but then figuring the rest out for yourself and what feels comfortable...

Good luck with your snooker...
            Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Working...
            X