help identifying a style/type of cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying a style/type of cue

hi guys,i wonder if anyone can help me,i have seen various cues around my area with a kind of unique design.The cues i have seen are 3/4 usually ash but have no splicing on the shaft and just a solid ebony or other wood used for the butt. any help would be great

so from the joint to tip there just ash

Comment

yeah thats right it might be common to others but i havent seen many,i remember alex higgins using a design similar a long time ago in 1 tournament and on big break as well.

Comment

Sounds like the easiest and cheapest possible way of making a 3/4 cue, won't cost much at all

Comment

sounds like it would be bottom heavy and a little on the light side, would imagine 15 to 16 ounces depending on density of ebony or butt wood. cant say I have ever seen one. Lots of Canadian 2 piece cues are like that.... Cheers and good luck, find the Video and give us the link if you think you can find it. Cheers again....
          I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

this is the first video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5EILBQ81jw if you skip to 6:38 you can see alex use one

Comment

I have actually used that cue - so I can tell you - and I was actually watching more than a few of the exhibitions that Jimmy and Alex did up and down the country and back home in Ireland back then I think - they did lots of stuff together always good nights.

For your information Alex used what I would term a Frankenstein cue towards the end - he was quite knowledgeable on cues and said he loved old English ash the best and was obsessed with getting the right weight and balance and so the top half of the cue was a old B & W Champion - lovely piece of ash and the bottom was just a old hollowed out butt from a rack cue made especially so where Alex could swap and fit different lead weights which he carried around with him.

I think changed these with his mood and also he always checked how fast the table played first so I think that had a bearing on what weight he used as doing exhibitions in different venues invariably meant playing on different conditions night after night. I believe the guy who worked on his cue mostly over a few decades was Bob Akers in Leeds. He was very fussy and particular with his cues if a little careless at times.
              Last edited by Byrom; 26 August 2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X