Warped cues and wood memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped cues and wood memory

What are your thoughts on repairing warped cues and the effects of wood memory?

Is ash different to maple and lasts longer?

Do all cues go back to where they originally were, if that was the case and they started off straight before being affected by temperature, humidity etc they would return to a straight cue if placed back in a normal atmosphere ?

Watched this video and apart from cringing if it did any damage to the cue surface the tool was interesting.

Video
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

i use the stair rails,find were bend is ,press against bend and rub with my hand the heat generated helps get the bend out.

Comment

Hi Jim

Is that on all cue or just ash?

Years ago I used to find the bend centre on ash cues, lay them on a table and work them upwards gently by rubbing my hand over it. Used to work most of the time but would need to have another go a few days after to get perfect.

Never really had a go at maple but have heard a few horror stories where they have snapped!

This still brings back memories when I was 18 and someone gave me a burwat champion (didn't know what it was then as I had a Riley Steve Davis).

Left it in the back of my Datsun 230Y and it warped so I threw it away!

Makes me sick when I think about it now.........

Comment

all cues mate.

Comment

Here's an interesting bit of spin on this subject.

One of the best cues I have ever had was bent, my mates cue is bent and he knocks tons for fun. John Spencer's cue was bent he won a few things, ken Doc's cue was bent he won a few things including a world title and Stephen Hendry holds the record of most wins ever including seven world titles also with a bent cue and I probably think there are other players too.

My question is this - how then do we generally perceive this to be a bad thing? and what if Maybe getting used to a bend in a cue a certain way or unusual characteristic of a cue makes you cue in a certain way and actually makes you hold and cue more consistently? Just a thought.

Comment

its inportant to look down the cue to see whats going on, cus it may be that the cue itself aint been cut right from the start. if thats the case then it will move back, its only till its cut straight thats its not likely to move or move again

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              Here's an interesting bit of spin on this subject.

One of the best cues I have ever had was bent, my mates cue is bent and he knocks tons for fun. John Spencer's cue was bent he won a few things, ken Doc's cue was bent he won a few things including a world title and Stephen Hendry holds the record of most wins ever including seven world titles also with a bent cue and I probably think there are other players too.

My question is this - how then do we generally perceive this to be a bad thing? and what if Maybe getting used to a bend in a cue a certain way or unusual characteristic of a cue makes you cue in a certain way and actually makes you hold and cue more consistently? Just a thought.
              Just spent the evening putting a bend in my cue. Can't wait for practice tomorrow!

It's an interesting point you make and I guess it's where the player lines up from, cue shaft, ferule, nothing? Also depend where the bend is, the last few inches may look straight and the brain makes adjustments with the rest?

Comment

lots of players good players play with bent cues,ask them how long they have played with it,95% will say its only cue ive played with,so people learn to play with what you got instead of swopping and changing things its cues fault,easy lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                  lots of players good players play with bent cues,ask them how long they have played with it,95% will say its only cue ive played with,so people learn to play with what you got instead of swopping and changing things its cues fault,easy lol
                  Sounds a bit like my golf. Got a garage full of putters and drivers.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but as always, I have a perfect swing so it's not my fault.....

Comment

all that tool is doing is creating heat with the friction against the cue to heat it to move the wood back, would like to see the cue the day after when it returns to a bent shape

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                      its inportant to look down the cue to see whats going on, cus it may be that the cue itself aint been cut right from the start. if thats the case then it will move back, its only till its cut straight thats its not likely to move or move again
                      Not neccessarily, taking a little more wood from the shaft can release the tension in the timber and make it bend even more. I say just turn it around in your hand until you're looking down the shaft where it's straight and always hold it in that position; it's what I used to do with an old machine spliced pro tapered cue that I used for pool.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        Not neccessarily, taking a little more wood from the shaft can release the tension in the timber and make it bend even more. I say just turn it around in your hand until you're looking down the shaft where it's straight and always hold it in that position; it's what I used to do with an old machine spliced pro tapered cue that I used for pool.
                        thats never happend to me.. if a shaft is miss shapen thats where the as you put it tention is, an you can clearly see that by doing the hand tap resonance test. the shaft will give off a bad vibe. when this is removed and you feel an see that its more conical, repeat the test an you will invariably see an feel that the shaft is more uniform hance a more reliable hitting cue
                        saying that iv had some shocking cues that i thought hit nice at the time, an the cue i use now aint straight. but a good bit of wood is really what its all about
                        Last edited by j6uk; 29 August 2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X