Eyes focus on white during walk-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes focus on white during walk-in

I posted my long blue video on this forum awhile ago, and got many feedback and exercise suggestion, and I've been tweaking since then. Happy to share with everyone, that last week I had a 55 break, my highest break in a very long time (my average is 10 to 20 usually), this made me very exciting and had been practicing almost everyday last week.

One thing I discovered, that on my walk-in, if I keep my eyes focused on the white instead of the red, I become more consistent. I know the proper way is to keep eye focused on red or BOB, until bridge hand is on the table, then you switch to the white. However, this "improper" way seems to work better for me, just want to see if any mate out here have similar experience or thoughts.

These are the steps I do:

1. Stand behind white, sight the line of aim.

2. Put/shift/turn center of body onto the line of aim, with both feet close to each other (not shoulder width, since I find walk in is more balanced with starting feet position close together)

3. step right foot onto line of aim, eyes (actually my nose pointing) focused on the back of the white ball

4. place left foot into final position, at the same time place cue and bridge hand onto the line, start to bend down. All this time, I keep my eyes locked on the back of the white.

5. bridge hand onto the table, chin and chest to the cue. (I'm using center chin, although I'm right eye dominant)

6. then look at the red, and focus on the BOB

7. backswing etc, focus on the feeling of having white impacting red at BOB

I guess one of the question is probably how do I still know where BOB is in #6

I've always had trouble finding BOB in #1, in fact in #1 I'm not trying to pin point the BOB anymore, but use imaginary lines on the table to judge the proper overlap of the two balls.

And in #6, maybe because I'm closer to the red ball in the down position, I find it easier for me to sense where the BOB is.

So I think this sums up all the details I do.

Thoughts anyone?

- Thunder

Too many thought pal...

Decide what shot you're gonna play...

Now you already know how to stand and grip and bridge and move the cue so you can do that without thinking... breathing too...

Get on the line of the shot... Get down... Keep still... Deliver the cue straight... Nothing else matters.

If you're on the Line of aim... and you don't move... and you push the cue through straight... It is IMPOSSIBLE to miss...

If you do miss, then one of those three points has gone wrong...

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Too many thought pal...

Decide what shot you're gonna play...

Now you already know how to stand and grip and bridge and move the cue so you can do that without thinking... breathing too...

Get on the line of the shot... Get down... Keep still... Deliver the cue straight... Nothing else matters.

If you're on the Line of aim... and you don't move... and you push the cue through straight... It is IMPOSSIBLE to miss...

If you do miss, then one of those three points has gone wrong...
      At last someone straight to the point without waffle.

Comment

My three points assume that you already know how to stand, bridge and grip the cue...

Your eyes don't matter as much as they think you do.... All you need your eyes for is to tell you if you're in the line of aim... the pocket's bigger than the OB, so the subtle nuances of 1/32 of an inch here with your focus won't affect anything...

As much as some on here will tell you it does...

If you think it works for you, then great... you have taken the placebo and good luck to you...

Solid fundamentals...
        Consistency with your pre shot routine and aiming...
        Keeping still...
        Delivery...

The rest is just practice to work on your timing and experience to learn when to play which shot... and the fun part is, you can never have enough experience.

Practice... practice and practice some more... The only answer to improvement, whatever your standard.
        Last edited by pottr; 1 September 2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

My three points assume that you already know how to stand, bridge and grip the cue...

Your eyes don't matter as much as they think you do.... All you need your eyes for is to tell you if you're in the line of aim... the pocket's bigger than the OB, so the subtle nuances of 1/32 of an inch here with your focus won't affect anything...

If you think it works for you, then great... you have taken the placebo and good look to you...

Solid fundamentals...
          Keeping still...
          Delivery...

The rest is just practice to work on your timing and experience to learn when to play which shot... and the fun part is, you can never have enough experience.

Practice... practice and practice some more... The only answer to improvement, whatever your standard.
          Should just copy and paste this on all the coaching threads, keep it nice and simple and practice your nuts off lol.

Comment

Make sure you change 'look' to 'luck' if you do

Comment

If you think it works for you, then great... you have taken the placebo and good luck to you...

Solid fundamentals...
              Keeping still...
              Delivery...

I am glad im not the only one who thinks this way, people trying to teach their eyes how to move from white to object ball like if it's going to make them pot the ball without having to worry about anything else. For me it is much more important having a chest contact point, the hard part is having this contact point without moving the cue out of line during the setup.

Comment

For me it is much more important having a chest contact point, the hard part is having this contact point without moving the cue out of line during the setup.
                Discovering the chest as a point of contact was the Eureka moment for my development... Can remember where I was and how I felt when I did it... Consistency came from that day without effort.

Comment

Originally Posted by thunder66 View Post
                  I've always had trouble finding BOB in #1, in fact in #1 I'm not trying to pin point the BOB anymore, but use imaginary lines on the table to judge the proper overlap of the two balls.
                  Congatulations, you've now found BOB, because that's what BOB is, not an impossible to focus on single spot contact point, but the overlap of the two balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                    Congatulations, you've now found BOB, because that's what BOB is, not an impossible to focus on single spot contact point, but the overlap of the two balls.
                    Thanks vmax!

Interesting enough, I came across this post of yours, exact same discovery as mine from two years ago

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ighlight=belly

Did you have a new version of this technique later on?

I'm suspecting focusing on white while getting down enables me to get onto the line better, or, maybe I don't know the proper way to drop straight down, any drill for doing this?

Comment

Skip the walk on and stand directly in final stance position like trump

Comment

I feel the same.. focusing too much on eye could be a problem.. when i get down it is far more consistent if i just focus on whenever the cue is on the line of aim / or parallel to the line when side applies.

When i focus too much on the Bob, or tell the eye where to look, i miss shots.

Probably i need more practices to cue straight...

Comment

Working...
                        X