Consistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consistency

One of the aspects of the game that drives me made is my inconsistency. One day I play like I can't miss a ball and the next I look like I have just started playing the game. In fact this can happen frame to frame. Is this a real common theme with most players?
    Be nice if I could raise my poor game to ok standard, even if my best form doesn't improve.
    Any advice?

Consistency is the key to the whole game. Your top game is largely irrelevant unless you can reproduce it when called upon. And the only way to get consistent is by practising intelligently and putting yourself under pressure by playing lots of matches. That said, everyone has a natural level that no amount of practise will taken them beyond. But until you put the hours in, you will never know what that is. And in answer to your question, I do think struggling with consistency is something loads of dedicated players experience. I am certainly one of them. Regular seventy break clearances with six or seven reds left on the table in open play practise, yet nowhere near duplicating that in a match. It's all in the head, and that's what you need to master. But get your stroke right first.
    Last edited by ghost121; 14 August 2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Put a video up. Consistency is what every player strives for and few achieve. As ghost says above you have to get your technique consistent, meaning you have to have your technique fine-tuned to where you can deliver the cue consistently straight.

No one can help you with a general question like that as there could easily be 8-10 reasons why you're having trouble. If you post a video perhaps we will be able to pinpoint where you need to fine-tune your technique and after that it's all in the mind.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

i see your highest break is in the 50s. this means your gernerally breaking down in the 20-30s. so apart from maybe struggling with technical issues sounds like youve not yet committed yourself to the game yet
        so a vid could be a good place to start

Comment

Totally agree with J6 on this, you can't keep blaming consistency it's your game itself that's the problem

Comment

Fair points. I only started playing again last September after 20 odd years away from the game. I got back into it quickly but form dipped in December and I knew my technique was wrong. I took a few lessons and have changed a lot in my game, however, for the first time this year I feel comfortable with my technique and have been practising hard. I am playing better on a more regular basis and you are right, when I don't get the basics right, hit the ball instead of stroking it, keeping my eye on the object ball, staying still, following through with my cue etc I start missing. There is so much to remember but I am seeing the right signs.

It is frustrating when you don't play as well as you can but I will continue to analyze and make sure my technique is right.

Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by Burnpark View Post
              Fair points. I only started playing again last September after 20 odd years away from the game. I got back into it quickly but form dipped in December and I knew my technique was wrong. I took a few lessons and have changed a lot in my game, however, for the first time this year I feel comfortable with my technique and have been practising hard. I am playing better on a more regular basis and you are right, when I don't get the basics right, hit the ball instead of stroking it, keeping my eye on the object ball, staying still, following through with my cue etc I start missing. There is so much to remember but I am seeing the right signs.

It is frustrating when you don't play as well as you can but I will continue to analyze and make sure my technique is right.

Cheers
              How did you play before your lessons and what has changed?

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                How did you play before your lessons and what has changed?
                A lot changed, my stance, grip and pushing the cue through mainly. Its taken a good 8 months for it to start paying off, not sure if that is about right? I still can slip back into bad habits, hence playing inconsistently.

Comment

Well if you are consistent at being inconsistent at lest that's consistent

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. There were some great responses and very useful. I am in agreement that I need to be more consistent with my technique and the more consistent that becomes, the more consistent my game becomes.
                    On Saturday I played really well (only 4 frames), I was focussed and concentrated on my technique and knocked in my biggest break since starting again. I went in for a local handicap tournament yesterday and again I played well for the first few matches but in the final I became tired and lost my focus, what happened? My game went downhill.
                    Onwards and upwards

Comment

I'm starting to see why my game is so inconsistent i need to practice cuing straight and hitting the ball in the centre. When I strike the ball centre and straight my game is very good but I know when I'm hitting with unintentional spin when I see what is happening to the White. Back to the Steve Davis routine of hitting the cue ball up and down the spots to make my cue action more consistent.

Comment

O
                        Originally Posted by Burnpark View Post
                        I'm starting to see why my game is so inconsistent i need to practice cuing straight and hitting the ball in the centre. When I strike the ball centre and straight my game is very good but I know when I'm hitting with unintentional spin when I see what is happening to the White. Back to the Steve Davis routine of hitting the cue ball up and down the spots to make my cue action more consistent.
                        Welcome to TSF !!

Comment

Working...
                        X