Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing

When they say , he's timing the balls very well, what do they actually mean,is it acceleration through the cueball as opposed to the anathema, deceleration? How large a part does follow through play?

Unanswerable question, it's when you hit the ball well. Play a few hundred screw shots, at some point you will hit one well, it feels as if the cue ball wasn't even there and you get much more reaction on it, you timed that shot well.

Comment

"Timing" refers to the idea of having maximum cue acceleration at the point the cue tip contacts the cue ball. This is what generates spin. Follow through helps you maintain acceleration all the way to - and through - the cue ball. Without following through you will find that acceleration either completely stops or possibly becomes deceleration, which results in little-to-no action on the cue ball.

Liang Wenbo is a good example of obvious good timing. Watch as he begins to cue, he moves the cue forward slowly to begin with, then the speed builds as it approaches the cue ball.

Comment

Follow through is irrelevant, and it is not acceleration that is important, rather, not decelerating.

Comment

Careful listening to Mr BS, he is a troll.

Nearly all snooker coaches believe accelerating through the cue ball is very important. Watch a few vids or read a few books off some well known players. You don't have to take my word for it.

Comment

It as explained to me that timing is simply how long the tip is in contact with the White . If you accelerate nicely through the ball the time the tip is in contact is fractionally longer than if you hit it badly

Comment

Originally Posted by bolty View Post
              Careful listening to Mr BS, he is a troll.

Nearly all snooker coaches believe accelerating through the cue ball is very important. Watch a few vids or read a few books off some well known players. You don't have to take my word for it.
              Lol.

Troll? Most snooker coaches don't have a clue what they are on about - you neither by the sounds of it. The CB cares not one jot what your follow through is like. After approx one thousandth of a second, it's gone. Twirl the cue above your head and hop on one leg if you want.

Not decelerating at contact is more important than peak acceleration.

All proven.

Comment

Timing is about acceleration, the cue needs to be accelerating at the point of contact to generate spin, the follow through is important so you don't decelerate on the shot, it's actually impossible to accelerate through the cue ball as the contact slows the cue down.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                  Lol.

Troll? Most snooker coaches don't have a clue what they are on about - you neither by the sounds of it. The CB cares not one jot what your follow through is like. After approx one thousandth of a second, it's gone. Twirl the cue above your head and hop on one leg if you want.

All proven.
                  Having a follow through means the cue was accelerating when it made contact, unless you somehow stopped the cue immediately just after contact.. but where the sense or benefit in that? The idea of striking through the ball is a completely standard and observed practice in cue sports.

I'm only saying this for other peoples benefit, as I know a numb-skull like you probably won't be able to understand.

Just for other peoples information, Mr BS is a so called "pool player" and has admitted to have never even played snooker. Why he comes here and argues the toss with just about anyone/anything is a bit of a mystery. But obviously he's more qualified than the likes of Steve Davis, Jimmy White, Ronny O, Ray Reardon etc etc.

Comment

For me all my timing is in my grip, the cue comes through smoothly, I don't think about the speed it's going at on contact as that's all been decided before I get down, I never ever think about how far it has to come through,I'm just letting it do it's work,I might think about my swing tempo to help with letting the cue come through nicely, but it's my grip that does all the timing, when that's wrong I may as well pack up and go home. Just to add a wee thing ,I find I can get away with it a bit if I time it later but I can't do anything if I time it to early, I struggle to make a twenty break when it's like that as I either miss because I have twitched the tip a bit or the reaction is all wrong, this can creep in during match play. I haven't got a clue if that's right or wrong as everyone else seems to agree it's speed of cue and contact time on the cue ball so maybe this is just utter nonsense, it won't be the first time
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

First of all I resent the comments made by Mr BS. Follow-through is VERY important because a player needs to finish the delivery without having the body jerk. It's a natural result of delivering the cue and accelerating THROUGH AND BEYOND the cueball. This coach believes in follow-through because as has been said you can't possible stop the cue once the cueball is hit because it's a matter of physics. I suppose you could stop the cue but it would sure cause a jerk in the body and result in deceleration in all cases.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        Lol.

All proven.
                        Mr Big Shot is correct on this point in bold. There have be some videos on youtube showing this.

Comment

This is why he's such an effective troll, he uses pseudo-facts to encourage poor techniques and approaches. Why the hell would you actually encourage people to disregard a follow-through, when all qualified coaches agree it's imperative for a good cue action? Of course we know the follow through doesn't change how the cue ball moves directly. It doesn't have some magical effect. It's a symptom of cueing well - with good "timing", which is what this thread is about.

I'd sincerely love to see this guy attempt to pot a few balls on snooker table. Bet it's just laughable.

Comment

Originally Posted by bolty View Post
                            This is why he's such an effective troll, he uses pseudo-facts to encourage poor techniques and approaches. Why the hell would you actually encourage people to disregard a follow-through, when all qualified coaches agree it's imperative for a good cue action? Of course we know the follow through doesn't change how the cue ball moves directly. It doesn't have some magical effect. It's a symptom of cueing well - with good "timing", which is what this thread is about.

I'd sincerely love to see this guy attempt to pot a few balls on snooker table. Bet it's just laughable.

You're an idiot.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              First of all I resent the comments made by Mr BS. Follow-through is VERY important because a player needs to finish the delivery without having the body jerk. It's a natural result of delivering the cue and accelerating THROUGH AND BEYOND the cueball. This coach believes in follow-through because as has been said you can't possible stop the cue once the cueball is hit because it's a matter of physics. I suppose you could stop the cue but it would sure cause a jerk in the body and result in deceleration in all cases.
                              Plenty of truly exceptional cueists have poor follow through. It simply does not matter - it's the bit BEFORE contact that you need to concentrate on.

Comment

Working...
                              X