No announcement yet.

Hunt and O'Byrne Brown Label cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of hunt\osborne, came across this on google talk about an obvious fake and it sold. https://www.panjo.com/buy/hunt-osbor...ker-cue-372583

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
      Yes but it was no longer the same company so the jimmy white connection was lost, design wise they were the same cues more or less. Not even sure how long hunt and osborne were around for as its pretty rare to see one of their cues to say the least. Think I've seen 2 or 3 in the last several years at most.
      Loads around where I live , as the shop is not too far . 2 of my mates have them .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
        Loads around where I live , as the shop is not too far . 2 of my mates have them .
        You referring to robert osborne cues or hunt & osborne cues? The hunt\osborne cues seem pretty rare.

Comment

People have claimed on here before that Robert brings cues in. Doesn't make sense to me, I've been in his workshop and it is pretty big with a lot of machinery for such a cover up.
          He makes in bulk at standard specs, to sell in big batches in one go to the Far East as he got fed up with people changing specs all the time. I don't think he brings cues in to just sell back where they came from! Nice guy and quality cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
            People have claimed on here before that Robert brings cues in. Doesn't make sense to me, I've been in his workshop and it is pretty big with a lot of machinery for such a cover up.
            He makes in bulk at standard specs, to sell in big batches in one go to the Far East as he got fed up with people changing specs all the time. I don't think he brings cues in to just sell back where they came from! Nice guy and quality cues.
            Agreed. I liked his workshop this week when I went. Sure, I didn't see any sawdust on the floor, but he wasn't actually working on a cue at the time. The 30 odd cues he had in various stages of completion all looked awesome. I would like to own one in due course!

Comment

Not even sure how long hunt and osborne were around...
              only about 4 years (~2006 ~2010)
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just surprises me he doesn't put some of his cues on sale on his site, he did one time and they all sold pretty quickly, they were all green\red plate cues. Not even sure if he's made any black plates.

Comment

Just surprises me he doesn't put some of his cues on sale on his site, he did one time and they all sold pretty quickly, they were all green\red plate cues. Not even sure if he's made any black plates.
                  that would mean he would have to do the work; instead of just boxing them and sending them out to FE for a wedge of notes :biggrin:
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You referring to robert osborne cues or hunt & osborne cues? The hunt\osborne cues seem pretty rare.
                    Both , I know a guy that has one that is about 20 years plus old !
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

He can't be arsed dealing with the post office all the time. He's happy making in big batches and sending off in one go to his agents, no hassles. Anyone can walk in off the street and try as many cues as they want on his 6ft table.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        that would mean he would have to do the work; instead of just boxing them and sending them out to FE for a wedge of notes :biggrin:
                        I phoned him before and asked and he said he doesn't have the shipping materials to send cues out by post, the ones that arrive in China must get there by Amphibious Rickshaw or something.

Comment

I phoned him before and asked and he said he doesn't have the shipping materials to send cues out by post, the ones that arrive in China must get there by Amphibious Rickshaw or something.
                          More like he doesn't want to ship. He's a straight forward guy lol. He just can't be asked with the headache but once you're in there it's nice. Can try cues all day long in there. And talk about the smell of boiled linseed oil haha

Comment

From speaking to him, he is very straight forward. Doesn't try to sell anything - just gives his opinions and when you ask if x is better then y he just says it's all meaningless - you just need to try out the cue. He doesn't put anyone else down and gives you all the time you need. I didn't buy anything and he was just as happy to let me try out some cues.

Why would you bother with individual customers and our incessant requests for certain specifications and details when you can make batches of cues and sell them to anyone one of many distributors who will buy in bulk at a higher price. Saves on the postage headache.

I don't think Robert is a salesman and he doesn't try to be. Unlike John Parris who has a charm and flair about him and a slick shop, Robert is passionate about cue making and happy to sell them at higher prices. John has a very different set up - very nicely polished cues, but the wood is not the same quality in look compared with Robert - just my opinion. Ebony not as black - still good cues but just not the same.

Comment

As for Black plates - he says he's made less than 50 in the last 10 years and sold them all to the foreign market as no one here would pay the price.

Fair play to him.

Just makes me want one even more!

Comment

Just to add my thoughts and experience. I visited Roberts workshop and bought a cue last year. He will happily let you try whatever finished cues he has at the time. He doesn’t do custom stuff and makes batches to sell in Asia through agents. He won’t upsell you on anything, and insists all cues are different regardless of materials. I was knocking balls about on his mini table for ages while working my way through over a dozen cues. It was definitely a working workshop. I’m an engineer and have been around my fair share! There wasn’t a spare inch of space that wasn’t taken up by tools, materials or machinery, and it had all the right smells and sounds. I bought a red plate plain ebony 3/4 in maple with extensions. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X