Center Ball Striking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Ball Striking

Hi all, quick question. How far can one get with just centre ball striking? I've always played like this and only use side when playing frozen cushion shots but was just wondering when should one use side and how can I practice using it?

You can make decent breaks with just centre balls. I've made 50s and 60s with no side. No reason why you cant knock in tonnes without it.

I'd recommend just practicing, play with side and see what happens. No real way to teach it

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
      You can make decent breaks with just centre balls. I've made 50s and 60s with no side. No reason why you cant knock in tonnes without it.

I'd recommend just practicing, play with side and see what happens. No real way to teach it
      That's reassuring. I'm in no rush to learn it, was just wondering if there was some point I had to start using it. My current highest break is 22 so I'll just continue as is. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

There's a good Barry Stark you-tube which is worth a watch. It's no 89 and titled "Centre Ball Striking - Positional Possibilities". Opens your eyes to what you can do with the white without bothering with the complexities of side.
        https://youtu.be/pA_6L7Kas1I
        Last edited by Bigmeek; 17 July 2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I've made centuries without using side. You'll be fine without it.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by IPotWhites View Post
            That's reassuring. I'm in no rush to learn it, was just wondering if there was some point I had to start using it. My current highest break is 22 so I'll just continue as is. Thanks a bunch!
            There are many on this forum who use side and know how to teach it but it always descends into a slanging match about transfered spin to the object ball so I for one no longer wish to go there.
            Seek out the previous threads on the subject and ignore Hello Mr Big Shot's 9 ball pool rants about tip end mass and transfered spin and you'll get the gist of it enough to practise some shots and get used to how your own cue deflects the cue ball when striking off centre. Whether you believe spin transfers or not the aiming has to be compensated for and the outcome is the same so go for it and when in the future you find yourself out of position you can play a side shot and go on to beat your current high break.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Try to play without side as much as possible, use it only if necessary.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                There are many on this forum who use side and know how to teach it but it always descends into a slanging match about transfered spin to the object ball so I for one no longer wish to go there.
                Seek out the previous threads on the subject and ignore Hello Mr Big Shot's 9 ball pool rants about tip end mass and transfered spin and you'll get the gist of it enough to practise some shots and get used to how your own cue deflects the cue ball when striking off centre. Whether you believe spin transfers or not the aiming has to be compensated for and the outcome is the same so go for it and when in the future you find yourself out of position you can play a side shot and go on to beat your current high break.
                Every English Billiards player worth their salt knows that side transfers . It's essential for some shots. .

oops, what have I started ?

Comment

When practicing experiment as much as possible about what happens to the cue ball & object balls when using side.
                  You will be a much better player eventually gaining this knowledge then if you stick to center ball striking imo.
                  In match play stick to what you know.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    There's a good Barry Stark you-tube which is worth a watch. It's no 89 and titled "Centre Ball Striking - Positional Possibilities". Opens your eyes to what you can do with the white without bothering with the complexities of side.
                    https://youtu.be/pA_6L7Kas1I
                    Will watch it, thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                      I've made centuries without using side. You'll be fine without it.
                      Ayy that's very reassuring, thanks man!

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        LOL. I'll experiment during practice and see what happens, thanks for the tips (especially about ignoring Hello Mr Big Shot's 9 ball pool rants xD)

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                          Try to play without side as much as possible, use it only if necessary.
                          I actually do that already, avoid it entirely apart from the unintentional side here and there. Was just wondering if it was something I should know or can go on without. Thanks for the reminders though!

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                            When practicing experiment as much as possible about what happens to the cue ball & object balls when using side.
                            You will be a much better player eventually gaining this knowledge then if you stick to center ball striking imo.
                            In match play stick to what you know.
                            Hmm interesting point. Nothing wrong with having the knowledge as you said. I'll experiment during practice. Cheers!

Comment

Originally Posted by IPotWhites View Post
                              Hmm interesting point. Nothing wrong with having the knowledge as you said. I'll experiment during practice. Cheers!
                              Try potting half ball blacks off the spot with just a trace of side and see what happens to the white. By "trace" I mean just a half or full tip width from the centre of the white. Experiment with left and right of centre ball.
                              Here's another one which will help you beat your 22 high break.
                              https://youtu.be/NjWGPD7ZsnY
                              Last edited by Bigmeek; 18 July 2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X