cue arm&shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue arm&shoulder

thanks for taking the time to write that.

cheers
    matt

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
      - Consistent control and delivery of the cue
      On this point, you must have a reliable and consistent way of getting the cue to deliver down a straight line. Stance, shoulders, bridge hand, grip, Backswing, cue pauses all play a part. You need a SMOOTH consistent delivery, and that comes in many shapes and sizes.

- Shot selection
      This is massive. Very rarely discussed on this forum. Almost all players are concerned with their cue action. In my experience, many, many players could keep their existing action, improve their shot selection, and improve massively.

- Use of side
      It's mostly discussed on this forum to avoid side, and although it obviously complicates a shot, it is vital you can use it, and also know how and when to use it effectively.

- Practice
      If you can't do something, practice it. I often hear people say something like "I can't pot blue to split the reds, I always miss the blue". Well, practice that shot then. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't.

- Stop tinkering
      Stick to the fundamentals that work, and do it over and over again. Every time you play, repeat an action that works and stick to it.... DON'T KEEP CHANGING THINGS!

- Years
      It takes years to improve and get to a high standard. Enjoy the process. If it was easy, we'd all be on the TV.

Good luck!
      There are only a few things which are vitally important and all the rest is just fine-tuning but hardly worth doing. The three things are:
      1. STAYING STILL ON THE SHOT, from feathers to backswing to delivery.
      2. ACCELERATE THROUGH AND BEYOND THE CUEBALL until the back of the bridge hand hits the chest.
      3. DELIVER THE CUE STRAIGHT CONSISTENTLY by monitoring yourself, ideally with video.

Learning the use of side is vital to a player who wants to make high breaks consistently however it should not be practiced until you can deliver the cue consistently straight. Shot selection is the same thing as it has to be learned after you can deliver the cue straight.

Another important aspect is try and think at least 2 shots ahead, when on a red think what angle should I get on this colour in order to get on THAT red. Now this is difficult and always changes because you almost never hit a ball EXACTLY how you intended. Those players who advocate thinking 5 or 6 shots ahead live in an alternate reality where every player can hit the ball exactly how he intended.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• test reply to show posts - hopefully
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
          - Consistent control and delivery of the cue
          On this point, you must have a reliable and consistent way of getting the cue to deliver down a straight line. Stance, shoulders, bridge hand, grip, Backswing, cue pauses all play a part. You need a SMOOTH consistent delivery, and that comes in many shapes and sizes.

- Shot selection
          This is massive. Very rarely discussed on this forum. Almost all players are concerned with their cue action. In my experience, many, many players could keep their existing action, improve their shot selection, and improve massively.

- Use of side
          It's mostly discussed on this forum to avoid side, and although it obviously complicates a shot, it is vital you can use it, and also know how and when to use it effectively.

- Practice
          If you can't do something, practice it. I often hear people say something like "I can't pot blue to split the reds, I always miss the blue". Well, practice that shot then. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't.

- Stop tinkering
          Stick to the fundamentals that work, and do it over and over again. Every time you play, repeat an action that works and stick to it.... DON'T KEEP CHANGING THINGS!

- Years
          It takes years to improve and get to a high standard. Enjoy the process. If it was easy, we'd all be on the TV.

Good luck!
          So how do you improve your shot selection?

Comment

• I can't see page 31

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              I can't see page 31
              I can know, thanks to your post I think
              hope this pops it into view for you

Comment

• Originally Posted by matthias View Post

cheers
                matt
                can you see page 31 now?

Comment

• I could see it as soon as I posted that I couldn't see it. This forum software is trying to make me look like a liar.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                    So how do you improve your shot selection?
                    Very difficult unless you've got someone that's incredibly good to practice with.

I was lucky that my mate has had many 147s, so I'd be stopping him all the time and saying "why did you play that then and not this", "how come you aren't playing this red and you're taking that one" etc.

Depends how much people want to learn. Most people won't play my mate cause they're bored of picking balls out. I just saw it as a massive opportunity to see why he was good and I was plop.
                    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      Originally Posted by matthias View Post

cheers
                      matt
                      can you see page 31 now?
                      yes all is working again, the J6 thread also
                      thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X