English Open 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
    I don't know how anyone who has played a bit of snooker can honestly claim that he didn't notice that, I've done the same thing before and you notice it instantly even if you only brush it lightly. As I've said though, he leathered it. It's just not possible that he didn't notice, there's not even a glimmer of a chance no matter what the situation. Even if he had only lightly brushed it then he would notice it, but in this case he is bang to rights.
    Agree with this totally.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      In this situation does the ref get a good telling off afterwards then ?
      I have wondered what happens after incidents
      I assume there would be a debrief and maybe senior referees and maybe the Rules committee may discuss.
      There are meetings held every so often with EASB members (and others) where scenarios and results are discussed/assessed and if appropriate a change is drafted and then agreed with the Rules Committee, then published.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Twice in one week ROS gets snooker in the press, BH will be happy :biggrin:

Comment

• Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
          .... Post match interviews, Ronnie did look embarrassed with the situation.
          You need to watch it again. He watched the replay 3 times, and even then, supposedly, someone else had to point it out to him. He looked at that monitor, watched it 3 times and saw nothing. Now, you watch it 3 times for me, and tell me you think it could be missed. Ridiculous. Like all fibbers, he over-egged the pudding.

-
          The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
            You need to watch it again. He watched the replay 3 times, and even then, supposedly, someone else had to point it out to him. He looked at that monitor, watched it 3 times and saw nothing. Now, you watch it 3 times for me, and tell me you think it could be missed. Ridiculous. Like all fibbers, he over-egged the pudding.

-
            Try watching the clip, assuming you don’t know what happens, focusing on the red going into the pocket.

You won’t see the foul.

Now he may have being playing dumb, but if he genuinely didn’t know then I’d suggest what happened in the studio is believable.

In truth we will never know!

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              Try watching the clip, assuming you don’t know what happens, focusing on the red going into the pocket.

You won’t see the foul.

Now he may have being playing dumb, but if he genuinely didn’t know then I’d suggest what happened in the studio is believable.

In truth we will never know!
              Hi missed it 3 times, really?

-
              The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                Hi missed it 3 times, really?

-
                Absolutely, I knew it happened and when I focused on the red being potted I had to watch it 3 times to spot it.

It’s very easy as we all know it happened, so we’re all automatically looking in the right place.

Now I’m not suggesting for sure he didn’t see it, maybe he was playing games. I’m just saying it is absolutely possible it was genuine.

Comment

• The only thing I would add to this is to say if as a player you truly didn't see this, then at least offer to stand down and bow out of the tournament gracefully.

I don't know how anyone could go further in the competition knowing they had unfairly won a frame that was pivotal in the match and influenced the outcome. Say he goes on to win, that's not a trophy I could feel pleased with.

If anyone feels that is over the top, then the least I would expect is for him to give half the winnings to charity as a good will gesture for an honest missed foul.

If No gestures made,I would probably side with those believing he did see or feel it.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                    The only thing I would add to this is to say if as a player you truly didn't see this, then at least offer to stand down and bow out of the tournament gracefully.

I don't know how anyone could go further in the competition knowing they had unfairly won a frame that was pivotal in the match and influenced the outcome. Say he goes on to win, that's not a trophy I could feel pleased with.

If anyone feels that is over the top, then the least I would expect is for him to give half the winnings to charity as a good will gesture for an honest missed foul.

If No gestures made,I would probably side with those believing he did see or feel it.
                    I’m going to disagree here, if he genuinely didn’t see it, he’s done nothing wrong and has nothing to apologise for.

If it was intentional that’s another matter...but of course that will never be known!

Comment

I’m going to disagree here, if he genuinely didn’t see it, he’s done nothing wrong and has nothing to apologise for.

If it was intentional that’s another matter...but of course that will never be known!
                      The trouble is he is apologising profusely. Actions speak louder than words and a meaningful gesture would go a long way. Just MHO.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                        The trouble is he is apologising profusely. Actions speak louder than words and a meaningful gesture would go a long way. Just MHO.
                        He has offered to replay the game (albeit presumably knows World Snooker would never allow that), he could withdraw, but that would just mean Davis gets a bye.

It shows how high everyone regards integrity in snooker that this is such a big deal, which is great, but I’m not sure really what he can actually do, other than as you say make a financial gesture.

That said personally I feel that’s a step too far, it’s a foul and the ref didn’t spot it, unusual yes, disappointing maybe, but it is just a foul and now the game is over we move on (unless World Snooker feel strongly enough it was unsporting or brings the game into disrepute etc).

What is perhaps a bit odd, is given we have someone sitting in front of a screen watching the game specifically to advise the referee, why not amend the rules to allow them to advise on incidents the ref misses?

Comment

He has offered to replay the game (albeit presumably knows World Snooker would never allow that), he could withdraw, but that would just mean Davis gets a bye.

It shows how high everyone regards integrity in snooker that this is such a big deal, which is great, but I’m not sure really what he can actually do, other than as you say make a financial gesture.

That said personally I feel that’s a step too far, it’s a foul and the ref didn’t spot it, unusual yes, disappointing maybe, but it is just a foul and now the game is over we move on (unless World Snooker feel strongly enough it was unsporting or brings the game into disrepute etc).

What is perhaps a bit odd, is given we have someone sitting in front of a screen watching the game specifically to advise the referee, why not amend the rules to allow them to advise on incidents the ref misses?

How long did it take football to get goal-people and the VR - how long would it take snooker? :biggrin:

On a table with a Marker they do have several monitors but as stated before current rules are that no-one can announce a foul other than the players and referee. Others can assist the referee, be it players, marker, spectators but only if requested.
                          As the referee missed the foul no request was forthcoming
                          I am sure the referee community will be reminded that balls in play and in motion are the paramount concern of the referee, taking the rest from a player is not

Comment

I respect your opinion and know in my heart of hearts that you are right Vj, just doesn't sit well with me.

Completely agree the second ref should be allowed to intervene if they see something the other ref did not. They have the ability to rewind and make sure. Would help avoid an unfair advantage.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Assuming he did not see, hear or feel the foul at the time

I think he knew about it BEFORE the post match interview - he was either told or maybe even saw it on the monitors during the match - it was replayed many times

Had he walked into the studio, and immediately talked about it, apologised and said he didn't know at the time - We would believe him !!!

But having sat there, seen it 3 times and offered What?, What?, What? !

As always in life, it is the cover up that is worse than the offence.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tmax View Post
                                Assuming he did not see, hear or feel the foul at the time

I think he knew about it BEFORE the post match interview - he was either told or maybe even saw it on the monitors during the match - it was replayed many times

Had he walked into the studio, and immediately talked about it, apologised and said he didn't know at the time - We would believe him !!!

But having sat there, seen it 3 times and offered What?, What?, What? !

As always in life, it is the cover up that is worse than the offence.
                                Spot on. Was cringing watching that

Comment

Working...
                                X