New Video: Rest Play Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Video: Rest Play Tips

Hi everyone. My latest video is now on my YouTube channel.

Please have a look. Like the video if you find it useful and please subscribe to the channel.

Thanks!

WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post

Please have a look. Like the video if you find it useful and please subscribe to the channel.

Thanks!

Good informative video that! May I know what cue that is? The badge looks different.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
      Good informative video that! May I know what cue that is? The badge looks different.
      It is a B&W cue. Made by a local cue maker by me in England. The cue maker is Dean Jones. He has been making cues for 25+ years. My cue was made to my personal specifications.

Comment

It is a B&W cue. Made by a local cue maker by me in England. The cue maker is Dean Jones. He has been making cues for 25+ years. My cue was made to my personal specifications.
        Dean Jones cues look nice. I saw a few online.
        Last edited by fkhan; 6 December 2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Another great video Steve. I like the way you just get on with it and provide what people want to know - which is how to play the game. Didn't realise the stance was slightly different for using rest, I've always been standing square on or relatively square, but I'll take that tip into account and see if it improves my rest play! Thanks...
          Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
            Another great video Steve. I like the way you just get on with it and provide what people want to know - which is how to play the game. Didn't realise the stance was slightly different for using rest, I've always been standing square on or relatively square, but I'll take that tip into account and see if it improves my rest play! Thanks...
            Thanks Chris!

Comment

Thanks!

Nice video that. Never really thought about my feet that much but certainly interesting and easy to listen to.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

my stance and body position is very different when using a rest than when usual cueing; I thought everyone was the same (except Akani )
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for that, I never thought about how I stand when I use the rest. I'll try that next time I practise. I have to use the rest a lot being 5ft3 haha.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Glad you're all picking up some good tips.

Comment

Some good advice there Steve; I think your feet position suits your right eye sighting, I'm more square on with the rest as I'm a left eye sighter. I never thought about my shoulder position before so as I'm a poor rest player at times I'm going to try to get a little bit more side on and move my head a tad to get my left eye over the cue and see if it's better.
                      I'll post the reults better or worse.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        Some good advice there Steve; I think your feet position suits your right eye sighting, I'm more square on with the rest as I'm a left eye sighter. I never thought about my shoulder position before so as I'm a poor rest player at times I'm going to try to get a little bit more side on and move my head a tad to get my left eye over the cue and see if it's better.
                        I'll post the reults better or worse.
                        Thanks Steve. Let us know how you get on

Comment

Thanks Steve. Let us know how you get on
                          Didn't work mate, felt really unnatural and couldn't sight properly.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I would say that's the biggest thing that holds a lot of players back.

If you make a new change you have to stick to it for 3 months at least and see how you get on. Obviously any change in technique you make (having playing in a totally different way for years), will feel strange.

If a piano teacher told me to put my fingers in a certain position on the piano, I don't think I could expect that after one week I would have nailed it and be playing Mozart.

It's one of the things I'm always really keen to tell people when I coach. I can't tell you how to do something and in 5 minutes you'll be a better player. The pupil will need to take their new information and incorporate that into their game in the future.

Some players are happy with their game and enjoy playing and don't want any further improvement, that's fine. If a player does want to improve their game, then obviously any change you make won't feel 'natural', because that's not what you normally do. But that's also the point, I want you to do something you don't normally do.

Comment

Some players are happy with their game and enjoy playing and don't want any further improvement, that's fine. If a player does want to improve their game, then obviously any change you make won't feel 'natural', because that's not what you normally do. But that's also the point, I want you to do something you don't normally do.
                              What I don't normally do is miss every single pot with the rest by six inches because I can't sight the line, so I went back to my own way where the cue was naturally directly under my left eye and potted seven out of ten, which I'm content with.

Mark Williams said that the sight right technique felt wrong but it worked, but you're telling me that if it feels wrong and doesn't work then to stick with it for three months at least until I see an improvement that might never come.
                              In the meantime I'm putting self 1 totally in charge of my rest play, overiding what comes naturally. I could be a poor rest player at times for a myriad other reasons, I know now that feet position isn't one of them so thank you for that

Comment

Working...
                              X