New Video: Lining Up The Shot & Aiming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    There would never be a time when I didn't go through my Pre-shot-routine. Even though I would recognise that angle well, because I've played a lot of shots around the black spot area, I would still do the Pre-shot-routine.

The difference between a 30 break player and 100+ player, is that the 100+ guy won't ever be lazy. The line will be picked (maybe a bit easier for him or her to see this because of experience), and position for the white, and where to strike the white and at what power will all be decided before the shot.

When I say "don't overcomplicate it", what I mean is: you need to do all these things, but you don't have to be 'slow' or 'over-think' things.

So the short answer to your question is: although I would recognise the angle of shots around the black spot to a high level, I'll still do the Pre-shot-routine each time.
    Steve, i think i might have miss phrased my question. i didn't mean not going through the pre-shot routine of selecting power and where to strike white, positional play...etc. that's something that should be part of the game. what i was eluding to was the imaginary bit of the ghost ball.
    if you know the line of the shot would you (after deciding, power, height , position) just walk straight in.

i would imagine this would speed up the game. i myself am stuck in a rut at the moment, its taking me way too long trying to find the line of aim and how to determine how to send the cueball to make the correct contact. (my imagination is rubbish)
    it's ruined my game completely. i've tried everything but not much working lately
    Last edited by alabadi; 15 October 2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
      Steve, i think i might have miss phrased my question. i didn't mean not going through the pre-shot routine of selecting power and where to strike white, positional play...etc. that's something that should be part of the game. what i was eluding to was the imaginary bit of the ghost ball.
      if you know the line of the shot would you (after deciding, power, height , position) just walk straight in.

i would imagine this would speed up the game. i myself am stuck in a rut at the moment, its taking me way too long trying to find the line of aim and how to determine how to send the cueball to make the correct contact. (my imagination is rubbish)
      it's ruined my game completely. i've tried everything but not much working lately
      Hi Alabadi,

Obviously Ronnie can recognise the angle of shots very easily because he has played for thousands of hours. When he was a young lad, he played hours and hours of snooker, so not recognises angles to a very high level.

I would also say you've played enough snooker to recognise a potting angle to a very good level.

My advice to you would be to set up a black off the spot (let's say put the white high as this is a shot a lot of people don't like). Now, you're going to try potting this ball with no spin on the white. * Mark the position of the white so it can go back in the same place each time.

I would say you can stand behind that shot and see the angle fairly accurately. So don't take too long, get down, do your feathers and check that you're happy and play the shot.

What happens if you do what I'm saying above?
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
        Hi Alabadi,

Obviously Ronnie can recognise the angle of shots very easily because he has played for thousands of hours. When he was a young lad, he played hours and hours of snooker, so not recognises angles to a very high level.

I would also say you've played enough snooker to recognise a potting angle to a very good level.

My advice to you would be to set up a black off the spot (let's say put the white high as this is a shot a lot of people don't like). Now, you're going to try potting this ball with no spin on the white. * Mark the position of the white so it can go back in the same place each time.

I would say you can stand behind that shot and see the angle fairly accurately. So don't take too long, get down, do your feathers and check that you're happy and play the shot.

What happens if you do what I'm saying above?
        Hi Steve

ive set the shot you've suggested hundreds of times. i've sometimes spend at least 2-3 hours a week playing these shots from different positions.
        obviously i can pot these shots , sometimes i might pot the first one and sometimes it will take me 2-3 shots until i get it.

the issue i have for what ever reason the method im using for selecting the line of aim isn't consistent enough. in practice we can all set up a pot and with trial and error eventually pot it, however in a game we don't get that luxury , we need to pot it first time.

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          Hi Steve

ive set the shot you've suggested hundreds of times. i've sometimes spend at least 2-3 hours a week playing these shots from different positions.
          obviously i can pot these shots , sometimes i might pot the first one and sometimes it will take me 2-3 shots until i get it.

the issue i have for what ever reason the method im using for selecting the line of aim isn't consistent enough. in practice we can all set up a pot and with trial and error eventually pot it, however in a game we don't get that luxury , we need to pot it first time.
          It's very difficult without having a discussion with you about it, seeing you play some of these shots, exactly how you play them etc.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X