Another 'Foul' question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'Foul' question

Yesterday I was involved in a doubles game and at one point an opponent potted a Red followed by the Blue, I picked the Blue out of the pocket and was about to place it on its spot, in fact it was touching the spot with my fingers still gripping the ball when the white comes whizzing at my fingers, I reacted immediately by pulling away and dropped the Blue well away from its spot and commented that I thought that the opponent had committed a foul by playing his shot before the Blue had been replaced. The opponent said that I had committed the foul by moving the Blue, the other three of us disagreed. Who is right here and, if it was a foul, what is the penalty?

I would say you are correct, ie the blue hadn't finished being respotted so he committed foul by playing too early, and I would go with just 4 point foul?

Comment

Correct the player played their shot before the colour was spotted correctly and the stroke completed.

Penalty - Value of ball on or ball concerned, whichever is higher, - so Five in this scenario. [Rule 3.10(b)(ii) striking before the referee has completed the spotting of a colour that is not a free ball;]
      also
      The points for potting the Blue are not scored, as a foul was committed before the shot was complete.
      [Rule 3.3(g)(iv) In the event that the striker, in a break, plays before the referee has completed spotting a colour while all other balls are at rest, the value of the colour shall not be scored and Section 3 Rule 10(a)(i) or Section 3 Rule 10(b)(ii) shall apply as appropriate.]
      Last edited by DeanH; 20 October 2018, 09:27 AM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

He should have waited. Normally on the telly the ref calls out the score, eg 6, after spotting the ball and the player plays his shot after that. Sometimes with Ronnie playing the ref has trouble keeping up lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Correct the player played their shot before the colour was spotted correctly and the stroke completed.

Penalty - Value of ball on - so Five in this scenario. [Rule 3.10(a)(i)]
          also
          The points for potting the Blue are not scored, as a foul was committed before the shot was complete.
          [Rule 3.3(g)(iv) In the event that the striker, in a break, plays before the referee has completed spotting a colour while all other balls are at rest, the value of the colour shall not be scored and Section 3 Rule 10(a)(i) or Section 3 Rule 10(b)(ii) shall apply as appropriate.]
          DeanH he was going for a red so isn't the "ball on" a red so hence 4 point foul?
          Last edited by DeanH; 20 October 2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            DeanH he was going for a red so isn't the "ball on" a red so hence 4 point foul?
            I have editted, as I was doing a quick check

Ball on or ball concerned, higher value - 5 for blue (ball concerned )
            apologies for the delay

ps - being pedantic, you could say that Blue was ball on as the stroke was not complete :wink:
            Last edited by DeanH; 20 October 2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
              He should have waited. Normally on the telly the ref calls out the score, eg 6, after spotting the ball and the player plays his shot after that. Sometimes with Ronnie playing the ref has trouble keeping up lol.
              yep the rules state that until the referee has called the score the stroke is not complete; all ball at rest, balls spotted, and referee is moving out the way, etc.

Yep - Małgorzata Kanieska was running a marathon the other day with Ronnie's rate of shots
              Last edited by DeanH; 20 October 2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X