Using screw spin affects potting angle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I suspect this is caused by getting unintentional side on a more powerful shot. It may not be a lot but it will effect the path of the CB a little bit. I too use drag and haven't noticed myself aiming thicker or thinner at all and I use drag over an 11ft shot sometimes.
    It's not drag after 11ft

Comment

now i have more excuses for missing easy shots. i love this place

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
        It's not drag after 11ft
        Is that because the cue ball is airborne?
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

It's not drag after 11ft
          He said he uses drag on a shot of that distance. Not that is drags over 11 ft

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
            He said he uses drag on a shot of that distance. Not that is drags over 11 ft
            Then the drag would have no effect on the object ball.

Comment

Then the drag would have no effect on the object ball.
              You know Terry meant that he used drag to negate any impact the table\cloth would have on the CB.....

Comment

It's not drag after 11ft
                Then tell me what kind of 11ft shot you hit with tons of bottom and have the cueball stop spinning backwards about 1-2ft before the object ball. I have always thought, been told and read that this is a classic 'drag shot'. I normaly use it most frequestly when there's a red over one of the top pockets, cueball in baulk and trying to stay on the black. It works for me.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

On most club tables with the shot I describe above ^^ if you hit the cueball with no power at all to attempt to pot the ball and if it's over the hole you will but the cueball will likely roll to one side or the other so you end up hitting the red too thick and have a tough cut-back black or too thin and end up between pink and blue with nothing really on.

Using drag on this shot allows a player to hit the cueball the way he intends to as the effects of roll-off are negated. I have no ideas on why the OP feels he has to aim a screw shot differently as I've never noticed that nor taken it into account and frankly don't believe it happens.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

I guess my original question can be added to by saying that the heavy backspin on the cue ball is somehow imparting opposite (top) spin to the object ball causing it to move off line.
                    I’m sure that debate will rage! Lol
                    That being said, the major issue I’m sure is poor cueing. I’m just not that good.
                    Seems to be a consistent miss though.?

Comment

Terry are you in Canada?

Comment

Its due to the fact that the bottom and top of the cueballs diameter is smaller across meaning there is also less surface area to strike at. This makes aiming at the centre of the cue ball much more difficult to judge so unintentional side is probably causing you to miss thin.

Comment

Originally Posted by Molsonmuscle View Post
                          Terry are you in Canada?
                          That is the Canadian flag on my posts although I lived and played in Britain for about 4 years back in the 80's
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            That is the Canadian flag on my posts although I lived and played in Britain for about 4 years back in the 80's
                            but on the phone app the information seen on PC version is not displayed
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Imagine the balls are gear wheels and you’ll have your answer. Top pushes a cut shot FRACTIONALLY thicker, bottom pushes a cut shot FRACTIONALLY thinner. The heavier/dirtier/more humid the conditions, the more it is noticeable. I’m sure I’ll get pilloried for daring to cite engineering principles but the effect is there however small. On tv it’s barely discernible due to the cloths, lights and lack of moisture in the air with maybe the exception of some Asian events.

I’ll await certain people calling BS but it’s already been proven with controlling the intermediate balls of plants (not touching). Top and bottom can be used on cue ball to affect the behaviour of the ball the cue ball impacts after it hits the final ball. Bottom on cueball creates top on intermediate ball and vice versa.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                but on the phone app the information seen on PC version is not displayed
                                Weirdly enough, I get the flag bit on Google Chrome but don't get it on Explorer. I don't remember what I had when I used my iPad or Smartphone. But to answer molsonmuscle's question, yes I am in Canada and live in Alma, Ontario. I figure with that handle you must be Canadian too.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X