Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bce westbury circa 1987

Hi Guys,

I am new here (from the USA)- but I wanted to ask a few (newbie) questions.

I got VERY lucky and found a steal of a deal on a BCE Westbury that has been disassembled and stored for 5 years.

every thing appears to be here including the cloth.

Can I re-use this cloth?

I saw a youtube video of a guy flipping his cloth over and using the other side, Is this something I can do?

I am going to try setting this up myself, so if anyone had a detailed video or any tips/ instructions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Dirk

bce westbury circa 1987

welcome to TSF
    whereabouts are you in USA?

met a lovely couple at the Welsh Open in February from Colorado, pointed them to a possible club where they can play snooker, as they said "only 2 hours drive away over the border"
    not sure about turning a cloth over, from what I have seen is the underside can be very dusty.
    hopefully the tables on here will pop on with advice for you.

let us know how it goes and post some pictures as well, we love pictures of tables and cues
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

bce westbury circa 1987

back in the day BCE did a deal with a retailer in the US and sent over many tables, so quite common to find them
      the Westbury is a nice table - congratulations
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If you reversed cloth, then nap would be underneath.
        Highest break to date? 1

Comment

There's a nap on both sides of a snooker cloth. Back in the day many clubs would reverse their cloths to get more use out of them but that meant that the worn nap now on the underside made the playing surface uneven and a nightmare to play on.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
            There's a nap on both sides of a snooker cloth. Back in the day many clubs would reverse their cloths to get more use out of them but that meant that the worn nap now on the underside made the playing surface uneven and a nightmare to play on.
            Didn't know that Max, so is there a dominant side, or can both be used initially?
            Highest break to date? 1

Comment

There is no nap on the reverse side of the cloth only one side is processed for nap

you can feel nap direction from baulk to spot end , try it on the reverse and you cannot feel any nap .

nap is put on by either thistle heads called Teasels or fake teasels which is wire brushed .

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/06...e57c616e56.jpg

Teasels are lined up on a rotating spinning drum and put against the cloth which is drawn past the spinning drum of teasels , creating a long nap on the wool cloth

it is then cut to length for the weight of the cloth match cloth is probably cut twice to make nap very short and make the cloth fast with a short nap and less life

long nap - more lifespan .
              [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                There is no nap on the reverse side of the cloth only one side is processed for nap

you can feel nap direction from baulk to spot end , try it on the reverse and you cannot feel any nap .

nap is put on by either thistle heads called Teasels or fake teasels which is wire brushed .

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ef/06...e57c616e56.jpg

Teasels are lined up on a rotating spinning drum and put against the cloth which is drawn past the spinning drum of teasels , creating a long nap on the wool cloth

it is then cut to length for the weight of the cloth match cloth is probably cut twice to make nap very short and make the cloth fast with a short nap and less life

long nap - more lifespan .
                Geoff, when you say CUT, do you mean like it's scraped?
                Highest break to date? 1

Comment

ok, I am finally starting to get this table setup - along with this table he packed the baize that he took off of it - it looks good - it is 6811 - Can I re-use this ? or must I purchase new? If I can re-use it, then do you have any tips on installing it? THANKS !!

Comment

Reuse it by all means if it is good.
                    王可

Comment

Got the slate on the table ( yes, I am still alive) - lol- makes me appreciate the guys who do this for a living !

Anyway - The old Baize which was folded and packed for 5 YEARS, is badly creased - Is it ok to Iron this before I try to stretch it on the table?

Any other bits of wisdom before I try this? #worries #excited

Comment

Iron it after , if it is badly creased you may give it a spray with starch but make sure it is silicon free starch .
                        [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
                        X