Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RND on MOSO Bamboo Laminated to Make as a Snooker Shaft.. What do you guys think??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RND on MOSO Bamboo Laminated to Make as a Snooker Shaft.. What do you guys think??

Hi All,

Just to inform all of you currently im made RND on MOSO Bamboo laminated wood and decide to make a snooker cue with that material to be as a snooker shaft.. i belive no one ever try this material before..
    so here are the update regarding itsproses ,

Im dop my email to WOODS cues and they agreed with the RND, one of the reason they have agreed because MOSO Bamboo are made in China, so mr Kent has ordered it wood material, i paid to them around usd225 then Kent start to begin this rnd..
    09c87a10f796d4a37647d77148937ce0.jpg13480246_1196282720416035_1842544840_n.jpg13510459_1196282403749400_2040290134_n.jpg13521690_1196282490416058_1499628976_n.jpg13522565_1196282533749387_730629178_n.jpg

i will keep update on next status more when wood replied..

regards;
    fairuz

So after 4week.. waiting finally Kent have update the cue making proses..
    please view picture attach.. looking good eh..
    13608072_1205610862816554_1485425613_n.jpg13625230_1205610952816545_1611507395_n.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by Fairuz View Post
      Hi All,

Just to inform all of you currently im made RND on MOSO Bamboo laminated wood and decide to make a snooker cue with that material to be as a snooker shaft.. i belive no one ever try this material before..

regards;
      fairuz
      The lower cue here is Bamboo.

Comment

Rodney Hinde, had a few very old Bamboo cues in his collection...

Comment

Bamboo just on it splice yes!!.. but im never seen any cue maker who trying to make it for its playing shaft..

most people say it impossible, and shaft will feel teribble, as in past they only have data cue shaft made using either ash or maple wood..

Comment

I may have missed something here but exactly what does "RND" "MOSO" stand for?
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

MOSO is a type of bamboo only can get in asian country, this bamboo are usually in larger size, these modern days asian country already invent a way to produce this hollow bamboo, laminated and press it to make as an alternative to a wood plank which this product came on 3 categories with 3 differend janka hardness rating.. for horizontal laminated process it janka hardness rating are around 1630, for strand wooven cold press laminated its janke harness rating are around 1895, and finally for strand wooven carbonized laminated janka hardness rating are around 2300,to compare with ash wood which AAA grade shaft its hardness rating usually only around 1380 and for maple with AAA grade shaft usually around 1460,
              how ever due ash and maple are growth much younger these days to get a very consistence hardness rating are very expensive investment for cue maker, but for bamboo this is possibe due of cheap product and those rating are more consistence due of human made proses, if you compare it with american pool cue maker, ususally they will slice those maple timber and perform their low deflections shaft, which make reason these days why a piece of good quality pool cue you actually can buy a damn car., As for bamboo MOSO we did not require any as all of bamboo product are actually done their laminated process by supplier and its very much easy for cue maker to buy it straight away and then turn it down to make very consistence cue shaft.

RND= this is actually a Reaserch and Devellopment to see how this shaft will react when play with snooker game..

anyways here are the update of the completed cue.. made by WOODS13584702_1207839235927050_6143449760967658072_o.jpg13600347_1207839125927061_642947314470223843_n.jpg13615222_1207839119260395_8790529791190658766_n.jpg

Comment

you may see this link in facebook

https://www.facebook.com/WoodsCues/

the cue made by them was excellence made tailor to my spec

56.5" length, 18" ballance point from but end, 9.25mm tip size, 18oz cue weight, and 28.3 butt diameter.. the cue was taper with milk bottle shape or somewhat i call straight taper, and medium whippy.

the test result with cue ball deflections almost similar to acuerate cue low deflections result, only this one is much more better due cue power it create tbh from my opinions.. after iv have change it into much harder cue tip.
                cue feel was very very amaizing, very lively and responsive and im not struggling with any type of shot i want at all.
                the only things i was curious was why in world this cue shaft make so much strong crisp noise, how ever after a while im already getting use to it.

i would rate this cue shaft this way

low deflections opon playing with side : 5 star (as for my cue spec) unbeliveble woods cue make never tried this cue before. salute!!!
                shaft power : 5 star ( ill bet you won get any better power to compare with ash or maple ) even i having trouble to control it speed for first time..
                feel upon shot : 5 star, medium hard vibrations feel some what i should called mild soft...
                smooth glide at hand : 3 star, bamboo have this benefit to stay smooth for long time, i have light sanded this cue with steel wool just to lightly remove those lacuerer that my cue maker has put on.. then replace it with cue cream..
                shaft vibrations or flex, : 2 star look very whippy, but i have been tested over few snooker table with different speed of clotch, i did not find any trouble at all, the whippy doesnt even disturb my game.. some what i feel glad because of it because all of my shot became much easier..

i can put compliment on all of this yet so much, i will need to see for few days after playing with hard power stun shot for few days, as from my experiance when using maple and ash, after hard abusing cue with power, then later for few days, cue will lost it strength and then later become powerless.. i just had this cue only for 2 days, i will make comment about that later after a week of experiment..

for others, if you curious about this shaft, just go to woods webpage then ask mr kent to make one for you.. im sure you will swearing for good.. this is not a joke as im already experiance having over 43 snooker cues from many differend cue make, and i know really about quality..

Comment

Here some informations for cue maker to try..

Carbonized.jpgCut trough bamboo.jpgStrand Wooven.jpg

those 3 type of bamboo material you could imagine how your cue shaft should look like..
                  bamboo have a very flat grain naturally, and because of that, this constructions similar to low deflections pool cue like those american are doing for theircue proses, slim layer cut those maple wood then later gluing it, and then turn it on machine.. because of wood stress had been release and it create some what positive evergy impact.. see dr dave explainations on billiard.edu ( im not pro on this im only mechanical engineer who like to play snooker professionally .. that it.)

cheers

Comment

The first laminated bamboo shafts were made in the 1850s they were tried on and off over the next 100 years as playing cues. They also made them the same way as they made a fishing rod with little triangle bits laminated together. It has also been tried in the last 20 years. So this is nothing new. It is very rare that something hasn't been tried in the past the old cue makers were always trying new things.

Comment

Interesting, looks good. Could be a big market here, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, or how it actually plays. I'd imagine the shaft must be very light. What ferrule has been used? I would think a traditional brass ferrule would ruin some of the LD properties?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        Interesting, looks good. Could be a big market here, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, or how it actually plays. I'd imagine the shaft must be very light. What ferrule has been used? I would think a traditional brass ferrule would ruin some of the LD properties?
                        Light? Not with all that glue! Sounds interesting, though it's not a wood strictly speaking. Makes great material for floors, furniture and worktops.

@Fairuz; would you be able to do a video of the cue in action please? I'd be really interested to see and hear how it plays.

I'm a bit concerned by medium whippy. I can guess that the whippyness of the shaft helps the cue yield on contact and bend, providing more power. Did it take you long to get used to this?
                        Last edited by Big Splash!; 20 July 2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X