Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burroughes & watts cue real or fake how much do these go for thanks

$_86 (1).JPG$_86.JPG

Well it's certainly not a cue from the original company, those badges should look like pic below.
    This obviously is one from the newer company using the same name, as for value i have no idea

Comment

I think it is real, just a newer version by the same company. My guess.... must be a rare cue if nobody as seen it in the UK. Cheers
      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
        I think it is real, just a newer version by the same company. My guess.... must be a rare cue if nobody as seen it in the UK. Cheers
        It's a real piece of wood if that's what you mean?
        Forget what the badge says. It's not a burroughes and watts cue, as John has already answered, it was made by someone who used/uses name.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Old cue collector --
        Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
        (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

That cue was made in the midlands by a company owned by Malcom Jones who did actiually buy the original company Burroughes & Watts. He still trades from hois home and has a cuemaker working for him that originally worked for cuecraft. Hope that clears it up

Comment

Not to be confused with B & W Cues Ltd (now liquidated) or BWL

Comment

Originally Posted by Cuedos View Post
              That cue was made in the midlands by a company owned by Malcom Jones who did actually buy the original company Burroughes & Watts. He still trades from his home and has a cuemaker working for him that originally worked for cuecraft. Hope that clears it up

What time period would this ownership and the cue be?
              When did the current owners of the name (www.burroughesandwatts.com) take over?
              What does Malcolm Jones trade cues as now?
              EDIT - oops, sorry I see that Malcom Jones is the owner of burroughesandwatts.com
              what time would the cue in the OP have been made, early after he took control?

Not to be confused with B & W Cues Ltd (now liquidated) or BWL
              do you mean B&W Billiards (bandwbilliards.co.uk)?
              yes it has been mentioned that they had recently changed location and are now closed (as of 15Jun16).
              Last edited by DeanH; 23 July 2016, 02:56 PM.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Sorry yes I meant B & W Billiards - closed last month after moving only last August to a larger premises. There were 4 different companies trading within 2 miiles of each other. I know all of the sales,,owners & cuemakers and could write a book about it ....lol. They all junped on the 80's heyday bandwagon

Comment

Please Note that the original Burroughs and watts firm was bought out by Riley in 1966/67 ? they became Riley Burwat for very few years then they dropped the Burwat and went back to just plain Riley

Burroughs and watts has not existed since 1966/67 , any firm using the name Burroughs and watts are just using the name , they have nothing to do with the original firm even though on one web site they use the history to full effect making some think it is still the same firm

I often get asked about Burroughs and watts tables and cues , some say they have been in touch with Burroughs and watts and got a lot of information from their records

The original Burroughs and watts kept their records at Soho Square in London , that building got bombed and flattened by the Luftwaffe in the war years of WW2, all records where burned and destroyed nothing survived .

the only records that would be available would be from the 1950s after world war two had ended to 1966 / 67 , but I have been told that Riley also burned all these records too !

so apart from books and sales booklets that have Burroughs and watts illustrations in there are no other Genuine Burroughs and watts logged archive records of tables or cues and models lying around for reference by the firm using the Burroughs and watts name . Especially serial numbers and years of manufacture and how many where produced . no logs of these now exist due to the bombing and fire and destroying of the last 15 years of business as B& Watts by Riley .

Personally I think it it is a bit misleading using an old name like this , and what for ?

to gain a foothold in the billiards and snooker market . and the cue making market .

I think you will find the latest B&Watts firm , registered the firm legally in 1995 as table and cue works . so it is a very recent firm but with a gap of 28 years since the original firm was closed down .

What you should do when discussing old Burroughs and watts cues is use 1st edition ltd company or original Firm of Burroughs and watts as a reference or just circa 1836 to 1967
                  that way people will not get confused with all these firms using that name .

You can read most of this information on Clares / Thurston web site

http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/com...roughes-watts/

This research mainly the work of Peter Ainsworth a billiards Historian

these modern firms popped up in the 1980s/90s using B&watts name and should really be known as copying or duplicate cues not original or have links to original firm as they do not .
                  Last edited by Geoff Large; 26 July 2016, 03:22 PM.
                  [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Great info as always Geoff.

Comment

That cue was made in the midlands by a company owned by Malcom Jones who did actiually buy the original company Burroughes & Watts. He still trades from hois home and has a cuemaker working for him that originally worked for cuecraft. Hope that clears it up
                      Hi mate, seems you know about the current owner Malcom, would you please give more info about this? Really thinking about to ask him to make a cue. Do you mean that the cue maker who originally work for the old B&W subsequently works for him?
                      Appreciations! Cheers.
                      The best Ronnie

Comment

He said the man used to work for "Cuecraft"
                        ( not Burroughes & Watts )

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          He said the man used to work for "Cuecraft"
                          ( not Burroughes & Watts )
                          Oh, got it. Thank you!!
                          The best Ronnie

Comment

I just picked up a vintage Burroughs and Watts cue in a steel case from an auction. The cue is marked presentation and came with a photo of a snooker player in action smoking a cigar. Has anyone come across a Burroughs and Watts presentation cue. ( I plan to use it). Would be great to find out who’s in the photo. The name on the cue case is A Mitchell although this could be a later user. It’s in mint condition and is a very tactile object.

Comment

Originally Posted by swatts View Post
                              I just picked up a vintage Burroughs and Watts cue in a steel case from an auction. The cue is marked presentation and came with a photo of a snooker player in action smoking a cigar. Has anyone come across a Burroughs and Watts presentation cue. ( I plan to use it). Would be great to find out who’s in the photo. The name on the cue case is A Mitchell although this could be a later user. It’s in mint condition and is a very tactile object.
                              we all love photos of cues
                              use the following to add images

and maybe we can answer your questions

How to add images to your TSF posts
                              You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering (you can register for free), to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly. There are other image sharing sites as well.
                              ImgBB.com
                              Click on "Start Uploading"
                              Browse to the file and select it, click Open
                              Auto delete image - leave as "Don't autodelete".
                              Click "Upload".
                              Change "Embed Codes" to "BBCode full linked".
                              Hover over the code in the box, a "COPY" will appear, click this.
                              Go to your TSF post and paste.
                              You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X