Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow player problem

Hi All,

I am a studious player who has picked up the game later in life but would still like to achieve my potential even at a competitive level. I have studied the books from cover to cover and I have built up a very orthodox technique, so much so that many player accuse me of being slow. Over the years I have received a lot of negative criticism for this 'slow' style (mainly from the faster players it has to be said) and this seems to be etched into me and now has a very negative psychological impact on the way I play, causing me to rush and missing relatively easy shots as a result.
    I'll admit that a lot of players would claim very impressive breaks in practice but struggle in a match, perhaps also due to the psychological stresses. I feel much more comfortable playing a slow/methodical player as I feel as if I don't need to speed up my game, if not for my opponent but for the spectators watching the game and judging me as a time waster.

The truth is that no matter what situation, match play or solo practice, I try to keep the same rhythm of play throughout. I do not believe my time between shots is slow - its more the execution ie slow smooth feathering of the white ball and keeping still, in an almost exaggerated way even after the object ball has been struck - which ruffles and seems to get other players and spectators fidgety.

I know I should just try to block this out from my mind and I have tried to do this on many occasions in matches but only for a relatively short period of the match. I seem to speed up gradually from the moment I start a break and then end of rushing a simple shot missing it. This is something I rarely, if ever, do in solo where I can often go on and score heavily.

I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't personally enjoy watching myself play and would prefer to watch a more flowing player mop up but if I try to play like this I'll just end up missing and think to myself that I could have taken more care over the shot.

I guess I have two options: To either work on battling these negative thoughts or to try to somehow speed up my game.

I must admit that my highest break in a match was 64 and if I remember I was playing quicker than I usually do. Perhaps this slow/methodical way is stifling any natural talent I may possess.

If you have any light to shed on this I will be very grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

You didn't say what your average frame time was? No point in rushing round the table, missing everything so the other gets to play at his rhythm and win all the time.

I used to be pretty slow in matches to pile a bit of pressure on the quick players but we've all got our own rhythm which we play better in.

This summer I've been running round the table in practice and potting well and my safety's suffered! Somewhere in the middle for me is the right game and that's for me, no-one else!

I used to play golf with a guy that was rushing everyone all the time to play to his speed until I advised him to find someone else that wanted to finish a round in two and a half hours.

Selby took an hour over a few frames in the world's but that's what he needed to win the frames, wasn't fun to watch but he could have played quicker and lost to please the crowd?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

What breaks are you knocking in against opponents in practice mate?
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
        You didn't say what your average frame time was? No point in rushing round the table, missing everything so the other gets to play at his rhythm and win all the time.

I used to be pretty slow in matches to pile a bit of pressure on the quick players but we've all got our own rhythm which we play better in.

This summer I've been running round the table in practice and potting well and my safety's suffered! Somewhere in the middle for me is the right game and that's for me, no-one else!

I used to play golf with a guy that was rushing everyone all the time to play to his speed until I advised him to find someone else that wanted to finish a round in two and a half hours.

Selby took an hour over a few frames in the world's but that's what he needed to win the frames, wasn't fun to watch but he could have played quicker and lost to please the crowd?
        Think he may be difffrent to you as you say played slower to pressure quicker players so in your case a tactic sounds likeother gent just naturally slow, think depends on what you enjoy, aslong as not having 4 comfort breaks a frame then you play what suits you, but unfortunately that may upset opponent as long as not intentional try not to feel guilty and enjoy and I think most do quicken up when they are potting well and confidence increases
        Craftsman custom made cue
        57 inches
        17 ounces
        9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
        ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

I've tried playing slow and fast and ultimately ended somewhere in between. Slow methodical feathers aren't that big a deal, but it depends on how many feathers you are doing. I've seen players take 5-10 feathers per shot and honestly I feel like it does more harm than good in the long run. It's draining to spend so much time on one shot. Generally I think sticking with 2 to 3 feathers per shot is plenty, and if you don't feel right afterwards stand up and reset.

When I tried playing slower, long runs felt so much more draining and difficult. Playing quickly, runs were effortless but I felt barely in control. So I've settled on just getting on with it if the shot selection seems obvious to me, and taking an extra moment if there is any doubt.

Comment

When you're at the table your opponents thoughts and opinions should be the furthest thing away from your mind. If he doesn't like the way you play he shouldn't have missed and let you on the table, it's his problem, not yours.

Comment

We have one guy in our club who takes 20+ feathers every single time and thinks long and hard between shots. Takes frequent smoke and toilet breaks too. One time after he lost he said something very funny, and I quote: "I was going for too much and I was rushing shots !".
              A lot of guys who take many feathers change their line of aim while down on the shot many times. That I think is inevitable and can't be good.
              There are very very few slow players in the world who play very well. I'd stay away from that.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                There are very very few slow players in the world who play very well. I'd stay away from that.
                Ebdon, Selby, Robertson seem to have done ok for themselves :wink-new:
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

PLAY YOUR OWN GAME!
                  It's up to your opponent to beat you no matter your speed of play...
                  Only a referee can ask for you to speed you game.
                  "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019
                  http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    I meant slow players who take many many feathers when down on a shot, like 10 or 15 or are too mechanical and/or methodical. Robertson and Selby do not feather a lot and generally once they are down on a shot they get on with it. Both are able to clean the table very quickly.
                    To me, there's a difference between a true slow player, a guy who can't play normal pace at all and a player who deliberately slows the pace down sometimes, i.e. utilizes a bit of gamesmanship.
                    Topic starter clearly doesn't use gamesmanship.

Comment

Those are just dirty tactics in a match. If you think Ebdon, Selby and Robbo play that slow practice, well, what can I say?!

They'd have to do 8hrs a day at match pace in practice. You can see their true pace behind the commentators in the practice room at matches.

It's about time Refs stepped up and warned players. Making an audience stay till midnight with no chance of sleep until 2am or making league nights into turgid everlasting affairs ruins snooker, turns people off and I know for a fact, has led to many to hang up their cue cases forever. There's many a talented pool player who won't take up snooker because they believe it is boring. And there are people who play that way to seek unfair advantage. Some may appreciate grinding; what they don't appreciate is that grinding kills the game generally and if they really loved the game, they'd change for the sake of the game, not maintain grinding for their own ends. Right, I'm getting off my high horse now.
                      Last edited by Big Splash!; 25 July 2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

i don't think Robertson and Selby give a hoot about the speed of their play as long as they win. it's up to the other players to stop them if they are good enough.

i bet most wouldn't mind playing like them if they could have the success they have had in the game, after all this is their livelihood, they are not doing it to please everyone.

Comment

Come down to player psychology. Play the table rather than the player because at the end of the day, your up against the balls not the player.
                          With boring slow players, you can outplay them and when they do come to the table, leave them in trouble so they really do have something to think about!! That will increase your confidence.

Comment

It's arguable whether Ebdon is actually slow, or just a tactical mastermind at times...

Comment

Originally Posted by bolty View Post
                              It's arguable whether Ebdon is actually slow, or just a tactical mastermind at times...
                              I don't really find any of the players mentioned to be particularly slow. They can take their time in the safety exchanges or early in a break, but generally speaking most pro snooker players seem to get on with it when the balls are open, 10-20 seconds per shot. Compare that to a lot of pool players that take 30-40 seconds per shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X