• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Willie Cook & Orme & Sons cues on ebay

In case anyone's interested in them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Will...s/323395336305

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-edi...E/323394503317

Nice collectable cues, sure someone will take them in a heart beat....but £19 postage! That the going rate nowadays?!
    H.b.142

Comment

It's to cover postage and packaging, but £19 is usually slightly less than the total I end up paying.

I've had trouble with parcelforce 48 before, and cannot leave work to get to a post office during the day.

I use 2 x b&Q tubes , with one empty, to provide a bit more strength.

I buy plastic end caps instead of just taping a bit of card over the ends.

Use TNT uk express 24 because I can book it on the Monday morning, and they uplift from my work in the afternoon.

Insuring the cue also adds to the cost, depending on the final price,
      but if it comes to over £19 for all that ( and it can go to £28 to send a £300 cue on occasion ),
      I just cover the extra myself.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        It's to cover postage and packaging, but £19 is usually slightly less than the total I end up paying.

I've had trouble with parcelforce 48 before, and cannot leave work to get to a post office during the day.

I use 2 x b&Q tubes , with one empty, to provide a bit more strength.

I buy plastic end caps instead of just taping a bit of card over the ends.

Use TNT uk express 24 because I can book it on the Monday morning, and they uplift from my work in the afternoon.

Insuring the cue also adds to the cost, depending on the final price,
        but if it comes to over £19 for all that ( and it can go to £28 to send a £300 cue on occasion ),
        I just cover the extra myself.
        I don't know what B&Q charge for tubes, but I recently found this company who make heavy duty industrial cores in Beverly, Yorks. They have a 37mm bore and 5mm thick cardboard wall., compete with plastic end-caps, normally just over 2m in length they cut them to 1.5m at my request. They charged me a total of £12+VAT for six tubes, so just over £2 each.

https://www.jptcores.com/

Comment

I use parcelforc but still regular lose money on pastage @ £15 yet people always complain or mark down on P&P costs.
          I can’t get the cheap 40mm wickes tubes anymore so it’s ~£4 alone in the tube for me. Anything > £100 and insurance soon adds up too.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Old cue collector --
          Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
          (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
            I don't know what B&Q charge for tubes, but I recently found this company who make heavy duty industrial cores in Beverly, Yorks. They have a 37mm bore and 5mm thick cardboard wall., compete with plastic end-caps, normally just over 2m in length they cut them to 1.5m at my request. They charged me a total of £12+VAT for six tubes, so just over £2 each.

B&Q are £2.94 inc vat, for a 3m length of 40mm waste plastic pipe. I cut in half and tape them together for strength.

End caps are about £3.20 for 10 ( more = cheaper, but I don't sell that many cues ).

With my low throughput, it's more convenient to pop round to B&Q for a tube when I need it.

Received a cue recently that just had single ply cardboard folded round it then taped.

I think it's lucky it got here in one piece.

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
              Nice collectable cues, sure someone will take them in a heart beat....but £19 postage! That the going rate nowadays?!
              Also don't forget you have to deduct !0% ebay fees and 3.4% (+20p) paypal fees from that !!
              So the buyer pays £19 but the seller only gets £16.25 of that, so as you can see the postage should be nearer £25 really

Comment

Do you think these are stronger than the 40mm plastic tube? Gut feeling is that cardboard isn't very robust.

Comment

It’s a 5mm thick wall on a small bore tube. The company says they are rated to withstand 2000lb, which I reckon is more than a Royal Mail postie. Anyway, I got six and am about to send out three of them this weekend, so I’ll let you know if there are any problems

Comment

It’s a 5mm thick wall on a small bore tube. The company says they are rated to withstand 2000lb, which I reckon is more than a Royal Mail postie. Anyway, I got six and am about to send out three of them this weekend, so I’ll let you know if there are any problems
                    is that for the gamage holt & sykes ?

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                      is that for the gamage holt & sykes ?
                      Yep. Assuming they all sell of course.

Comment

Yep. Assuming they all sell of course.
                        The sykes is listed under "sporting goods > trophies", instead of the other two being under "cues".

Just in case you hadn't noticed ? Thought you had listed it after the Trophies you had listed and forgot to change it.

Comment

Damn! I hadn’t noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Damn! I hadn’t noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
                            Niche audience viewing it. I'll swap for Margaret Lennan newspaper cutting .

Comment

I wondered why there was comparatively little interest in it! It’s a really rare example of a Sykes cue. I’ve changed it now, but my link is still showing it under trophies, so not sure it has worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X