Do I need a Shorter Cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a Shorter Cue?

I play with a 58 inch cue. I have been told by a few people that my bridge hand to cue ball is too long (14 - 15 inches from 'V' in bridge hand to cue ball). I am quite short at 5 foot 6 so would a shorter cue be better for me? Say a 57 inch or even 56 inch cue? This in theory should shorten my bridge. Or do I simply hold my existing 58 inch cue (which I like) further down the butt so in theory shortening my bridge hand to cue ball to the supposedly recommended 10 to 12 inches from bridge hand to cue ball?

Do the balls go into the pocket on a consistent basis?
    If yes - Don't listen to anyone and carry on as normal.
    If no - Your cue should be well balanced and if it is; then change your bridge distance not the cue.... :snooker:
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Lone Wolf - Sometimes they go in consistently, other times not. I am a 30 - 40 break maker with a HB of 77 but I feel there is something stopping me being more consistent. As you say though maybe it is better to shorten my bridge hand to cue ball rather than changing cues.

Comment

Do I need a Shorter Cue?

find a rack cue or a friend with a shorter cue and give it a session try to see if a shorter cue suits
        Don't hack at your cue before you have considered other options
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Dean, yes I will try what you suggested and try a shorter cue from the rack. But I was wondering from a technical viewpoint whether a shorter cue would be better for me as it might automatically shorten my bridge hand to cue call?

Comment

Do I need a Shorter Cue?

I would say yes a shorter cue will help reduce the bridge length
            Finding one that fits and compliments your play is the tricky bit :wink:
            Last edited by DeanH; 17 September 2017, 08:27 PM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Personally I'd move my grip further up and bridge hand closer to CB.
              should you go for a shorter cue you will lose that additional inch when reaching for certain shots...
              See it as an advantage rather than disadvantage- Try and utilise that additional length to your benefit.
              ---
              Or perhaps you just want a new cue nothing wrong with that. A new cue can be good for the soul... :snooker:
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
              X