X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about when you get down on the shot

Hey everyone,

Hope this makes sense.

When you're getting down on the shot and approaching the cue ball with your cue are you looking at the object or cue ball when you do your first feather?

I look at the cue ball and was wondering if that is correct or not or which method is better overall?

Thanks in advance.

This will be mostly personal preference. For me, I'll be looking at the cue ball for my first feather since I'll have just set the tip to where I want to strike the ball. But then you will have a player like Shaun Murphy who starts feathering before he is settled into his stance.

Comment

You look at cue ball, object ball and pocket as long until everything feels and looks right. Then observe carefully the backswing, pause and shoot.

Comment

Eye rhythm is very important and most players have their own sense of it. By the book (which doesn't work for everyone) you keep your eyes on the object ball while dropping the head straight down into the address position. Once in the address position then the eye should go between the OB and CB as you feather. An anal-retentive purist would say eyes go to CB on backswing during feathers and to OB during forward feather.

However, PJ Nolan and a few other good coaches say eyes move to the OB just before the FINAL backswing and stay there but others have the eyes moving back to the CB near the end of the final backswing and then up to the OB. In my opinion this encourages head movement.

Just remember to at least check the CB once during the feathering but don't get into really detailed eye rhythm as that will cause you a lot of pain. Just let it happen since as long as you drop your head straight down you should be on your chosen lone of aim. Once down in the address position DO NOT move the hips sideways to fine tune the aim as you will take the cue off-line.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and great advice everyone.

@Terry, I started looking at the OB while dropping down and it made a big difference already.

Comment

Working...
          X