No announcement yet.

Disrespectful or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But surely the commentators should not draw attention to it?!? He can't control what they say. I was 4 rows behind him and it wasn't noisy, obvious or distracting until the commentators mentioned it and I realised what happened.

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
      But surely the commentators should not draw attention to it?!? He can't control what they say. I was 4 rows behind him and it wasn't noisy, obvious or distracting until the commentators mentioned it and I realised what happened.
      Tbh I have never found myself unable to stop myself laughing out loud at the commentators prattle. If someone's funny bone is that ticklish, they shouldn't have an ear piece.

Comment

Agreed!

But I've realised that many of those in the audience have never actually played the game, therefore they have little appreciation for the effects of laughing at jokes etc whilst sitting in the arena. In fact I met many people who were only there as a partner to somebody and they had no idea of the rules of the game let alone the finer details like switching off their phone.

I do think Mark could have been more discreet in snacking but I disagree, personally, with the notion that this was an attempt to rattle John or distract him in any way - they are both great players and I don't believe neither had to resort to any such antics in their pursuit of winning

Comment

The only thing Mark did wrong in my opinion, was to continue eating the sweets after the initial response from the audience.
          He should have realised his opponent, no matter who it was , could well have been disgruntled by the fact that he was actually crowd pleasing. This remember was a critical period in the match, so should've been slightly more professional. I don't think for a second it was a deliberate attempt to unsettle John

Comment

Good posts Anish and I think the players know each other well enough not to let it be a distraction. Unless they hate each other and don't speak to each other then maybe it could be seen as trying to unsettle the other player but I don't think it was intentionally done to do this. He had the munchies and it was offered. End of.

Comment

Thanks, Steve.

I was really pleased at how John's wife and young kids were so sporting in cheering Mark during his interview at the end. Must be hard to watch your family lose and yet they still had the graciousness to applaud him. Shows mutual respect goes beyond just the two players, I feel.

Comment

I dont think it was an effort to throw John off, I do think that commentators agrevate the situation by involving the crowd in a fictitious and imaginated situation. I think if anything bothered John was his lack of luck during the matches because he usually gets massive run of the balls.
                I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Steve Davis ate a cheese sandwich in the Crucible arena during his match with Dennis Taylor in 1979.

Comment

Working...
                  X