Finally finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
    Might be way off base here , but is there not 2 versions of a number 10 6811 cloth ? Single shaved and double shaved ?
    That's one for Geoff. All I know the cloth I have now is totally different then my old one and they where both stamped exactly the same.
    " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
    " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
    http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
      Might be way off base here , but is there not 2 versions of a number 10 6811 cloth ? Single shaved and double shaved ?
      There's only one version of No10 but 2 versions of tournament cloth 30 & 32oz with the 32oz more hard wearing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
        6811 tournament is 30 oz , they also do a 28 oz version ,
        but it is mainly sold as 30 oz and has this weight stamped into on the transfer on the edge of the cloth as can be seen in this attachment http://gclbilliards.com/watch-out-fo...snooker-table/
        Thank you for that info Geoff, as I never knew that. I'm getting a 6811 cloth which was originally supplied by Shendler with their tables but wasn't used. It will be interesting to see if it's the 30oz gold or the 32oz club stuff (more likely as the tables were installed in a club, but with Hainsworth Match cloth). I have a decent price on the bed cloth but might re-think it if it's the club and go to our wholesaler and get the good stuff if he has it. The damned Precision is twice the price of the 6811 or Match)
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
          6811 tournament is 30 oz , they also do a 28 oz version ,
          but it is mainly sold as 30 oz and has this weight stamped into on the transfer on the edge of the cloth as can be seen in this attachment http://gclbilliards.com/watch-out-fo...snooker-table/
          It would be the club cloth that's 28oz Geoff not tournament

Comment

here are the details from the Strachan Snooker Cloth webpage, as I am getting confused by people's use of "no 10, 6811, 30oz, 28oz, and Club"

No. 10 Championship 931g/m(30oz/yd)
            6811 Tournament 30oz 931g/m (30oz/yd)
            6811 Tournament 32oz 992g/m (32oz/yd)
            6811 New Club 868g/m (28oz/yd)
            6811 Original Club 931g/m (30oz/yd)
            Special 1054g/m (34oz/yd)
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              here are the details from the Strachan Snooker Cloth webpage, as I am getting confused by people's use of "no 10, 6811, 30oz, 28oz, and Club"

No. 10 Championship 931g/m(30oz/yd)
              6811 Tournament 30oz 931g/m (30oz/yd)
              6811 Tournament 32oz 992g/m (32oz/yd)
              6811 New Club 868g/m (28oz/yd)
              6811 Original Club 931g/m (30oz/yd)
              Special 1054g/m (34oz/yd)
              Thanks Dean for clearing that up. Mine is 6811 Tournament 30oz. I spoke to Strachan last year as I was concerned because mine seemed slow and heavy and his explanation it is material just like any other material and when it is made it can have fine differences from one bolt to the next one being a touch heavier and one being a touch lighter but we are talking very very fine differences.

Comment

I hope mine will be that 28oz club stuff
                Terry Davidson

Comment

This would be the scenario if I had my own table.
                  Friends round having a nice time ,everyone's had a few drinks it's all going swimmingly , someone asks if they could have a few games of snooker on my table. Music off, drinks taken out their hands , coats handed out, front door closed behind them, HAPPY NEW YEAR
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    I hope mine will be that 28oz club stuff
                    Did you specifically order the new club cloth

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                      Did you specifically order the new club cloth
                      No, we have a new room opening up here and they bought 8 Shender tables and also bought 8 Hainsworth Match cloths. When the tables arrived the cushions were already done in 6811 and there were 8 x 6811 cloths with the tables. They now have 8 x 6811 cloths going spare and I'm buying one at a good price from the owners. So not certain what type it is, but it's half the price of the Precision and that's a wholesale price I would get from the local supply company.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        This would be the scenario if I had my own table.
                        Friends round having a nice time ,everyone's had a few drinks it's all going swimmingly , someone asks if they could have a few games of snooker on my table. Music off, drinks taken out their hands , coats handed out, front door closed behind them, HAPPY NEW YEAR
                        Haha, awesome. That would be me as well lol
                        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It is 30 oz but it weighs 28 oz , I have weighed it , officially it does not exist but I will explain why it does. so that is why I include it in my cloth weights , but it is pot luck if you get it , I think les has had an explanation from the supplier that it can be slightly different from batch to batch .

the machines at the Strachan mills in Stroud are operated by People and not computers , so adjustment to the shave of the nap is controlled by turning a dial to bring the cutting blades to the cloth nap ready to cut it .

it only takes a person to putt that dial a fraction to the right when setting the cutting depth and it takes that fraction off the cloth , making it very slightly thinner and almost unnoticed to normal people who do not handle it every day , that is why you can get inconsistencies with the 6811 tournament on thickness
                          This is proved when you come to recover and take a 30 oz 6811 tournament off and replace like for like , you can feel the difference in thickness , and when it comes to re-covering the cushions all those previously tight wood cushion cloth retaining slips are all loose on the slightly thinner cloth , and that is why I got hold of a good set of accurate scales and weighed a bed cloth at 12 ft 6 inch and a strip of cushion cloth to make up the 8 square meters , it worked out almost bang on 28 oz ,
                          [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Great explanation Geoff. You went into more depth on the matter. I noticed as soon as I went to take my first shot and put my hand on the table the cloth felt thinner and less nap. I think my previous cloth on my last table was a tad heavy, maybe the person running the dial turned it to the left....

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                              I bought Damp Chasers which I have 4 installed and only use 15 watts each. I have installed an outside thermometer with the probe incased in spray foam insulation and fastened to the slate in Center of table. Keeps the slate right around 22 C. http://www.dampp-chaser.com/home. Here is a photo of mine after all wiring installed.
                              Hi Les can you remember where you bought those Dampp Chasers from? The Dampp Chaser website has links to US hardware stores I think...

P.S. I'm in Kingston Ontario

Thanks
                              Indi

Comment

Working...
                              X