Cue action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue action

Hi all just a quick question about cue action when I pull back the cue light grip I have been told my cue spins slightly is this good or bad what would cause this and also when I strike object balls and the cue ball hits object ball it can jump up slightly after contact

Originally Posted by phill147 View Post
    Hi all just a quick question about cue action when I pull back the cue light grip I have been told my cue spins slightly is this good or bad what would cause this and also when I strike object balls and the cue ball hits object ball it can jump up slightly after contact
    Good morning !!

Not sure what you mean by that .

IF you're talking about rocking the cue up and down abit ( kind of Matthew Stevens cue action ) during backswing , i do'nt think that's a problem .
    As long as you keep the cue parallel to the table at the same time .
    Usually a flick ( movement ) of the wrist or moving your elbow joint abit up and downward , during backswing is the cause of it.
    Although , I do'nt think a coach would consider this as an text book scenario !!

A loose grip ( firm grip ) - effortless cuing and follow through smoothly is important .

Comment

no you dont want to be rotating the cue when feathering, or on the final back swing, and especially on the delivery. i find this can cause unintentional side.
      as for the jumping ball thing could be your timing and or cueing down on the white, would have to see a video of you in action to get what you mean.

Comment

As for the cue rotating it's either you closing or opening your fingers and allowing the cue to roll up and down in your grip or else you wrist is not staying stable at the same angle from your forearm. Either on of these habits is bad, especially the changing wrist angle.

As for the balls jumping I think j6uk has it right and you are digging down into the cueball and this causes the cueball to literally jump across the cloth (especially on power screw shots) and you will have to lower the attack angle of the cue (cue should be 1" or less from the top of the cushion) and not change that height during the backswing and delivery. Smooth is the key word.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

ve heard of CB spins.
          cue spins ? new to me.!!

spins = rotating
          Does make sense indeed .

@ Phill 147,

consider my previous post as an ............. as an ......................... as an off the topic and irrelevant post.
          Apart from good morning part , of course

J6 / Terry / thanks guys .

Comment

I agree with what is said but some cue twisters can still play to a decent standard.

Comment

Just to play Devil's advocate, you can see John Foster's cue twisting on that head cam 147 video he posted on here, so maybe not that much to worry about?

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...985#post924985

Comment

Damn you Byrom!

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  Just to play Devil's advocate, you can see John Foster's cue twisting on that head cam 147 video he posted on here, so maybe not that much to worry about?

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...985#post924985
                  great minds... u like a brother from another mother

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    I agree with what is said but some cue twisters can still play to a decent standard.

Not bad I suppose, for a cue on line centre line cue ball striker, but he will get nowhere playing like that.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

if your timings good and your not twisting on impact with the white you can get away with it, but when i was playing i found more constancy minimizing cue rotation.

-
                      Last edited by j6uk; 23 July 2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Terry are you saying the the wrist should be locked in one position ..my wrist always moves

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
                          Hi Terry are you saying the the wrist should be locked in one position ..my wrist always moves
                          If your wrist is moving on either the backswing or delivery in a lateral direction (not back and forth) then the butt of your cue HAS to be moving off the line of aim. Your cue will also rotate. You have to loosen the grip way back.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

It's just back and forth I a line with my cue ...it gives me more power

Comment

He uses helping side on most shots

Comment

Working...
                              X