Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Hello all,

I'm an older guy with a renewed interest in cue sports, and discovered snooker via what may be the only publicly-accessible snooker table in the state, at the Billiards Café, in Ayer, Massachusetts, just under an hour's drive and 42 miles, from Boston proper.

There's an active "snooker ladder," a league-like organization, using a handicapping system so everyone can feel competitive.

I've only played two matches so far, and one session before that, for a total of about 10 frames so far. My high break in match play is 13. I know, not very impressive, but I'm better each time I play.

I purchased my own cue, a Chinese-made set with 2/3 cue, short extension, telescoping extension, and case, via Woods Cues. I think it's quite nice considering the cost, and I play better with it than the house cues.

I'm still not completely clear on all the rules (and also on cue care, as the ash shaft is quite different from the maple shafts of my pool cues). I'm still confused about touching balls, and foul and a miss, and various details about the rules. I'm reading the rule book as my attention span allows, but there is certainly nothing like playing with a knowledgable player, or better yet, a referee. (We don't have referees.)

So far I find it a fun and interesting sport.

Cheers,

jv (John)

Welcome to TSF John .

You can pick up lots of tips and advice on here . Plus there are some excellent videos that show virtually all the aspects of the game . And in addition a few practice routines as well .

Search the site and you should find all the info that you need .

If not , just ask and someone can point you in the right direction .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Welcome to TSF

Here is a website that has tried over the years to find every snooker table in the US,
      http://www.findsnooker.com/
      Is yours on the list, if not let the owner know
      Maybe some others are around that you did not know about (public at least as opposed to private members' clubs )

Glad you are reading the rules, amazing how many don't
      Just ask here (in the Snooker Questions sub-section) any thing you like concerning the rules

Looking after a snooker cue is very simple:
      Generally just wipe down before and after use, with a very very lightly damp cloth and dry immediately with a dry cloth.
      Not much else is needed unless the cue gets very dirty.
      Often it is your hands that are "sticky" and not the cue itself, so play with clean dry hands.

For info please see what two of the top snooker cue makers say on the subject:
      https://handmadecues.com/cue-care/
      https://www.parriscues.com/cue_care/

also depends on the finish of the cue; e.g. if you have a varnish finish, oiling wont do anything much really.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Welcome back to cue sports and welcome to the forum. It seems to be a friendly, knowledgable place, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Apart from a lack of snooker tables, I'd rather be your side of the pond than this.

Comment

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome!

Cheers,

jv

Comment

Hi John, next time I visit Providence? Will look you up and give you a game.
            Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Thanks, but please know, it's a bit of a hike from Providence to Ayer.

Comment

Originally Posted by jviss View Post
                Thanks, but please know, it's a bit of a hike from Providence to Ayer.
                John, it's even further from Hull in Yorkshire. No problems, time is not an issue for me nowadays. Usually fly into Logan, stay awhile in RI. Then down to Memphis (another friend) finally usually leave from D.C. after visiting old colleagues in a certain five sided building.
                Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
                  John, it's even further from Hull in Yorkshire. No problems, time is not an issue for me nowadays. Usually fly into Logan, stay awhile in RI. Then down to Memphis (another friend) finally usually leave from D.C. after visiting old colleagues in a certain five sided building.
                  O.K., great. Let me know when you are visiting next.

Comment

Working...
                  X