No announcement yet.

Sighting vs aiming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with everyone who says it almost impossible to improve any great amount, if at all, playing once a week for a few hours. The reason being ,you have to get your cue action honed so that you can repeat it time after time, and I don't think this action ,memory, can be achieved without doing it every day for hours a day. Can you get a bit better? I'm not even sure of that, because there is too big a time gap between sessions, just enjoy it , and I would like to recommend snooker pro tips on you tube, everything from the grip, stance ,aiming etc is explained by the fella, right through to the more advanced stuff, it's a very good starting point.
    I can't remember who said it (or even if someone did lol) but I agree and I don't think coaching would help, again because of the little time you spend on the table, snooker pro tips could help you do a wee bit of self coaching, with the very basics, and this is all I would try and do.
    Unfortunately there are no short cuts, I wish there were, but if it was easy it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Over analysis is an absolute killer when you first start out, I know, I did it, and it just held me back, learn the basics and try and repeat them every shot, that's it really, don't get dragged into elbow drops, grip configuration, etc etc. best of luck, have some fun.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

to j6uk:
      it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I don't think your sarcasm was needed, but I should not have told you to stay off the thread. That was out of order and I apologize.

to ace man, byrom and itsnoteasy:
      thanks a lot guys for your input. I'm taking everything you said on board.

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
        to j6uk:
        it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I don't think your sarcasm was needed, but I should not have told you to stay off the thread. That was out of order and I apologize.

to ace man, byrom and itsnoteasy:
        thanks a lot guys for your input. I'm taking everything you said on board.
        your welcome
        there was no so called sarcasm from me sugar but i can see how i could be taken the wrong way. i simply say it like the best coaches said it to me all those years ago, pre hole in the wall.. maybe its all a bit harsh and out of date for todays computerized metro males

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          your welcome
          there was no so called sarcasm from me sugar but i can see how i could be taken the wrong way. i simply say it like the best coaches said it to me all those years ago, pre hole in the wall.. maybe its all a bit harsh and out of date for todays computerized metro males
          Maybe also a bit of language barrier. No hard feelings then

Comment

no not from my end, where are you from then culture wise?
            Maybe also a bit of language barrier. No hard feelings then

Comment

no not from my end, where are you from then culture wise?
              My first language is German, well sort of. We have a very broad dialect, a bit like the scots compared to the queens English. People usually think I'm south African. That's the best I can do after 20 years in England.

Comment

well you can't get more direct where your from ay.. i'll end on this, if your doing more time on the table than typing on here then your going in the right direction to improve. but again if you just enjoy talking about it, fine by me
                enjoy

My first language is German, well sort of. We have a very broad dialect, a bit like the scots compared to the queens English. People usually think I'm south African. That's the best I can do after 20 years in England.

Comment

well you can't get more direct where your from ay.. i'll end on this, if your doing more time on the table than typing on here then your going in the right direction to improve. but again if you just enjoy talking about it, fine by me
                  enjoy
                  Being limited to only once a week is not through choice, sometimes life's got different ideas. Anyway, I'm gonna stick up a vid of me and you can be as blunt as you like. I wont accept anything less than both barrels! I'm gonna end it on this.

Comment

I'm gonna stick up a vid of me and you can be as blunt as you like. I wont accept anything less than both barrels!
                    now your talking

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      OK, first of all I should explain 'right shoulder in line with the shot'. You can use your mirror to do this and it simply means the right shoulder should be hidden by the head when looked at from straight on. There might be just a little bit visible however actually your shorter height should mean you will be able to get more compact easier than a taller player. (See my avatar photo top left. I am not perfect but my shoulder is completely hidden by my head which you can see is turned very slightly to the right).

To get the shoulder (and elbow) aligned you have to bend the left knee and move the hips to the left and back as far as is comfortable and get the back straight and not curved. This will mean the right hip will be higher than the left and it will be less of a twist in the spine to get the shoulder behind the head.

Also very important is to try and get the LEFT armpit down as far as you can comfortably get it since the shoulder are connected and this will have the effect of raising the RIGHT shoulder up behind the head. It should also have the beneficial effect of aligning the elbow correctly. (In the avatar my left armpit is high because I'm controlling the remote for my camera. The cue is also a little too high).

One more point on the right elbow is to get it as high as you comfortably can BUT not by lifting it up into the chest but getting the chest down to the cue as far as possible and then trying to keep the elbow up and the cue against the chest while feathering, backswing and delivery. This will give you 4 points of control on the cue and provide a 'channel' of sorts to keep the cue on the same plane and also on the line of aim. The cue should be no more that 1" off the cushion and the butt should not raise or lower on the backswing or delivery (in other words on the same plane).

Terry
                      So I was reading this very good tips from Terry, thanks by the way and then I notice Terry says something about the camera remote is controlled by his armpit!!! That's perfectly brilliant!!!! I want to learn that too LOL

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        .....impossible to improve great amount, if at all, playing once a week. .... you have to get your cue action honed so that you can repeat it time after time..... ..... there is too big a time gap between sessions, just enjoy it , and I would like to recommend snooker pro tips on you tube, everything from the grip, stance, aiming etc is explained by the fella, right through to the more advanced stuff, it's a very good starting point.

I can't remember who said it but I agree and I don't think coaching would help, again because of the little time you spend on the table, snooker pro tips could help you do a wee bit of self coaching, with the very basics, and this is all I would try and do.

Over analysis is an absolute killer when you first start out, I know, I did it, and it just held me back, learn the basics and try and repeat them every shot, that's it really, don't get dragged into elbow drops, grip configuration, etc etc. best of luck, have some fun.
                        This Good Coaching Advice. Esp the Bold text.

Believe me Snooker technique is Simple! Is it Tough to play? You betchya, tough as hell to execute: spirit, mind, body, hand, eye, stick, butts, balls, cushions, 6 holes - all in coordination. Not to mention the Crap-Bag standing directly in your eye-line, and shoves the pint / beer to his mouth just as you are about to shoot!!! And this chump BTW is your 'mate'!

BUT break it down in small segments and the technique is simple and manageable. Over analysis will crap your game and your spirit. Constantly look for faults and you will default on your game.

Get the basics honed [as above post]. Keep it simple and stay away from know-it-alls. Above all "don't get dragged into elbow drops, grip configuration etc etc"

And avoid like plague people who make it sound Complicated and or too Scientific .
                        Last edited by mg222; 17 September 2014, 05:00 PM.
                        "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

Originally Posted by mg222 View Post
                          And avoid like plague people who make it sound Complicated and or Scientific .
                          yep..
                          i like to break the game down a bit, but only with someone who can play. even then you know it always comes down to the basics.

Comment

yep..
                            i like to break the game down a bit, but only with someone who can play. even then you know it always comes down to the basics.
                            Oh yeah... A nice, even heavy discuss on wherefores and where-nots and all the intricacies of snooker ..... is always good and well-come.

What I dont like to see when someone is trying hard to improve - he does not need complicated theories to learn the basics of snooker.
                            "I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." :snooker:

Success With Style : Muhammed Ali, Bjorn Borg, Magic Johnson, Mats Wilander, Michael Jackson, Stefan Edberg.

Comment

Working...
                            X