long potting video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long potting video

as mentioned earlier on another thread I find screw shot is more of a less is more - less thought on the shot will result in more screw - less thinking will allow you to deliver the cue sweeter and with more follow through and you will get what you want
    what is the most problem for cue ball control is the little 3-6" screw
    Last edited by DeanH; 18 September 2014, 08:33 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      as mentioned earlier on another thread I find screw shot is more of a less is more - less thought on the shot will result in more screw - less thinking will allow you to deliver the cue sweeter and with more follow through and you will get what you want
      what is the most problem for cue ball control is the little 3-6" screw
      I can totally relate to that. It's the fear of over screwing or not screwing it back far enough and you end up sort of punching at it

Comment

I was accumulating around 80hrs a month of snooker practice when I started years ago and would say half of that was probably on my own, not sure how many times my cue was lobbed across the car park in frustration after having a really bad session.
        I know it's hard to fit in many hours but I remember I used to set myself tasks and wouldn't leave until I achieved them, I had good players around me but never had any coaching whatsoever and in the end you do realise that practice and learning from your own mistakes pay dividends. If you are unhappy with your stance and approach my advice would be find a decent player where you play and ask him to watch you approach and hit the ball and I'm sure he will put you right and then work from there.
        Someone telling you how to approach and hit a ball on a forum is completely different to someone just giving you a nudge down the snooker club in real life.

Comment

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna do what j6 suggested and work on the line up. But first of all I'm gonna learn to relax and try not to overthink everything. Thanks again everyone

Comment

theres no shortcuts, the only way to improve is lots of practise

Comment

I'm not a coach - not even a good player! - but when you practise your long pots, you had a nice steady pre shot 'routine'.

Do you do this when you're in amongst them or speed up the address?

Along with what the others have said about shot selection and cue ball control, I find a common mistake with a lot of players is that when practising shots like yours, you take time and set yourself before the shot yet when playing a frame that generally goes out of the window!

That was probably the biggest thing my coach taught me - make every shot the same (well as much as possible) with the same pre-shot routine.
              #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
                theres no shortcuts, the only way to improve is lots of practise
                You're right Matt, bit of a sticky point for me though. There's already been a -lets say- lively discussion about this subject in a previous thread. If you're interested go to"sighting vs aiming". But I'm begging you buddy, please let sleeping dogs lie!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                  I'm not a coach - not even a good player! - but when you practise your long pots, you had a nice steady pre shot 'routine'.

Do you do this when you're in amongst them or speed up the address?

Along with what the others have said about shot selection and cue ball control, I find a common mistake with a lot of players is that when practising shots like yours, you take time and set yourself before the shot yet when playing a frame that generally goes out of the window!

That was probably the biggest thing my coach taught me - make every shot the same (well as much as possible) with the same pre-shot routine.
                  That's an interesting point cueman thanks. Will try and be aware of it next time I play.

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                    You're right Matt, bit of a sticky point for me though. There's already been a -lets say- lively discussion about this subject in a previous thread. If you're interested go to"sighting vs aiming". But I'm begging you buddy, please let sleeping dogs lie!
                    Sorry mate i didn't realise.

cue action looks good in your video.

check out this one of Ronnie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthXRHxj18A relaxed and confident, this is what were all aiming for
                    Last edited by matt926_uk; 21 September 2014, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by matt926_uk View Post
                      Sorry mate i didn't realise.

cue action looks good in your video.

check out this one of Ronnie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthXRHxj18A relaxed and confident, this is what were all aiming for
                      No worries mate, I was only joking. I absolutely love that video of Ronnie, have watched it many times before. Poetry in motion. J6uk has got a video of Shaun Murphy on here somewhere. Try to find it mate. Well worth a watch!

Comment

found it
                        http://youtu.be/B5-IX37pyGo

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                          great video! Shaun Murphy is so great to watch. I've been to one pro event and what i noticed as well as in this video is how effortless it seems to them. The faster cloths really help.

Comment

Working...
                          X