Howe's that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howe's that?

NEW boy Nigel Howe prevailed in a humdinger of a final to claim the first leg of the southern stage of the English Masters Snooker Tour (40+).

The 40-year-old from Basildon pocketed £80 prize money after edging Simon Dent 3-2 at Dunstable Snooker Club.

Speaking after his tour debut, Howe said: “It was a good day for me. I played some very solid stuff.”

And he paid tribute to his opponent from Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex.

“Simon is a great guy and we were involved in a great final, in which we both seem to play well and enjoy.

“To win event one with a few breaks as well was a great feeling and I look forward to going to Southampton (for the second leg) with confidence.”

Howe, who had earlier in the day compiled breaks of 40, 41, 47, 40, 48 and 46, took the first frame of the final with runs of 42 and 51.

Dent levelled on the black in the next and in a ten-minute third frame made a 47 only for Howe to reply with a 68 clearance for a 2-1 lead.

Although Dent levelled again, this time on the pink, he was forced to shake Howe’s hand on the colours in the decider.

The runner-up collected £40 plus £15 for the day’s highest break of 86, made in the group stages.

The second leg is at Cue Sports Snooker Lounge (formerly Cue T’s), Marchwood, near Southampton, on Saturday, October 25.

Following the fourth leg, players from the north and south will join together and compete nationally over three more legs.

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X