Advice on handmade cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on handmade cues?

This may seem like a silly question but I've noticed that some handmade cues have a little square piece of wood showing at the base of the cue in a different colour when it's completed. Why is this? Thanks
    In advance for your help

If it's square then it will be the shaft running right to the end, if it's round then usually a plug to hide the weight (I think)

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Yeah I did mean square..

Comment

The square or sometimes rectangle is the shaft wood, its just where its been planed down to fit the splices

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            If it's square then it will be the shaft running right to the end, if it's round then usually a plug to hide the weight (I think)
            Not sure, as my Jason Owen cue had been weighted, but had a square end on it.

Comment

square peg for a square hole
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                Not sure, as my Jason Owen cue had been weighted, but had a square end on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16964[/ATTACH]
                You can put weight in them during splicing Bill as well as drilling up at the end.

Comment

Ahh, that explains it. Thanks Andy.

Comment

I've seen it where there's a gap where a weight is fitted and then a piece of ash added at the end to make it look as though its 1 solid piece of wood running the length of the cue, when its not!

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                      I've seen it where there's a gap where a weight is fitted and then a piece of ash added at the end to make it look as though its 1 solid piece of wood running the length of the cue, when its not!
                      are you sure that it wasn't just a section that had been removed to put the weight in?
                      http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I haven't a clue how a cue is made, but I don't see how this can be avoided Dave, you either have a gap in the shaft where the weight is as you have said or you drill it and add the weight which shortens the shaft and will need plugged anyway unless there is an alternative.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                          are you sure that it wasn't just a section that had been removed to put the weight in?
                          Could be done that way, my point is that a 1 piece cue isn't always 1 piece of ash running the whole length of the cue as most people think.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            I haven't a clue how a cue is made, but I don't see how this can be avoided Dave, you either have a gap in the shaft where the weight is as you have said or you drill it and add the weight which shortens the shaft and will need plugged anyway unless there is an alternative.
                            It wouldn't shorten the shaft as the hole drilled will be smaller than the diameter of the shaft wood, it would need to be plugged in some way but often you can still see the shaft wood especially if there's an SD joint fitted. I've also seen center jointed cues weighted by being bored from the center downwards to give a more forward balanced cue. So many different ways to weight a cue depending on if its 1 piece or jointed.

Comment

Cheers Dave, I was only thinking about a one piece, but like you I would like the shaft to go all the way to the bottom of the cue if possible, even if it's just nicer to know you are using one complete piece and it makes no difference to how it plays.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X