Screwback..............................again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    It's also to do with how relaxed your grip is at the back of the cue...I raise the butt slightly when screwing back and lower tip right at bottom and never seem to miscue - unless there's hardly any chalk on the cue!

Secrets to screwing back

=====> Relax grip
    =====> Good follow through
    =====> Aiming tip as low as poss on CB with raised butt very slightly...

Works for me...
    Bang on, relaxed grip don't punch at the ball or try to hit it hard that's stun shut and you'll shorten your follow through.
    Guys like Ronnie and co with the screw shot they are so smooth through the ball it's all in the grip, backswing and follow through as others have said let the cue do the work.

1 thing I was shown to work the screwshot was to set up a 3/4 ball pot on the green and practice bringing the white in between the pink and black and bouncing it off the back cushion. If you can do that your generating a fair amount of cue power and you'll be suprised you dont even need to crack the green into the pocket that much the power is on the white from the acceleration through the ball and the timing of holding on to the white as you get through creates the reaction you desire.

Good luck

Comment

I remember Murphy splitting the pack off a spotted green. No cush involved just from the green straight down the table to hit the pack, pack split beautifully.

Him and Stephen Lee,, the best at it. Lee, such a miss to the game..
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

I might have missed it but although everyone agrees follow-through is necessary no one has mentioned that you must accelerate through and beyond the cueball for a decent amount of screw. You will screw back a bit even if you hit the cueball with no follow-through but you still hit it on the bottom.

Those that say they are hitting the bottom of the cueball and not getting any screw at all are wrong because they only THINK they are hitting the bottom of the cueball. If there's someone on here who can do some research there is a video Bill Werbeniuk(sp?) screwing the CB back with the balls barely 1/2" apart by not elevating the cue but actually lowering it onto the cushion and gripping the cue so his hand will hit the rail just as he strikes the CB and he got a ton of screw with absolutely no follow-through.

In the video on Stephen Lee please note the amount of follow-through and also how flat the cue is and see where his elbow ends up. The follow-through must have been at least 12" or more and he accelerated right through to the end until his hand hit his chest.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

In the video on Stephen Lee please note the amount of follow-through and also how flat the cue is and see where his elbow ends up. The follow-through must have been at least 12" or more and he accelerated right through to the end until his hand hit his chest.

What do you think about him saying not to lower the cue because you're more likely to scoop the ball? He basically says to have the cue angled to some degree, almost hitting down onto the white.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I might have missed it but although everyone agrees follow-through is necessary no one has mentioned that you must accelerate through and beyond the cueball for a decent amount of screw. You will screw back a bit even if you hit the cueball with no follow-through but you still hit it on the bottom.

Those that say they are hitting the bottom of the cueball and not getting any screw at all are wrong because they only THINK they are hitting the bottom of the cueball. If there's someone on here who can do some research there is a video Bill Werbeniuk(sp?) screwing the CB back with the balls barely 1/2" apart by not elevating the cue but actually lowering it onto the cushion and gripping the cue so his hand will hit the rail just as he strikes the CB and he got a ton of screw with absolutely no follow-through.

Agree with Terry you must not underestimate the value of constant acceleration through the ball and with a positive follow through, i believe this is what Joe Davis meant when he said 'you get through the white and you hold on to it to play screw'

You time the pace of the white with the pace your follow through goes through and this will generate enornous cue power with very little effort like the guys like jimmy ronnie etc do it

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
              What do you think about him saying not to lower the cue because you're more likely to scoop the ball? He basically says to have the cue angled to some degree, almost hitting down onto the white.
              I noticed in the video his cue is only about maybe 2" above the cushion. I would say a player has to have a pure straight stroke in order to raise the butt to screw back.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Played earlier for 2hr with some reds and just the blue on its spot. I was practising the theory ""hanging on to the cue ball"" for as long as possible, when screwing back off straight reds ( half table length ) to get back for the blue.. Worked very nicely when in the zone and carrying out the theory / technique. Lots of effortless zip on the CB.

Tel, have you selected your new playing cloth yet?..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                  Played earlier for 2hr with some reds and just the blue on its spot. I was practising the theory ""hanging on to the cue ball"" for as long as possible, when screwing back off straight reds ( half table length ) to get back for the blue.. Worked very nicely when in the zone and carrying out the theory / technique. Lots of effortless zip on the CB.

Tel, have you selected your new playing cloth yet?..
                  We're going to do Precision as the shipment has arrived and I gave my word so I won't be changing to Match or the 6811 30oz cloth
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                  X