X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

potting just with sides

Not been on for a while...

Who the flip is Derek P?

I think we might have finally found a new member who actually knows what he's talking about.

cracking posts on numerous threads, knows his stuff

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post

Who the flip is Derek P?

I think we might have finally found a new member who actually knows what he's talking about.

Cheers mate I used to post on here years ago am nothing special as a snooker player know they are plenty better but I can knock in 80s and 90s and chasing my first ton I’ve just been coached a bit by Jim Donnelly so my opinions on the game are largely influenced by what I’ve been taught if it helps few folk or enjoy what am saying ten I’m buzzin bout that like I says before I don’t take myself as some authority this is just what I’ve learned and like everyone here am obsessed with the game lol

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        nish,

Are you sure your getting through the CB for the above mentioned black?. Its a funny oll game. On certain shots some players seem to not get through the CB that well, like a bad habit.

Just a consideration, bud....
        Also agree with this make sure your not quitting the shot should still be able to pot the black plain ball with ease

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post

Who the flip is Derek P?

Derek might wear Tokyo's too, buddy..

Hahaha, hope your well....
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

potting just with sides

Throtts loooooves my undergarments x

Comment

Haha,,

Hi Derek & Pott,

Played a quick one earlier ( 40 mins ) and just played up and down the centre. I normally use side here and there. It was cool without and hit some nice breaks.

I could be converted to play Tokyo snooker then, bud. Sublime stuff :snooker:..
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                Also agree with this make sure your not quitting the shot should still be able to pot the black plain ball with ease
                Hey, so heres something I wanted your opinion about. Check out this youtube video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wh_1Us8ZM

I have 2 questions.

1. You notice how he plays with helping side and it makes his game look really smooth and easy. Thats how I used to play when I posted this thread and followed your advise later on. Any comments of if what he's doing can be implemented or is it still a bad idea?
                2. Also, I see that he goes down on the shot a bit off the cue ball. I've noticed this in a lot of headcam videos. I don't know if its me that gets down the wrong way because the way i see the balls on the table is completely different than what this guy sees in his video. Also, U felt the same way in a mark selby's headcam video of a couple of shots where I think the cue ball was bit towards his right and not exactly straight off his chin.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally Posted by nishant View Post
                  Hey, so heres something I wanted your opinion about. Check out this youtube video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wh_1Us8ZM

I have 2 questions.

1. You notice how he plays with helping side and it makes his game look really smooth and easy. Thats how I used to play when I posted this thread and followed your advise later on. Any comments of if what he's doing can be implemented or is it still a bad idea?
                  2. Also, I see that he goes down on the shot a bit off the cue ball. I've noticed this in a lot of headcam videos. I don't know if its me that gets down the wrong way because the way i see the balls on the table is completely different than what this guy sees in his video. Also, U felt the same way in a mark selby's headcam video of a couple of shots where I think the cue ball was bit towards his right and not exactly straight off his chin.

Thanks,
                  Hi nishant, check out what Ronnie O'sullivan says on his eurosport masterclass piece about swerve if you can. Could be of interest.
                  Easy on the garlic....

Comment

I have 2 questions.

Thanks,
                    Ok Nishant I don’t quite know what I’m looking for with regard to your question on how he plays with helping side, during the full break I see about 2-3 blacks with a tiny amount of side when the balls are pretty close anyway their isn’t going to be much throw from what he’s playing I wouldn’t be this obsessed with using side or not. If you notice when he has distance from the half ball black or any of the other shots where he’s not using a cushion everything is plain ball stun or screw.

Also that table looks painfully slow to me by today’s standards that’s a really old club style cloth you can tell especially the way he plays the yellow it cracks the back of the pocket and if you played that shot on a decent fast cloth the white would be down at the black spot he barely makes it to the green.

In the old days when balls were heavier and the cloths were slower you probably had more of this ‘helping side’ idea on potting cos it was easier to judge the throw cos it all happens in slow motion but again with modern conditions I don’t feel it’s a good idea to play pots with side just to make it easier to pot the ball cos when you switch tables and balls or even cues you’ll have to start from scratch.

My best advice for you is to concentrate half as much and be half as obsessed about finding the centre of the cue ball every time you play a shot and this is more difficult than it sounds or we would all be pros. Forget side until your regularly making 40 breaks you just don’t need it to the extent your warranting it’s attention. Make it your obsession to hit centre of the white.

My question for you is can you pot 7 or more long blues from the cue ball dead straight on the baulk line? Straight pot direct in with stun no side required? Tell me how many out of 10 you can do honestly and let’s see what we can work on from there.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                      Haha,,

Hi Derek & Pott,

Played a quick one earlier ( 40 mins ) and just played up and down the centre. I normally use side here and there. It was cool without and hit some nice breaks.

I could be converted to play Tokyo snooker then, bud. Sublime stuff :snooker:..
                      In my opinion and from what I was shown it's centre ball striking and your proficiency to consistently hit the centre of the white and understand that to get position on 90% of balls with plain ball striking is actually the key to good consistent solid snooker, anyone who says different go argue with Steve Davis 6 world titles and he held a world ranking lower than his age until he chucked it. The guys cueing was solid, it's well documented how much time he devoted to simple routines like long blues, cueing over the spots etc and it's good enough for a world champion then the average club player should stop trying to play the hurricane higgins blue every shot and start knocking in some serious breaks using Steve's tried and tested method. Ps my favourtie players are Jimmy White, Alex Higgins & Ronnie but we'll never play like them and in the case of Jimmy and Alex even they couldn't live up to their names consistently which is why it's Davis's and Hendry's name on the trophy in those era's

Comment

In my opinion and from what I was shown it's centre ball striking and your proficiency to consistently hit the centre of the white and understand that to get position on 90% of balls with plain ball striking is actually the key to good consistent solid snooker, anyone who says different go argue with Steve Davis 6 world titles and he held a world ranking lower than his age until he chucked it. The guys cueing was solid, it's well documented how much time he devoted to simple routines like long blues, cueing over the spots etc and it's good enough for a world champion then the average club player should stop trying to play the hurricane higgins blue every shot and start knocking in some serious breaks using Steve's tried and tested method. Ps my favourtie players are Jimmy White, Alex Higgins & Ronnie but we'll never play like them and in the case of Jimmy and Alex even they couldn't live up to their names consistently which is why it's Davis's and Hendry's name on the trophy in those era's
                        Hi Derek, so heres the update.

I've just been practising cue-ing straight since past couple of days. I'd place the cue ball on brown spot and send it up towards black ensuring it comes back in a straight line. In another practice, I'd place cue-ball on brown spot and blue on its own spot. Hit the blue full ball to ensure it comes back and hits my cue-ball.

After putting in about 8 hours into it, I figured that sometimes my cue goes slightly offline during delivery if I am trying to "go-through" the cueball. This used to happen because I usually deliver the cue using my wrist and the elbow joint, so whenever theres no more room for my hand to go forward, my wrist would slightly twist to keep the cue going which would throw it offline.

To counter this problem, I started delivering the cue with my shoulder. And a fantastic co-incident is that Barry Stark posted a video about this a few hours ago after I figured it out. Using my shoulder to deliver the cue ensures that I have enough of room (length of the cue delivery) without having to use my wrist which used to cause all sorts of problems. I've noticed dramatic difference in my long potting. My today's score was 8/10 for blue-ball-long-shot from the bulk. Just replying it here in case you're still following me. Here's the video from barry stark that will help you understand if my words are confusing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5QrJGUocAo . So now I am using what you will see Ronny O'Sullivan doing in that video which is freaking amazing. Again, know that I started implementing this naturally a couple of days before this video was posted.

Comment

Hi Derek, so heres the update.

I've just been practising cue-ing straight since past couple of days. I'd place the cue ball on brown spot and send it up towards black ensuring it comes back in a straight line. In another practice, I'd place cue-ball on brown spot and blue on its own spot. Hit the blue full ball to ensure it comes back and hits my cue-ball.

After putting in about 8 hours into it, I figured that sometimes my cue goes slightly offline during delivery if I am trying to "go-through" the cueball. This used to happen because I usually deliver the cue using my wrist and the elbow joint, so whenever theres no more room for my hand to go forward, my wrist would slightly twist to keep the cue going which would throw it offline.

To counter this problem, I started delivering the cue with my shoulder. And a fantastic co-incident is that Barry Stark posted a video about this a few hours ago after I figured it out. Using my shoulder to deliver the cue ensures that I have enough of room (length of the cue delivery) without having to use my wrist which used to cause all sorts of problems. I've noticed dramatic difference in my long potting. My today's score was 8/10 for blue-ball-long-shot from the bulk. Just replying it here in case you're still following me. Here's the video from barry stark that will help you understand if my words are confusing --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5QrJGUocAo . So now I am using what you will see Ronny O'Sullivan doing in that video which is freaking amazing. Again, know that I started implementing this naturally a couple of days before this video was posted.
                          Good work mate glad to hear you are putting the work in to improve your game, stick with it your on the right track for sure if your knocking in the long blues at that rate. Use that routine as your reference point to check your basics whenever you have a problem or just want to check your technique.

As for the Ronnie drive I’m glad that’s working for you I naturally drive the cue I was never taught that or coached it into my game ever since I was 10 playing snooker I could screw the white full length of the table with ease mainly due to that technique I believe it’s the key to effortless cue power and you see that with Ronnie.

I’ve seen mines in videos and it isn’t quite as much as a drop as Ronnie but I do do it, when I’m playing really well I also start to have a natural little dip when I pause on my backswing so I kind of dip and then drive but I was never coached to do it so sounds like your same as me found it yourself naturally

Comment

I’ve seen mines in videos and it isn’t quite as much as a drop as Ronnie but I do do it, when I’m playing really well I also start to have a natural little dip when I pause on my backswing so I kind of dip and then drive but I was never coached to do it so sounds like your same as me found it yourself naturally
                            Yup, mine drops much as Ronnie's when its a long shot at a full table's length. It just makes all the long shots sooooo easy as long as I got the angles right. So what I do is I practice from 8AM to 12PM... go home have lunch and go back to club to play a couple of games with anyone. When I posted this thread, I could hardly make a color after my red even though I know cue-ball control. I've gotten pretty good with angles in past couple of weeks just by spotting the edge of the object ball (in most of the cases) and walking in the shot. Now that I can cue straight most of my shots, the only time I miss is when I have the wrong angle.

I am consistently making breaks of 25ish during my games against our local club players (we're all beginners / casual players). After 25ish I end up losing cue ball position or will probably miss a shot. However, past 3 days have been really exciting and feels like i've learnt a lot more in these 3 days than I did in a few years. Also, the long blue pot seems so easy with this new cuing that I am following.

My pre-shot routine now includes-
                            1. Stand about 2 to 3 feet away from table and judge the angle > visualise the shot and cue ball.
                            2. Walk into the shot, put my cue close to the cue-ball and ensure its aiming at the height I want it to (strength of stun/ follow etc).
                            3. Cue about 2 to 3 times unless I am sure its all set.
                            4. Simply release the cue using my shoulder-elbow with the speed that I want.

The best part here is, whenever I miss now, I know exactly what went wrong so that it can be worked on.

Comment

Yup, mine drops much as Ronnie's when its a long shot at a full table's length. It just makes all the long shots sooooo easy as long as I got the angles right. So what I do is I practice from 8AM to 12PM... go home have lunch and go back to club to play a couple of games with anyone. When I posted this thread, I could hardly make a color after my red even though I know cue-ball control. I've gotten pretty good with angles in past couple of weeks just by spotting the edge of the object ball (in most of the cases) and walking in the shot. Now that I can cue straight most of my shots, the only time I miss is when I have the wrong angle.

I am consistently making breaks of 25ish during my games against our local club players (we're all beginners / casual players). After 25ish I end up losing cue ball position or will probably miss a shot. However, past 3 days have been really exciting and feels like i've learnt a lot more in these 3 days than I did in a few years. Also, the long blue pot seems so easy with this new cuing that I am following.

My pre-shot routine now includes-
                              1. Stand about 2 to 3 feet away from table and judge the angle > visualise the shot and cue ball.
                              2. Walk into the shot, put my cue close to the cue-ball and ensure its aiming at the height I want it to (strength of stun/ follow etc).
                              3. Cue about 2 to 3 times unless I am sure its all set.
                              4. Simply release the cue using my shoulder-elbow with the speed that I want.

The best part here is, whenever I miss now, I know exactly what went wrong so that it can be worked on.
                              Good for you mate sound's like your on the right track, keep working at it and your scoring will get heavier as you get more confidence with the new technique.

Comment

Working...
                              X