Natural Potting Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Wouldn't 10.30 (45 degree angle) be nearer quarter ball? Half ball is nearer 30 degrees (one hand on 6 one hand on 11)?
    I would have thought the following:

Full ball 12:00
    3/4 ball 11:15
    1/2 ball 10:30
    1/4 ball 9:45

O ball 9:00

My point was just the half ball.

In degrees:
    If you hit it:

Full in the face (12:00 o clock) - 360
    Skim/miss (9:00 o clock) - 270

Half ball must be between the miss and the full in the face so that's why 10:30 or 315 degrees.

A little over complicated as all I'm saying is if you can see a 10:30 that's a half ball hit (I think). Under pressure on a black it might help! (or not)
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Natural Potting Angles

Unfortunately, that isn't correct. Half ball hit (aiming the centre of the cueball to the edge) is approximately 30°. Quarter is a few degrees over 45 and 3/4 a couple of degrees under 15. I won't go into detail with why, this is why google exists, but the error you are making is presuming that the amount you adjust your aim moves the impact point between CB and OB the same amount. This isn't the case, because the balls are spheres not flat planes.

Comment

Unfortunately, that isn't correct. Half ball hit (aiming the centre of the cueball to the edge) is approximately 30°. Quarter is a few degrees over 45 and 3/4 a couple of degrees under 15. I won't go into detail with why, this is why google exists, but the error you are making is presuming that the amount you adjust your aim moves the impact point between CB and OB the same amount. This isn't the case, because the balls are spheres not flat planes.
        Thanks for that, well I guess this is the point of the post and why I am posing it.

I will give it some more thought!

Comment

Would you agree that the 10:30 position is a natural half ball pot?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            Only when potting to the left !!!

Don't forget the purpose of the half ball comes from billiards
            Reference point to aim for (edge of OB)

Throws the cue ball to its widest throw possible for any given stroke - this is the main reason in billiards to know the reliable half-ball throw without using spin - add check side and it more narrower, add running side and it move slightly wider

Comment

Natural Potting Angles

Not sure whether I'm 100% on what you mean by 10.30, but if you mean that the cueball is at six o clock, and the pocket half way between 10 and 11, and the object ball is in the centre of the clock, then that would be nearer quarter ball (slightly thick though) i.e. you'd overlap a quarter of the balls by aiming the centre of the cue ball a quarter ball width past the edge of the object ball.

Comment

Natural Potting Angles

The easiest way to check all this is to place a second object ball as a ghost ball touching the OB, then walk around the table looking at different angles. Also, exercises like the Steve Davis one posted above. Trying to use maths to understand the logic, when the logic is the contact point between two spheres, isn't going to help you during a game. It's complicated maths if you try to work it out with pen, paper and a calculator. What fractional aiming does help with, is to find the general area of aim, and can act as an initial guide. All you need to know is that half ball is 30°, quarter is a hair off 45° and 3/4 is a hair off 15°. These are approximate, because looking for a 48° or 13° angle isn't so easy to visualise. If you google fractional aiming and look under the images tab, these angles will get confirmed for you in the images listed. You can research to understand why, but the general gist is that moving your aim 1cm to either side doesn't move the contact point 1cm to either side, it's less linear because of the curved surfaces.

Comment

Natural Potting Angles

I learned to aim using ghost ball initially, but i didn't find it that useful for longer shots or thin cuts. I found parallel aiming more useful. It's a method you can use to visualise the desired contact points on the CB and OB, then you simply hit the CB so that they hit each other. It's more precise that fractional aiming, and easier to visualise than an imaginary ghost ball. Check out https://www.thoughtco.com/mosconis-method-parallel-aim-368685 for the details

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Half ball should be 11 and 1 o'clock. Three quarter ball should be 11.30 and 12.30 o'clock. And quarter ball should be 10.30 and 1.30 o'clock

Comment

But what if the club shuts at 10 o'clock?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        You're in the wrong club☺

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          I have a key so I can come back at 10:30........

Comment

Lots of good replies here guys and some interesting points.

I thought it may get complicated but thought the discussion would be worth it as it may bring up some misconceptions!

Comment

Originally Posted by tmax View Post
                              Only when potting to the left !!!

Don't forget the purpose of the half ball comes from billiards
                              Reference point to aim for (edge of OB)

Throws the cue ball to its widest throw possible for any given stroke - this is the main reason in billiards to know the reliable half-ball throw without using spin - add check side and it more narrower, add running side and it move slightly wider
                              Very good point. We used to put a ball directly between the object ball and the pocket to prove the cue ball throws round and going back on line.

Comment

Blacks, high cue ball around 3/4 to 1/2 ball are a real cause of bewilderment for me

Pretty much any other pot I can at least see it, but I miss these from 6 inches so it’s my angles, not my cueing.

Weirdly, low CB blacks I see it much easier.

I set up a high 1/2 ball black yesterday and didn’t pot it in 3 attempts.

Anything straightish or even 3/4 and cuts I pot them more often, just finding BOB on those “middle of ball” shots I find really hard. Bob just doesn’t appear and when it does it’s wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X