No announcement yet.

Table cloth selection..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe off topic a bit but what wieght of cloth did they use on tv professional snooker in the 1980s.
    I recently played on a steel block bwatt old table that had a very heavy nap on it and found it brilliant for screwing the ball compared to the thinner cloth on my own table and other tables.
    Anyone found the same.
    I guess its a 32oz or something.

Comment

No 10 30 oz used on all ranking events worldwide since 1980 .
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Geoff:

A quick question for you (and any others who care to respond). I was going to get Precision installed on my table however we are having difficulty getting it and I've been waiting over 2 months now and my 6811 cloth is getting a bit worn.

How would you compare Hainsworth Match against 6811? I can get either one of those right away. I'm thinking more of playability rather than durability.

Thanks ahead of time,
        Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I fit all Hainsworth match to tables to the Cue ball club in Derby they did try the Precision but did not like it as much as the match , I also cover the cushions on these tables in thicker smart hainsworth cloth for durability , they swear by it , but it will not last as long as 6811 , i find after 6 months of play if looked after and brushed blocked and ironed well a 30 0z 6811 tournament will play like a match cloth
          also hard to get hold at times they do a lightweight 6811 tournament which is around 28 oz , I say 29 oz as this was once quoted to me by a firm that stocked it .
          match cloth is normally around 28 0z
          hainsworth do have a reputation of having a mixed fiber cloth where the Strachan cloths are 100% pure new wool .
          that is why they recoemmend the no 8 setting on the irons for hainsworth and no 9 hotter setting for all wool strachan .
          at the end of the day the length of the nap is what is going to decide if a cloth plays fast , longer naps tend to have more cue control of cue ball .
          of course if you have it too thick it will play really slow , they do make 6811 at 34 oz too .

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
            I fit all Hainsworth match to tables to the Cue ball club in Derby they did try the Precision but did not like it as much as the match , I also cover the cushions on these tables in thicker smart hainsworth cloth for durability , they swear by it , but it will not last as long as 6811 , i find after 6 months of play if looked after and brushed blocked and ironed well a 30 0z 6811 tournament will play like a match cloth
            also hard to get hold at times they do a lightweight 6811 tournament which is around 28 oz , I say 29 oz as this was once quoted to me by a firm that stocked it .
            hainsworth do have a reputation of having a mixed fiber cloth where the Strachan cloths are 100% pure new wool .
            that is why they recoemmend the no 8 setting on the irons for hainsworth and no 9 hotter setting for all wool strachan .
            at the end of the day the length of the nap is what is going to decide if a cloth plays fast , longer naps tend to have more cue control of cue ball .
            of course if you have it too thick it will play really slow , they do make 6811 at 34 oz too .
            Very knowledgeable Geoff and thank you. The only thing I've ever seen on the 6811 was 'Gold' which is what I have on my table now and it's playing well but worn a bit around the pockets and with depressions on the spots, especially black and blue.

I'll speak to my table fitter and see what he can do as I'm not sure he can get 6811 at 29oz and also not sure he can get Match or Smart.

Cheers
            Terry Davidson

Comment

try these spots ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ivy-Adhesiv...ds=green+spots

I use them all the time the thinnest smallest spots that are effective to stop the dipping and wear of spot area .

iron them on to bond with cloth , this will save your cloth from wearing on the spots , replace every month .

professional tables have a new cloth every three days , do not try and copy pro tables with no spots , your cloth has to last more than 3 days .

I am fitting one of the thinner lightweight 6811 tournaments tomorrow to a match table , it is the last one I have in stock .

it has the two blue embroidered lines on the edge but it lacks the 30 oz on the iron on transfer , it carries no weight do not order 29oz 6811 tournament as they may not understand that weight ,

just ask for the lightweight 6811 T , but not lightweight 6811 pool that is 26 oz and not tournament at all .
              it has to have those two blue embroidered lines on the edge to be tournament .
              Last edited by Geoff Large; 12 November 2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

try these spots ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ivy-Adhesiv...ds=green+spots

I use them all the time the thinnest smallest spots that are effective to stop the dipping and wear of spot area .

iron them on to bond with cloth , this will save your cloth from wearing on the spots , replace every month .

professional tables have a new cloth every three days , do not try and copy pro tables with no spots , your cloth has to last more than 3 days .

I am fitting one of the thinner lightweight 6811 tournaments tomorrow to a match table , it is the last one I have in stock .

it has the two blue embroidered lines on the edge but it lacks the 30 oz on the iron on transfer , it carries no weight do not order 29oz 6811 tournament as they may not understand that weight ,

just ask for the lightweight 6811 T , but not lightweight 6811 pool that is 26 oz and not tournament at all .
                it has to have those two blue embroidered lines on the edge to be tournament .
                Thanks again Geoff. My table is too worn out around the pockets to try and save it for a few more months but I will see if our wholesaler (just one in Ontario) has the 6811 T with the blue stripes and then see if my fitter can get it. Right now I have 6811 Gold on my table and it has played very well with the dehumidifier and ironing it every once in awhile.

I recognize those spots as I was sent a card of white ones by Ferret once as a sample and I used them on a #10 that got worn and they worked well.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Thanks again Geoff. My table is too worn out around the pockets to try and save it for a few more months but I will see if our wholesaler (just one in Ontario) has the 6811 T with the blue stripes and then see if my fitter can get it. Right now I have 6811 Gold on my table and it has played very well with the dehumidifier and ironing it every once in awhile.

I recognize those spots as I was sent a card of white ones by Ferret once as a sample and I used them on a #10 that got worn and they worked well.
                  The tournament is sometimes called Gold Tournament , a throw back to when tournament and club was referred to as Gold and silver .
                  they still have Gold tournament on the transfer as they never changed it to just Tournament guess they have thousands to use up still .

http://gclbilliards.com/strachan-681...des-of-weight/

Comment

The tournament is sometimes called Gold Tournament , a throw back to when tournament and club was referred to as Gold and silver .
                    they still have Gold tournament on the transfer as they never changed it to just Tournament guess they have thousands to use up still .

http://gclbilliards.com/strachan-681...des-of-weight/
                    I talked to my fitter and he wasn't aware of the 3 grades of 6811, however he has already received the Precision I committed to so I will keep my word and not change things up. He says Hainsworth had a sale on Precision and he did get a lot cheaper price than it was the last time I researched it, $500 as opposed to over $800. Not sure what's driving that.

He himself prefers the Match but he doesn't have any in stock right now or he would have changed my order to that. He noted when he gets the Precision the rail cloth is thicker than the bed cloth and he thinks that's Smart for the cushions.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• Tell him to trim his finger nails with precision
                      I put my fingers straight through the stuff pulling down the center pocket falls , but give hainsworth their due in customer care , they exchanged bed cloth no fuss .
                      Precision really is one of the thinnest cloths I have ever put on .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                        Tell him to trim his finger nails with precision
                        I put my fingers straight through the stuff pulling down the center pocket falls , but give hainsworth their due in customer care , they exchanged bed cloth no fuss .
                        Precision really is one of the thinnest cloths I have ever put on .
                        He is quite familiar with Precision as he has done many of them including an 8-table very busy club about 4+ months ago which he checked last week and he said the Precision is standing up pretty well. My own table won't get that much use so I should get over a year at least.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Anyone know if 6811 tournament is slower than hainsworth smart .
                          Is 6811 club any good

Comment

• Hainsworth smart in my opinion is the dregs of all cloth slow and clumps up in a very short time , the man made fibers trying to break free of the wool blend .
                            and often looks like fluff balls on a jumper or cardigan arm .
                            you have to iron it twice as much as any wool cloth to even come close to it being playable .

club is only £20 lower priced than 6811 tournament bed cloth kit , it is OK if you want a slow cloth that is going to last long time as that is what it is designed to do Last a long time .

6811 30 oz is the good all round cloth for life span and speed . you cannot have both but this Cloth meets a happy medium if looked after and ironed well it gets better and better as it is worn in , it is just that people cannot wait for that period to bed in .
                            that is why it is the best selling and chosen cloth around , and the that most fitters recommend including myself .
                            i never use club cloth really , in fact I cannot remeber when i last fitted one from new , I have refitted them on re-stretches but no new club cloths fitted for years
                            you tend to get his cloth from tight snooker hall owners or club committees .
                            it has to be given a choice just as low cost rubbish chalk is sold and good chalk , or low cost tips and expensive tips , there is a market for it .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                              We have had a Hainsworth Match cloth on our tables since early September and they have kept their speed and run spot on. The members are really pleased and the visiting teams love it.

We had to draw for venue for a league final and we lost the toss; the winning team chose to play at our club against us! I think that answer the question on whether they are any good or not, really please with ours.
                              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X