No announcement yet.

John Parris Ultimate or Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you enjoy it and buying a JPU is more than just a cue, its an investment as well, you always make your money back if you don't get on with it. Word of warning though, take JP's waiting times with a large pinch of salt. 12 months is a minimum wait, 18 months is more realistic even for the 3/4 jointed cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Hope you enjoy it and buying a JPU is more than just a cue, its an investment as well, you always make your money back if you don't get on with it. Word of warning though, take JP's waiting times with a large pinch of salt. 12 months is a minimum wait, 18 months is more realistic even for the 3/4 jointed cues.
      Yeah I'm assuming worst case in reality but it's still do-able wait for the 3/4 cues, unless your last name is Trump or O'sullivan theres no other way around a 1 piece in less than five years and it's too long a wait for my liking.

I just went fairly simple spec, 3/4 joint plain ebony butt like the one's Davis & Jimmy White have

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
        Bit the bullet and submitted the order for a 3/4 ultimate through the cue builder so I've got a years wait ahead of me certainly better than 5, here's hoping Parris cue's are indeed worth the wait.

It's my reward to myself for hitting the ton so I've got a deadline of 12 months to hit the first big magical number, wish me luck guys I'm determined putting lot of time on the practice table in the last couple months since I came back my games racing back up to my previous best standards.
        Yeh, good luck Derek! Sounds like you've got great support from a good teacher and a practice ethic to make that happen. It's also a fantastic way of managing to handle JP's waiting times without going bananas wanting to get your cue! 😉

Enjoy the information in your posts. Cheers.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

In 1996 I bought an Ultimate cue off John Parris for around £350 and only had to wait around 5 months for it to arrive

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
            Yeah I'm assuming worst case in reality but it's still do-able wait for the 3/4 cues, unless your last name is Trump or O'sullivan theres no other way around a 1 piece in less than five years and it's too long a wait for my liking.

I just went fairly simple spec, 3/4 joint plain ebony butt like the one's Davis & Jimmy White have
            Nice one, Derek.

I have a one piece JP Ultimate and a 3/4 JP Majestic. I love them both tbh. Yep, the waits are long, even a one piece leather case takes around 9 months to come..

I must post pics. Promised Deano I would....
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...cAAOSwVA5aAgjP

You can also try to sell it for crazy prices
              Well someone paid crazy money
              Current playing cue Trevor White
              3/4 ash cue

Comment

are ultimate shaft grain patterns/arrows supposed to more pleasing on the eye? i thought that was a prerequisite for ultimates but i've seen some recently that have had me questioning this

Comment

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
                  are ultimate shaft grain patterns/arrows supposed to more pleasing on the eye? i thought that was a prerequisite for ultimates but i've seen some recently that have had me questioning this
                  Really depends on what the player wants. O Sullivan's ultimate has pretty average looking grain but he wanted the final arrow to be about 6 inches from the ferrule. You can only go so far as to satisfy what someone wants if they're very specific about a shaft pattern.

Comment

I think the spacing of arrows is usually what defines an ultimate shaft to the standard range but finding these shafts is getting more difficult, especially for the UK based cue manufacturers.

Grain can vary though depending on where from the tree it was cut and age. Overall though, the playability is and should be the most defining quality. A lot of really nice looking shafts don't always play well, so sometimes its better to go for a grain that doesn't look perfect but plays great.

Comment

I have a JP Majestic and a JP Ultimate. The Majestic has the more prominent arrows. So, go figure.

Both play very differently though.
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

i was under the impression this is the reason behind such long waiting times, the waiting for suitable ash. some of the shaft examples i've seen surely were not select pieces that warranted the 5 year wait

Comment

i was under the impression this is the reason behind such long waiting times, the waiting for suitable ash. some of the shaft examples i've seen surely were not select pieces that warranted the 5 year wait
                          I think the real reason for the 5 year wait is that they only work 3 1/2 days a week and even then the hours are only 10-5. Producing standard ranges as well as the made to measure range, that is a lot of cues to produce and not enough hours put in to get waiting times down.

Their have been many reasons mentioned for the wait but anyone can see a lack of working hours is surely going to lead to reduced output. When you see how hard the Thai cue makers work and the hours they put in, waiting times are kept to around 4 months and yet they are exceptionally busy.

Comment

I found their opening hours a bit odd as well, I think on at least one of those days they're in but the shops not open to the public. The waiting time really has become obscene for 1 piece ultimates.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                              I think the real reason for the 5 year wait is that they only work 3 1/2 days a week and even then the hours are only 10-5. Producing standard ranges as well as the made to measure range, that is a lot of cues to produce and not enough hours put in to get waiting times down.

Their have been many reasons mentioned for the wait but anyone can see a lack of working hours is surely going to lead to reduced output. When you see how hard the Thai cue makers work and the hours they put in, waiting times are kept to around 4 months and yet they are exceptionally busy.
                              I think you’ll find that your quoting shop opening times to the public and not behind the scenes work hours.
                              VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                              Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                              Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                              Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                                Nice one, Derek.

I have a one piece JP Ultimate and a 3/4 JP Majestic. I love them both tbh. Yep, the waits are long, even a one piece leather case takes around 9 months to come..

I must post pics. Promised Deano I would....
                                Yeah mate get some pictures up would love to see them.

Comment

Working...
                                X