Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pear cue will it be “the one” ?

Hi all,

There’s two cues iv wanted for years one a pear shaft cue, I had a go with an old B&Ws pear cue about 10 years ago and iv wanted one since but the few I have come across since have been very wippy unlike the first one. The second one is a Burwat Champion, I have just always loved the design. So I have finally bit the bullet and decided to order a Glover Pear shafted Burwat Champion replica (9.7 tip, 57 length, 19oz, one piece) I have asked Tony to make the butt out of Macassar ebony because iv always liked that version, along with maple and tulip wood front splices and a short extension made out of the same wood as the butt. That will in theory complete my cue collection (of cues I actually use regularly) iv got a (again Glover cue) for English pool, one piece, old ash shaft, Tony said he had that piece of ash sitting in the corner of his workshop for 10+ years he just hadn’t used it because he didn’t think the chevrons would be particularly even and I didn’t care about the number or spacing of them. The colour of the ash shaft is gorgeous though. The butt is very simple, plain cocobolo with nothing else but the cocobolo is so amazingly figured anything else would ruin it. The spec of the cue is 57 length, 18oz and 8mm tip. Iv used that cue for about 2+ years and it’s by far the best cue iv ever used for English pool, it’s amazingly reactive and has great feel. The problem was with its 8mm tip I didn’t like breaking with it so I bought, off eBay an old 1 piece Snooker cue, maple shaft and good quality ebony butt. I took it down to Tony Glover and he gave it a look over and reckoned it was a good quality solid cue, no idea about maker as the badge had long gone but it was clearly a very old cue. I had it shortened to 57”, retapered and generally refurbished, the weight was loose so he removed the old one and the cue reweighted to 20oz, the tip size changed to 10mm, a new ferrule fitted and a break cue tip fitted. Again Tony made a great job and having a specific break cue has definitely improved my game. The obvious gap in my collection has been a Snooker cue, at times iv used the English pool cue but to be honest 8mm is too small a tip for me on a Snooker table. Therefore the rest of the time iv borrowed my Dads Snooker cue which sadly he can’t really use at the moment following surgery to his bridge hand. That’s an interesting and very good playing cue it’s a second edition ash powerglide conny, 1 piece. It’s a cue design he’s always liked so I bought him one for his birthday and sent it to Mike Wooldridge to be refurbished, which included removing all of the varnish a horrible job according to Mike but did show something which I believe is still showed on Mikes website, when he removed the varnish it revealed the points of the ebony but were far from level but had been made to look level by by painting in new level points in black paint over the top of the ebony! He then put on his ultrashine finish (which is awesome by the way) and one of his black spin ferrules and tips, which again work very well, certainly on that cue anyway. So over the last year iv mostly been using that cue, iv tried a couple of others here and there, a Parris classic, a Maximus Ultimate, a Wooldridge butterfly sliced cue and one of his later Black Legend cues but never found quite the one. The closest was the Black Legend, they are amazing quality cues and I would recommend them to anyone but Tony Glovers workshop is only about 20 minutes drive from where I live and iv been enormously happy with the other two cues from him so when I decided to have this Burwat Champion replica made it was only going to be by Tony. He seems to not only make great looking cues but ones with great feel too. Will it be “the one” will it feel as good as that pear cue from 10 years ago, we will have to wait and see and I will keep you posted and show some pics when it’s done.
    Sorry about the long post!
    Tom

Always exciting getting a new cue, hope it works out

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Always exciting getting a new cue, hope it works out
      Fairplay to you for reading the paragraph.

I looked at it and thought F**K THAT!

Comment

photos!
        a picture is worth a thousand words! :wink:
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          photos!
          a picture is worth a thousand words! :wink:
          Err he hasn't got it yet?

Comment

err, all the other cues he has currently...

(I just like looking at pictures of cues )
            Last edited by DeanH; 13 June 2018, 11:32 AM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yep always nice to see any cues 😎

Comment

Originally Posted by AmarZain View Post
                Fairplay to you for reading the paragraph.

I looked at it and thought F**K THAT!
                haha same!
                http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

quite enjoyed the little read actually

Comment

There’s two cues iv wanted for years one a pear shaft cue, I had a go with an old B&Ws pear cue about 10 years ago and iv wanted one since but the few I have come across since have been very wippy unlike the first one.

The second one is a Burwat Champion, I have just always loved the design. So I have finally bit the bullet and decided to order a Glover Pear shafted Burwat Champion replica (9.7 tip, 57 length, 19oz, one piece)

I have asked Tony to make the butt out of Macassar ebony because iv always liked that version, along with maple and tulip wood front splices and a short extension made out of the same wood as the butt.

That will in theory complete my cue collection (of cues I actually use regularly) iv got a (again Glover cue) for English pool, one piece, old ash shaft,

Tony said he had that piece of ash sitting in the corner of his workshop for 10+ years he just hadn’t used it because he didn’t think the chevrons would be particularly even and I didn’t care about the number or spacing of them.

The colour of the ash shaft is gorgeous though. The butt is very simple, plain cocobolo with nothing else but the cocobolo is so amazingly figured anything else would ruin it.

The spec of the cue is 57 length, 18oz and 8mm tip. Iv used that cue for about 2+ years and it’s by far the best cue iv ever used for English pool, it’s amazingly reactive and has great feel. The problem was with its 8mm tip I didn’t like breaking with it so I bought, off eBay an old 1 piece Snooker cue, maple shaft and good quality ebony butt. I took it down to Tony Glover and he gave it a look over and reckoned it was a good quality solid cue, no idea about maker as the badge had long gone but it was clearly a very old cue.

I had it shortened to 57”, retapered and generally refurbished, the weight was loose so he removed the old one and the cue reweighted to 20oz, the tip size changed to 10mm, a new ferrule fitted and a break cue tip fitted.

Again Tony made a great job and having a specific break cue has definitely improved my game. The obvious gap in my collection has been a Snooker cue, at times iv used the English pool cue but to be honest 8mm is too small a tip for me on a Snooker table. Therefore the rest of the time iv borrowed my Dads Snooker cue which sadly he can’t really use at the moment following surgery to his bridge hand.

That’s an interesting and very good playing cue it’s a second edition ash powerglide conny, 1 piece. It’s a cue design he’s always liked so I bought him one for his birthday and sent it to Mike Wooldridge to be refurbished, which included removing all of the varnish a horrible job according to Mike but did show something which I believe is still showed on Mikes website, when he removed the varnish it revealed the points of the ebony but were far from level but had been made to look level by by painting in new level points in black paint over the top of the ebony!

He then put on his ultrashine finish (which is awesome by the way) and one of his black spin ferrules and tips, which again work very well, certainly on that cue anyway. So over the last year iv mostly been using that cue, iv tried a couple of others here and there, a Parris classic, a Maximus Ultimate, a Wooldridge butterfly sliced cue and one of his later Black Legend cues but never found quite the one.

The closest was the Black Legend, they are amazing quality cues and I would recommend them to anyone but Tony Glovers workshop is only about 20 minutes drive from where I live and iv been enormously happy with the other two cues from him so when I decided to have this Burwat Champion replica made it was only going to be by Tony. He seems to not only make great looking cues but ones with great feel too. Will it be “the one” will it feel as good as that pear cue from 10 years ago, we will have to wait and see and I will keep you posted and show some pics when it’s done.
                    Sorry about the long post!
                    Tom

Original Source: New Pear cue will it be “the one” ? http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz5IKHEHBs1
                    - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
                    Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook

Comment

Thought that would make it less of a challenging read, no disrespect Brookst.

I play with a Pear cue now for pool, really whippy and I love it.

Comment

I will start making one for a friend soon..
                        For that one you've always wanted...
                        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                        X