Kyren Wilson's cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    Agree with you on the above...it's players that just cue with a short backswing and don't lengthen or shorten it when required. Theses players tend to jab when more spin/ power needs to be generated.
    Yeah agree 100% if you don't lengthen it when your back at long or medium range you'll cause real problems for yourself.
    I think it's very useful in the balls tho to tighten things up, I never learned that naturally I was taught that and it made a big impact on my short game have stuck to it ever since and I'm much more consistent in my postional play and feel of the cue ball due to that one very simple adjustement your right tho you can't do that all over the table or you'll snatch and if you use big backswing in the balls you'll likely decel unless you have the timing of an osullivan.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
      Yeah agree 100% if you don't lengthen it when your back at long or medium range you'll cause real problems for yourself.
      I think it's very useful in the balls tho to tighten things up, I never learned that naturally I was taught that and it made a big impact on my short game have stuck to it ever since and I'm much more consistent in my postional play and feel of the cue ball due to that one very simple adjustement your right tho you can't do that all over the table or you'll snatch and if you use big backswing in the balls you'll likely decel unless you have the timing of an osullivan.
      I keep my backswing reasonably long although I play a lot through the feel of the back hand and grip. You have to commit and stay with the shot but the pros far outway the cons in how much I feel I can generate in terms of spin and power without ever feeling I am hitting the ball hard if that makes sense. It's not for everyone though.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
        I keep my backswing reasonably long although I play a lot through the feel of the back hand and grip. You have to commit and stay with the shot but the pros far outway the cons in how much I feel I can generate in terms of spin and power without ever feeling I am hitting the ball hard if that makes sense. It's not for everyone though.
        I do that and get lot of reaction for little effort on my midrange or longer game backswing I don't hit the ball hard either it's all just feel and timing.
        I do tighten up everything in the balls tho I feel I'm more consistent doing that and 9 times out of ten it's just little variations of stun/screw/stun run or plain ball am doing with that action when i need a reverse screw off the cushion or a run through with top or something i go back to the bigger backswing I think this is what John Higgins favours? Mark Allen is very compact in the balls I like how he plays a break obviously Ronnie is godlike but trying to mimic his technique is either something you got naturally or it will be difficult and cost you some pots on decels.

I do drop the elbow like ronnie though when going through with screw or mega forcing stun I wasn't taught that just naturally feels right.

Comment

Kyren's acceleration seems to be quite sudden though. To me it looks as though he starts off quite slow and suddenly speeds up, as mentioned though could be a timing technique, but I've always found it a bit strange aha.
          ''It's just really drafty to be honest'' - Kyren Wilson

Comment

Almost 99% of the top players use the same technique, which is start slow then accelerate through the strike. The difference is some guys are accelerating gradually and others, like Kyren or Stevie Maguire, have a slightly longer build up before accelerating. The advantage of this technique is that it gives you more time to refocus your eyes on the object ball and it also gives you a better control on the delivery. It is really efficient, especially amongst the balls, in a tight space. It is pretty textbook and you can't go wrong using it.

The video Barry Stark shot about Kyren is really excellent in that regard. You can clearly see how composed and confident Kyren is. It is a very solid and simple technique. His positionning on the T-break practice routine is perfect. As said, it gives you a lot of control on the stroke.
            Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

He was probably taught to cue this way by Barry Stark.

Comment

Yes he was. Barry has been his coach since he was 12 years old. It was said on Eurosport during the week that Barry and him decided to completely 'deconstruct' his cue action some time ago to rebuild it totally. Took time but it was efficient.
                I would be curious to see the extent of this deconstruction, how does a coach apprehend this, how does he do....Might ask Barry directly!
                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                X