Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you use 0000 grit steel wool to clean your cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    The wool can be used very softly......
    I'd still use just a damp cloth as it doesn't take any wood off. Eventually you may need to grain fill after 2/3 years but that's fine.

When I used it on a Parris a few years ago that was softly, still ruined the cue over time, each to their own.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      I'd still use just a damp cloth as it doesn't take any wood off. Eventually you may need to grain fill after 2/3 years but that's fine.

When I used it on a Parris a few years ago that was softly, still ruined the cue over time, each to their own.
      I had someone do this with water on a freshly oiled cue.
      Over night as I had to take the lacquer of the cue and oil it but wasn't left a lot of time to do it.
      Then complained that all the oil had come off but doesn't happen to his Parris cue...
      For that one you've always wanted...
      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am reviving this post (which is mostly about regular / routine cue-cleaning) to ask about a slightly different matter: a once-and-for-all cleaning. Last time I changed my tip I had a little problem, a very tiny bit of glue remained on one of my fingers and that was transferred to the shaft, right in the middle of it.
        It is really a minimal quantity, I can play without any problem. It only feels like a bit of stickiness and you need to look for the exact point, it does not affect the shot at all.
        But once you know there is that bit of stickiness at some point of the cue, you go mental and you end up looking for it at the end of every session, and you regularly find it...

This is an ash cue. Do you think that 0000 steel wool would help taking that glue residual off the shaft without damaging the lacquer? And if not steel wool, what else? As I said, this would be just a one-time thing, my regular cleaning before sessions is exclusively the standard cloth or kitchen towel.

Thank you all in advance!

Comment

Are you saying the glue hasn't set and is still sticky ?

If so it can be removed with a cloth dampened in white spirit or IPA alcohol.

If the glue has set hard and your shaft is laquered then removing the glue with anything abrasive will leave white marks, if your shaft is oiled then there should be no problem using 0000 grade steel wool but apply a little oil over the area where the glue was removed.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Hi Vmax,

The glue has set -- the tip was changed several days ago -- what I meant by "sticky" was: when I pass my hand / fingers on the shaft, it feels smooth everywhere except in that area touched by the glue residual, it is less smooth and you feel some resistance.

I believe the cue was oiled when I bought it (it is a 2-year-old maximus ultimate) and I was thinking about oiling it soon. Maybe I should remove the glue residual with 0000 steel wool and then oil the whole cue then?

Comment

Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
              Hi Vmax,

The glue has set -- the tip was changed several days ago -- what I meant by "sticky" was: when I pass my hand / fingers on the shaft, it feels smooth everywhere except in that area touched by the glue residual, it is less smooth and you feel some resistance.

I believe the cue was oiled when I bought it (it is a 2-year-old maximus ultimate) and I was thinking about oiling it soon. Maybe I should remove the glue residual with 0000 steel wool and then oil the whole cue then?
              That would be fine, but go over the whole cue with 0000 grade steel wool afterwards, then remove the dust with a cloth dampened in white spirit or IPA alcohol before oiling it. Give it five coats allowing a day between coats and then leave it for a week to allow the oil to cure before using it.
              Don't use raw linseed as it doesn't cure, use boiled linseed or any one of a number of danish oils or tru oil, be prepared for a slight colour change in the shaft, subtle, but it will be there.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post

I had someone do this with water on a freshly oiled cue.
                Over night as I had to take the lacquer of the cue and oil it but wasn't left a lot of time to do it.
                Then complained that all the oil had come off but doesn't happen to his Parris cue...
                Hi mate

If it's just had a light coat then it may certainly remove some. Generally I apply a few coats and burnish them in so they are a little cooked you might say.

Obviously players have been cleaning their cues with a slightly damp cloth for years and I've been doing it for 40+ this year so as long as the oil on the cue has a reasonable quantity and bonding then it should be fine but one thin coat would be a test..

Comment

Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
                  Hello everyone,

I am reviving this post (which is mostly about regular / routine cue-cleaning) to ask about a slightly different matter: a once-and-for-all cleaning. Last time I changed my tip I had a little problem, a very tiny bit of glue remained on one of my fingers and that was transferred to the shaft, right in the middle of it.
                  It is really a minimal quantity, I can play without any problem. It only feels like a bit of stickiness and you need to look for the exact point, it does not affect the shot at all.
                  But once you know there is that bit of stickiness at some point of the cue, you go mental and you end up looking for it at the end of every session, and you regularly find it...

This is an ash cue. Do you think that 0000 steel wool would help taking that glue residual off the shaft without damaging the lacquer? And if not steel wool, what else? As I said, this would be just a one-time thing, my regular cleaning before sessions is exclusively the standard cloth or kitchen towel.

Thank you all in advance!
                  I've had a few cues in like this over the years with blotches of super glue on the shaft after retipping.

You can get super glue remover off Ebay.

Generally, if it's light smudges then you can apply the remover, wait for it to soak in and the remove with a lint free cloth, you will have to do this several times until it's all gone.

If the glue smudges are substantial or proud of the cue in height then I generally sand the glue under a large magnifying glass until close to the wood and then apply the remover.

if any if the super glue is close to the ferrule you have to be careful as you don't want it de activating any of the glue holding the ferrule on.

I normally do the occassional video on You tube (the snooker crazy grouo) so if I remember I might do one on this as it seems to crop up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X