Bittersweet victory for Wilson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittersweet victory for Wilson

MAIN Tour professional Gary Wilson has come a long way since he first met the late Malcolm Thorne.

But the world number 64 returned to his roots to honour the man who helped boost his early career.

Wilson pocketed £1,000 prize money after claiming The Malcolm Thorne Memorial Open, a Pro-Am launched by the EASB in tribute to their former media officer, who died in 2011 aged 60.

“It was a good day and it was a pleasure to take part in the competition,” said the 28-year-old from Wallsend, Tyne & Wear, after accounting for Essex-based Liverpudlian Allan Taylor 5-2 in the final at The Winchester, Leicester.

“I did know Malcolm quite well. I used to go down to Willie (Thorne’s) club when I was about 13 or 14 to play in the under-16 (tournaments) he used to run there.

“He picked me to captain the England junior team and play for the England men’s team after that, which he managed at the time.

“I was gutted when he sadly passed so I was really happy to win the competition in his name. It was supported well and I’m glad it’s on the calendar as Malcolm did a lot for snooker, especially at amateur and junior level.”

The north-east cueman had earlier compiled the day’s highest break of 102 in a 4-3 quarter-final victory over new professional Oliver Lines (Leeds).

Malcolm, the brother of ex-professional and esteemed commentator Willie Thorne, ran tournaments in Leicester and Coalville that became the go-to events for all young players with aspirations of making a career in snooker.

Tim Dunkley
    EASB Media Officer South and World Snooker coach

The English Association of Snooker & Billiards is the national governing body for the amateur game in this country. For more information about competitions, rankings lists and results, see www.easb.co.uk.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Nice to read, Malcolm was a lovely man.
    After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Working...
    X